T.M. Thyagarajan (TMT)

Carnatic composers (other than performing vidwans)
coolkarni

Post by coolkarni »

I have been wondering why it has taken so much time for us to discuss this maestro.
Especially since a large number of members here welcome ragas / krithis that are not frequently heard , in concert listings -past or present.
I find it fascinating that a disciple of Semmangudi -who had such a distinctive and unique style of his own- avoids a blind imitation of his Guru in style and content.
Take any concert listing of TMT and it is fascinating for its mix of the old and new, the rare and the familiar.
In the 80s , there were many occasions when I would see him move slowly between rows of chairs and settle down to listen to concerts - mostly youngsters -and he would often stay for the full concert.
I would be within a few feet of him , and it would surprise me to see such a senior artist taking the pains to come and attend concerts of youngsters

I hope to cover quite a few krithis here - the name of the composer has always been a blind spot to me.
It would be great if we can throw more light on this artist , through photos and links to articles and identification of the Composer of these krithis.

I would welcome others to upload similar stuff , in order to complete my understanding of this artist.

http://rapidshare.de/files/28860512/08- ... nohari.mp3

Saarasa_Samamirudu-Gowrimanohari

http://rapidshare.de/files/28865487/04- ... ohanam.mp3
Kadambari-Mohanam

sriucl

Post by sriucl »

Coolji,

Saarasa samamridu - Gowri Manohari - Swathi Thirunal - 2 kalai Adi

a beautiful krithi.

Kadambari Priyayai - Mohanam - Muthuswamy Dikshitar - Misra Chapu

Srivathsan

Vocalist

Post by Vocalist »

Even I enjoy TMT's music...I think one of the features I liked about his concerts was his interesting repertoire.

CSS

Post by CSS »

As a new comer to this group, I am overwhelmed by the amount of information and music available here. Having left Madras in the seventies, I am a Rip van winkle, having missed a lot of music in the intervening period.

Sri T.M.Thyagarajan used to teach music at the Central Carnatic College and my mother was doing her Vidwan Course in 1967-68. It gave me an opportunity to attend many classes of Sri TMT, as he was affectionately known, as a ten year old kid, along with my mother. A great vidwan, he sort of spoilt his voice by teaching his students, mostly ladies, at a high pitch ( tutions; 4.5 kattai). But it was probably economic compulsion that forced him do so. After all musicians in those days did not have it as well as they have it today. One of the most sought after teachers for tutions, most of his students were from Ceylon ( as it was known then).

One memorable cutcheri that I attended of his was at Velankanni School in 1968. A sparse audience of 25-30 people had the privilege of hearing him sing Narada guruswami ( Darbar), Paripalaya ( Pantuvarali ST) and Jagadheeswari ( Mohanam) - every one of them in great form. This was all the more thrilling because his voice struck form on that day. My only regret to this day - we could not record that great kutcheri. While he did get the SK, I personally feel that he did not get the support and recognition at the right time because of his outspoken nature. Great man. Great music !

coolkarni

Post by coolkarni »

CSS
Welcome and Thanks.
Having come to madras in 80,i can cover up for all these years !!...:D

http://quickdump.com/files/562413234.html
Click here to download
09-Sakalalokadhara-Valaji.mp3

http://quickdump.com/files/1455643125.html
Click here to download
05-Sridhara Pahi-Jayantasri.mp3

CSS

Post by CSS »

Coolkarniji,
Thanks for your warm welcome. Look forward to catching up on those missed years ( after I return to Madras)

meena

Post by meena »

Deleted
Last edited by meena on 06 May 2008, 03:56, edited 1 time in total.

arunsri

Post by arunsri »

The composition list has a few songs that have been set to tune by TMT

The varnam - gnyAna mArgam i sby vEdanAyakam piLLai set to tune by TMT

There are two compositions of Thanjavur Sankara Iyer

mAlmarugan - varnam in hindOLam
mInAkshi tAyE - pUrvikalyANI

which are both listed as TMT compositions. May be these are different from sankara iyer's compositions.

Radhakrishnan

Post by Radhakrishnan »

CSS wrote:his outspoken nature.
I remember an incident happened two decades ago at Music Academy during the December season. It was the morning lec dem session,theme manOdharma in CM,one lady was the presenting it,she was trying to explain how one can sing kalpana swarAs.TMT who was in the dais intervened ,said they never used to teach students how to sing kalpana swarAs( nAnge soLiKoduthathiLe) that poor lady got upset and they exchanged words.Finally somebody intervened(I think it was V.Subramaniam)and brought things under control.He said TMT’s remark was only his personal opinion and never meant to hurt anyone.

CSS

Post by CSS »

Very true. Kalpana swaras are never to be taught.

Having said that, most Sri Lankan students flocked to him in those days because he could really 'coach' the students to pass the Vidwan courses. After all, the candidate was given the title of 'Vidwan' on passing the examination !

He also had notation for the songs he taught. Should students be given notation or not is a moot point but there is a school which believes that the only way to learn music is to listen, listen and listen to different artistes and bhAnis and evolve your own style.

The point is that TMT sir's music was based on an extremely high level of manodharma, which is what he was referring to at the MA lecdem. But he had his compulsions too at certain periods of his career...
Last edited by CSS on 18 Aug 2006, 19:49, edited 1 time in total.

Vocalist

Post by Vocalist »

"but there is a school which believes that the only way to learn music is to listen, listen and listen to different artistes and bhAnis and evolve your own style."

If students learnt to a certain level, this would be a great idea indeed. Otherwise, it could be signing their death warrant in CM. I agree kalpana swaras shouldn't be written & taught (like they've been doing a LOT lately, both in India and overseas). Having said that, some artists who memorise exceptionally well, just write swaras ahead of each concert (it's not difficult to change a line of swaras on paper!) then they just go and sing them. While it's pleasant and all the rest of it, I think it's just as bad.

coolkarni

Post by coolkarni »

Lakshman

Post by Lakshman »

There are two compositions of Thanjavur Sankara Iyer

mAlmarugan - varnam in hindOLam
mInAkshi tAyE - pUrvikalyANI

which are both listed as TMT compositions. May be these are different from sankara iyer's compositions.
There is legitimate confusion here since there are two varNAs, both in hindOLa, and having the same staring words mAl marugan murugan. One is by TMT and the other by TSI. Here are the texts.

mAl marugan murugan (tv). rAgA: hindOLa. Adi tALA. Composer: T.M.Tyagarajan.

P: mAl marugan murugan kOla dAya kumaran
A: vElAyudan vaDivElan pAlAtishEyan paNimisaiyan
mA dha ma ga sa gA ni sA ga sa ga sa ga ma sA dha ni sA ni sa ga
sa ga ma dhA ga ma dha ni sA dha ma ga sa ga ma ga sa ma ni dha ni sA
sa ga ma dhA ga ma dha ni sA dha ga ma ga sa ni sA ma dha ga ma ni sA
C: vaLLi maNavALan varam aruLvAn

mAl marugan (varNa). rAgA: hindOLa. Adi tALA. Composer: Tanjavur Shankara Iyer.

P: mAl marugan murugan SaNmukhan manam kAttaruL dayALan
A: vEl aNindu viLangubavan mayilEri vandaruLbavan
C: anbAnavan azhagan

Lakshman

Post by Lakshman »

If anyone has access to TMT's other compositions I would like to hear from them. Thanks.

Vocalist

Post by Vocalist »

Paduvai Maname in rAgamAlikA?

meena

Post by meena »

Lji

if u have the txt. for Sakalalokadhara-Valaji and Sridhara Pahi-Jayantasri - kji u/l, can u pl. post. thanku

sriucl

Post by sriucl »

Meena,

Sridhara Pahi - Mysore Vasudevacharya - Jayanthasri - Roopakam

P : Sridhara Pahi Dhayakara Vedasugochara Giridhara

AP : Yadhava varadha Parathpara Pathana Thamara Sukakara

C : Bhusuradhi Palanapara Vasudeva Muralidhara
Bhasura Mani Bhooshana Narakasura Hara Dhamodhara

------

Srivathsan

Lakshman

Post by Lakshman »

Vocalist:
I was looking for the lyrics. I already have the song titles.
Thanks.
By the way, pADuvAi manamE is by Guru Surajananda.

Lakshman

Post by Lakshman »

sakala lOkAdhAra. rAgA: Anandabhairavi. jhampa tALA.

1: sakala lOkAdhAra saccitAkAra prakaTitAgama jAla padmAvilOla
2: agaNitaguNa grAma AtmAbhirAma mrgamadAnkita phAla mitrAnukUla
3: nagarAjavara dhIra nAnA vihAra khagarAjavAha nirgata bhavamOha
4: vikaca vArija nEtra vispuradgAtra shakalitAsura jAla shAnyEka mUla
5: bhagavan bhayApara bhakta mandAra nigama shIrSArAma nityAptakAma
6: sakala sannutaguNa sAdhu santrANa makaradhvajAkAra manjuLa hAra
7: kalita kaustubha shObha kALamEghApa bala bhadra krtakhEla bAlagOpAla
8: madana gOpAla sanmAnita shIla mudam Ehi dEhi sura muni brnda vandya
9: sArasAkSa mukunda saccidAnanda dhIra nArAyaNa tIrtha sugIta

meena

Post by meena »

sriucl/Lji

thanku :)

kmrasika

Post by kmrasika »

IINM, TMT also composed songs??? I believe the dvAdaSha ra~njjani mAlA, "ne~njjinil niRaindiDum..." is by him(???)

coolkarni

Post by coolkarni »

If anyone has access to TMT's other compositions I would like to hear from them. Thanks.

Meenakshithaye-Purvikalyani
http://quickdump.com/files/223516013.html

L ji
here is one I could locate
and one more
http://quickdump.com/files/612853855.html
08-Maname-Varamu.mp3

Vocalist

Post by Vocalist »

Thanks Lakshman.

Sangeethapriya used to have the Purvikalyani piece.

Lakshman

Post by Lakshman »

nenjinil niraindiDum is by N.S.Chidambaram.
Thanks Coolkarni for the clip.

Lakshman

Post by Lakshman »

kmrasika:
A list of TMT's compositions is here:
http://www.carnaticcorner.com/articles/ ... itions.htm

Lakshman

Post by Lakshman »

mInAkSi tAyE. rAgA: pUrvikalyANi. cApu tALA. Composer: T.M.Thiagarajan.

P: mInAkshi tAyE enakkaruLvAyE shrI
A: dInarakSakiyE vINA gAnapriyE
pA ma gA ri gA sa ri gA dha sa ri gA ma pa ga ma ri ga sa ri ga ma pa ma dhA
ri gA sa ri gA dha sa ri gA ma pa ga ma ri ga sa ri ga ma pa dha pa dhA
sa ri sa rI dha ga ri sa rI dha sA ma dhA dha sA ma dhA ga mA dha sA ga ri ma pa dha pa dhA sa ri sa rI dha sa ri sa rI dha sA ma dhA dha sA ma dhA ga mA dha sA ga rI
C: Anudinam anbarkku aruL sheyyum tAyE
en kuraigalai enrum poruttarul nIyE
(repeat ciTTasvara)

arasi

Post by arasi »

Laksmanji,
A.P: could it be 'dInarkku sakiyE?

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

dInarakshakiyE seems to flow better.
Ravi

arasi

Post by arasi »

That's even better...
Last edited by arasi on 27 Aug 2006, 22:01, edited 1 time in total.

mishram

Post by mishram »

Meenakshi Thaaye and Maal marugan Murugan are indeed TMT Sir's compositions. I am a student of the maestro. His other wonderful compositions include Thillai Nataraajane in Kaanada, Thiruvadigalai Thozhudhidum in kaambodhi. Recently, a book of his compositions have been published by Smt. Laksmi Poduval.

TMT Sir was also know for his wonderful chittaiswarams for several popular krithis.

Lakshman

Post by Lakshman »

Recently, a book of his compositions have been published by Smt. Laksmi Poduval.
Would you know the title of this book?

Vocalist

Post by Vocalist »

Beautiful compositions! (no, that's not the title)

mishram

Post by mishram »

Lakshman: The title of the Book is "Isai MuththukkaL".

Lakshman

Post by Lakshman »

Thanks for the information.

jayaram

Post by jayaram »

TMT - TK Murthy - Krishna Gana Sabha

annapoorne

Post by annapoorne »

Is Sarisamana deivamuledani in Vitapi Sri TMT's composition?

meena

Post by meena »

annapoorne

it is comp. of Spender R Venugopal.

annapoorne

Post by annapoorne »

Thanks Meena.
I vaguely remember Sri TMT's rendering of this song.

NILAKANTAN SRIDHAR

Post by NILAKANTAN SRIDHAR »

Hello all,

I am new entrant to this site. I came to know about this recently. There is lot of information here. I will be happy to be a part of this.
Having learnt from TMT Sir for about eight years , I admire his perfection in notating the songs. please also note that he is a master teacher and he has composed the marvellous / breathtaking chittaiswarams for some of the Syama shastris , Guru Surajanandas compositions which are a must listen ones.

I have a doubt .. Is there a mention of One of the greatest altime ( not so famous) Sri Susarla Sivaram in this discussion?

mohan

Post by mohan »

Lakshman wrote:There is legitimate confusion here since there are two varNAs, both in hindOLa, and having the same staring words mAl marugan murugan. One is by TMT and the other by TSI
MLV has sung TMT's Hindolam varnam at http://www.sangeethapriya.org//Downloads/mlv/mlv.html

coolkarni

Post by coolkarni »

Is there a mention of One of the greatest altime ( not so famous) Sri Susarla Sivaram in this discussion?
I dont remember having discussed .
This is the place for you to make him Famous !!
:)

Ofcourse many of us know about the website where his renderings are uploaded, but nothing more.
So please go ahead.We are all Ears !!
Last edited by coolkarni on 27 Jun 2007, 19:14, edited 1 time in total.

shwesand

Post by shwesand »

This from The Hindu of today, 28Jun07. May his soul rest in peace.

Carnatic musician TMT dies at 84

Staff Reporter

CHENNAI: Veteran Carnatic musician Sangeeta Kalanidhi T.M. Thyagarajan died here late Wednesday after a brief illness. He was 84.

Born in Thanjavur in May, 1923, Mr. Thyagarajan, fondly known as TMT, hailed from a family of musicians and dancers. After initial training under his father mridangam vidwan Mahalingam Pillai, he came under the tutelage of legendary vocalist Semmangudi Srinivasa Iyer. Mr. Thyagarajan gave his first concert when he was barely eight years old.

An able administrator, Mr. Thyagarajan served the Government Music Colleges in Chennai and Madurai for several years. A multifaceted musician, he tuned and popularised lesser known composers’ songs.

A brilliant composer himself he enjoyed notating krithis of the music trinity. His hand-written notations were as good as printed matter. His sangathis were special and steeped in classicism.

He was also a much sought-after guru of the Semmangudi bani (style). During his 80th birthday in 2003, artistes, including his guru Semmangudi, felicitated the senior musician. TMT’s disciple and senior vocalist O.S.Thiagarajan said, “TMT’s death is a big loss to the music world and a personal loss to me. He was a remarkable artiste. Everytime I perform, I cannot but think of him and his powerful renditions."

Perfectionist

“He was a perfectionist. He expected the same perfection from his disciples. He was more than a guru. His affection and concern for students were immense,â€

rbharath

Post by rbharath »

sad news. may his soul rest in peace

coolkarni

Post by coolkarni »

http://www.sendspace.com/file/km79cp

strains from a RTP of his where he sings (with PSN)
Sree Raghavendram Bhajeham...Kripakaram Dayakaram .....Sree Raghavendram Bhajeham

May his Soul Rest in peace.Under the benevolent gaze of Lord Raghavendra.
Last edited by coolkarni on 28 Jun 2007, 10:09, edited 1 time in total.

vijay

Post by vijay »

My condolences to his family and friends.

bhaktha

Post by bhaktha »

My heart-felt condolences...May his soul rest in peace...
-bhaktha

prashant

Post by prashant »

Condolences to the family of the great vidwan. Another loss for Carnatic Music :-(

drshrikaanth

Post by drshrikaanth »

Another vidwAn gone- May his soul rest in peace.

kaumaaram

Post by kaumaaram »

We have lost yet another priceless pearl. May his soul rest in peace.

Lakshman

Post by Lakshman »

A great loss to Karnatak music.