Raga: Anandam

Rāga related discussions
hariharan

Post by hariharan »

Please listen to the following audio link of the song sung by Sri. Madurai Somu in an apoorva raga named " Anandam "(the raga mudra appears in the pallavi itself). May be the song is his own composition. While listening to the song , one can feel the sound of both M1 and M2 notes used in this raga Anandam, which is really very pleasant and adds beauty to the whole song itself. Can it be a janya raga of the 53rd mela Gamanasrama? Since both the Madhyamam swaras appear in the song, this rag has a close similarity to Rag Basant. Please correct my views and look for guidance from some of our expert rasikas in our forum, and post more details on this raga, its Aro. and Avaro. its Janya etc.,
Please Click here to download file
http://rapidshare.com/files/172568670/Azhakina_Mayil_- _Rag-_Anandam.mp3.html

Ragam: Anandam Talam: Adi
Pallavi:
azhakiya mayilinil Adiva murUgA
Ananda ragattil pAdi va murUgA

A.Pallavi:
Kolamam mayilEril kulamidum kumarA
pazhakiya iniyE pazhanivel murugA

caranam:
tanivazhi pOkayilE taRka tunai irukka
kanivudan pecinile..............................
manamudal isaindu mayyalil...............
dinavuyir vazhen titikka titikka

The lyrics, as heard from the song,are also posted which is incomplete and also may have mistakes. Please correct and post the full lyrics of this song. Thank you -
Radhekrihna
Hariharan
Last edited by hariharan on 12 Dec 2008, 11:23, edited 1 time in total.

VK RAMAN

Post by VK RAMAN »

"The file could not be found" message comes when we click on the link. Help please?

hariharan

Post by hariharan »

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

Appears to be a raga created by Somu (pending verification by Lakshman).
As far as I can see the tentative aro/avaro can be
S G3 M1 D1 N1 S' / S' N1 D1 M1 G3 S
which places it in the Gayakapriya mela (13). I do hear occasional pancamam in the avarohanam.
This appears to be a variation of sallapa with suddha nishadam inplace of the kaisiki.

Sounds really good. I wold recommend VKRaman to attempt singign in it!

hariharan

Post by hariharan »

cmlover, thank you for your efforts. The 13th mela, Gayakapriya is a vivadi mela which uses sudha nishadam. Nowhere in this song the sound of the note N1 is heard. Does it not have the shade of Rag.Basant or Poorvi, as both the Madhyamam Notes are heard in the song?

The notes that sound in this song other than the sadja swara are Sudha rishabam, antara Gandharam, Sudha madhyamam, Prathimadhyamam, Panchamam, Sudha Daivatam and kakalinishadam. Out of these notes, M1 sounds in the arohana only and M2 in avarohana. Panchamam swara appears only in the avarohanam and also appears to be a landing note. Nishadam seems to be a weak swara. So I have my view that either M1 or M2 is a anyaswara(foreign note). The Arohanam and Avarohanam of this raga, as per my observation, can be a janya raga of the 15th Mela M.M.G or the 51st Mela Kamavardhini with both Madhyama swara prayoga. The arohana and avarohana accordingly can be;

Aroh: S R1 G3 M1 D1 S or S R1 G3 M1 D1 N3 S

Avaroh: S N3 D1 P M2 G3 R1 S

Here I wish to say that, few ragas of the Hindusthani music also finds a prominent place in the Carnatic music Kutcheris. Rag Behag, Shyamkalyan, Basant, Hamirkalyani, Behag, Sarang, Kedar, Kamod, Chayanat, Nand etc., are few examples of ragas that use both the Madhyamam swaras either in the aroh. or in avaroh sancharas. More over, the Kalyan That of HM had accomodated more ragas in this variety,having both the madhyamams in the janya ragas. May be, this trend and taste would have set in the imaginative mind of Sri. Somu also, which had given birth to this fascinating ragam " Anandam" . It indeed fills the mind with so much anandam after listening to the song, the effect truely justifies to the name given for the raga by Sri. Somu.

Radhekrishna
Hariharan.
Last edited by hariharan on 15 Dec 2008, 13:24, edited 1 time in total.

VK RAMAN

Post by VK RAMAN »

Very melodious rendition. CMLover sir: I will comply with your wish.

Rshankar: Can you please listen to Madurai Somu rendition and let me know the lyrics.

hariharan

Post by hariharan »

Respected Sri. VK Raman, in my second attempt, I could make some corrections and also complete the omitted lyrics. The revised version is given under, but still may need corrections by experts. Please do try to bring this song out from your hearts, as wished by cmlover rasika. Cheers!

Pallavi:
azhakiya mayilil nI AdivA murUgA
Ananda ragattil pAdi vA murUgA

A.Pallavi:
KolamA mayilErI ulakidum kumarA
pazhakida iniyE pazhanivEl murugA

caranam:
tanivazhil pOkayilE takka tunai irukka
kanivudan pecinile tani kalai vadivE
manamudan isaindu mayyalin adikkAi
dinam uyir vAzhven tittikka tittikka

Radhekrishna
Hariharan
Last edited by hariharan on 17 Dec 2008, 10:04, edited 1 time in total.

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

Excellent! You have captured the ragam as well as the spirit of the song. In fact Somu's music is highly emotive. Thanks and congratulations.

Just some simple corrections to the lyric
Pallavi:
azhakiya mayilil nI AdivA murUgA
Ananda ragattil pAdi vA murUgA

A.Pallavi:
KolamA mayilErI ulaviDum kumarA
pazhakiDa iniya pazhanivEl murugA

caranam:
tanivazhi pOkayilE takka tuNai irukka
kanivudan pEccinilE tani kalai vadivE
manamudan isaindu mayyalin adikkAy
dinam uyir vAzhven tittikka tittikka

Radhekrishna
Hariharan
Thanks Hariharan for the splendid effort!

hariharan

Post by hariharan »

Thanks cmlover for the correction of the lyrics and now it is indeed looks so perfect wordings. Sri. VKR efforts are admirable and he is also requested to edit the lyrics in acidplanet.com The meaning of the song is really heart-touching and fits well to sing for any occasion.

The song 'ninaikatha neramillai muruga" in rag Ragesree is another master piece own composition of Sri. Madurai Somu on lord Muruga. This song is available in the sangeethapriya web site.

Radhekrishna
Hariharan
Last edited by hariharan on 18 Dec 2008, 22:12, edited 1 time in total.

VK RAMAN

Post by VK RAMAN »

Thanks Hariharan. I did make changes today to the lyrics as corrected by CMLover. I will be posting an Ayyappan bhajan in the bhakti section today. Please take a listen as it is very appropriate for this time of the year.
Last edited by VK RAMAN on 19 Dec 2008, 03:57, edited 1 time in total.

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

Sri hariharan
Though a lot of ragas are generally expressed with m by thamizh speaking folks say the rAgam mOhana ,we call it as mOhanam . I think in this case the rAga is only called Ananda rAgam and not Anandam rAgam as indicated in your post. Incidentally shri somu sings only as Ananda rAgam in this masterpiece tukkadA of his.
Last edited by rajeshnat on 16 Feb 2009, 20:36, edited 1 time in total.

gobilalitha

Post by gobilalitha »

topic romba anandamayirukku gobilalitha