voice culture/training question

To teach and learn Indian classical music
arunk

Post by arunk »

I am curious as to whether teachers (say the best ones) teach their students techniques that help them "roll the throat", an integral part of our music? I mean if you have to say do in akAram/ikAram/ukAram/okAram a phrase that breaks down to S-n-d-p-m-g-r-s in two aksharas of Adi of a madhyama kala song (i.e. most Thyagaraja songs), then you have do it by "rolling your throat". Now, if this delivered like how experts do, it sounds "natural" - the transition from swara/note to each is noticeable but still there is continuity. You overdo it, and it gets jerky. You underdo it, and you skid over the transitions and the end effect is just a gloss-over.

So the question is are there well known, specific techniques that are part of the trade to teach students to get this right reliably? Or is it the simple but somewhat vague prescription "simply do aakaram, ukaaram, ikaaram early in the morning for all varisais". Or is it like the good students simply are able to "reproduce" these naturally - and that you "either get it" or dont :) ?

Arun

ganesh_mourthy

Post by ganesh_mourthy »

Arunk you sure get it out of practice. since there are no syllables you have to observe , absorb and reproduce. Allow some time.

arunk

Post by arunk »

Practice works after you get "form" down. This is just like for any exercise - be it pure physical, mental, or one like this (which is physical but not in the same vein as a sports exercise)

Now many people can indeed get the form by observing and practicing as you suggest, but IMO the success of that depends much on the nature of the exercise i.e. how simple it is, or how "visible" the form is. For example, if you are watching some trainer doing a push-up or some similar simple physical exercise, and you are doing it along for the first time, your form may be off - but as you watch and train for a few days, you will get it. There is not a lot of magic to a push-up. Now, take swimming. For efficient swimming (where you can do many many laps on a pool as opposed struggle and lose breath after 1-2!), you absolutely have to get form down, which includes coordination. For swimming, this is way more complex than for a push-up. People do get training and direction on form and work on it, and it does take time (since there are a few factors which aren't that obvious or easily visible compared to a push-up).

So, I wonder if this particular case is more complicated, and less tangible/visible. After all you are to produce most motion on your throat, something you don't consciously do, and your mouth and jaw can help, or can greatly distort. So I think there are some subtleties involved in technique here. And, while many do get it, laying down techniques may help faster success for more people. For example, in western music, they have suggestions like relax your throat, chin up etc. etc. Are there any similar ones for our music particularly w.r.t rolling your throat?

I also am wondering if "practice until you get it" offers enough direction. Also "either you get it or dont" (which lot of us, including myself feel :-) ), is bogus. Eventually it is physical. The timbre of your voice you may not be able to change much and may not be instantly appealing to all, but the form and technique, I think most of us should be able to get and execute - with enough training after understanding the techniques.

Arun

saramati

Post by saramati »

I was watching the super singers in the Start Vijay TV recently, where Shri.Ananth Vaidyanathan offers help to the top 7-8 singers to help
improve their voice - open throat, head voice, chest voice identification and improvisation. The result of his training was there for all to see,
for the singers sang differently ( remarkable improvement) after attending his sessions.