Need to find a Mridangam Teacher near Mandaveli/Mylapore/Ada

To teach and learn Indian classical music
vganesh

Post by vganesh »

Sirs,

I have shifted from Mumbai to Chennai. Would like to know any Mridangam Vidwans who is kind enough entertain me as a student. I am 43 years old and was learning at Navi Mumbai under Shri.M.S.Parameswaran disciple of Shri.Guruvayoor Dorai.

Also would like to know whether Mridangam is allowed as a hand baggage in Airlines.

Regards
V.Ganesh

sunayanaa

Post by sunayanaa »

Will Raja Annamalaipuram suit you ?? If so, you can approach mrudangam exponent Mannargudi Easwaran

visit http://www.mannargudiaeaswaran.com/contact.php

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

I do not think mridangam can be carried as cabin baggage.

You can check the sizes that are allowed on the website of the airline you are flying with, but I do not think mridangam will pass, or that it will fit easily in the locker. There is also the "security" aspect that it is a big, hollow thing that cannot be looked inside. Whilst this stuff is partly a ridiculous charade, whenever I have my bag searched at an airport I tell myself not to mind, as the procedure of checking everyone's bags might be saving my life!

Mridangam is fine as cabin baggage. put something soft against the heads, then a metal plate or circle of wood at each end. Apart from the heads it is a tough instrument!

rbharath

Post by rbharath »

given that you are disciple of Sri Dorai's disciple, you might as well contact Sri Dorai, who lives in mylapore.

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

Mandaveli/Mylapore/Adayar --- there could hardly be a better place to seek a teacher of any carnatic music :D

Sri Dorai is one of the most approachable and friendly musicians; if he is not taking students, I am sure he would make the correct recommendation.

mridangamkid

Post by mridangamkid »

Dorai sir would be my recommendation, I'm sure either he or his gurukulavasam disciple Babu sir would be happy to train you.

vganesh

Post by vganesh »

Thanks a lot Sirs.

Thanks Nick on the specific input about carrying Mridangam. I do not want to get caught at the airport. The last thing I would be wanting the Mrindangam to go as check-in along with other luggages.
The site on Mr.Easwaran is very inspiring. Always it is the young age initiation takes you to heights...Hmm. I may be able to only enjoy the "thani" without getting up in the middle of the concert =) Also do you have the contact info for Dorai Sir/His disciple. ( Am I asking too much)

srichitra

Post by srichitra »

Shri Guruvayur Dorai sir's address

New #13/Old #5
Saradapuram, 1st Street
Mylapore
Chennai-600004
Phone: 044-24642233
I got this from the internet. You can verify the address using musicians diary and then contact him.

When I was travelling to the US, I saw a lady carrying mridangam(hand luggage) for her son. am not sure about the rules. You can clarify this with Dorai sir or any mridangam vidwan who had travelled abroad.

sankirnam

Post by sankirnam »

Generally mrudangams are too big to be taken as carry-on luggage. They have to be checked in. If you pack them properly, nothing will happen. The only things you will have to worry about are the adverse temperatures rather than how it is handled.

Sam Swaminathan

Post by Sam Swaminathan »

Sankirnam's point on adverse temp is very valid. My anna, when ever he travels overseas ( incl NZ), first thing he does is to unpack the mridangam and leave it open in a room so that the instrument could adjust itself to the room temperature. He will adjust the sruthi ( which would have changed by that time ) to the required, only after a couple of hours. In spite of this, in the cold climate of NZ, he still has to work a lot on them.

mridangamkid

Post by mridangamkid »

I do believe that Dorai sir will be on tour in Malaysia some time soon, so his disciple's name is "Babu", you may want to ask for him

srikant1987

Post by srikant1987 »

Actually Easwaran sir was a very good suggestion -- as he says he's also himself been under Dorai sir's tuleage on his website. :)
Last edited by srikant1987 on 30 Jan 2009, 07:58, edited 1 time in total.

sankirnam

Post by sankirnam »

Sam, thats absolutely correct, anytime you travel abroad with the mrudangam it will change sruthi b/c of the temperature. Even here in LA the sruthi varies as the winter months come and the temperature gets colder.

grsastrigal

Post by grsastrigal »

My 2 cents
There are 2 places= one run by Papanasam Ashok Ramani at Luz (Sivan Arts Academy) and another one by Subha Ganesan (Hamsanadham). They conduct classes for senior students too, vocal, violin and Mridangam. They will refer the list of mridangists too. If you are not successful with Sri.Guruvayur Durai, you can try the above.

You please contact me in my personal mail, I shall be able to help you.
Last edited by grsastrigal on 30 Jan 2009, 09:43, edited 1 time in total.

vganesh

Post by vganesh »

Thanks for address. Thanks for tips on carrying the mridangam. GRsastrigal Sir, I will get back to you after approaching the above places. Thank you all.