Carnatic Music Theory - Year II (AP govt music exams)

To teach and learn Indian classical music
raguanu

Carnatic Music Theory - Year II (AP govt music exams)

Post by raguanu »

Hello All,

I've prepared the text for Carnatic Music theory paper, applicable to upcoming Music exams conducted by Govt Music colleges in AP. This will be for Year II of certificate courses.

PDF can be downloaded from here - http://beautifulnote.com/blog/2010/04/c ... -download/

Do let me know if there are any mistakes.

Cheers,
Ananth

mohan

Re: Carnatic Music Theory - Year II (AP govt music exams)

Post by mohan »

Hi Ananth - looks to be a good document and contains useful information.

I would add that the melody of tAna varna takes phrases that are used in tAnam rendition. The emphasis is on the melodic and rhythmic combinations rather than sahitya. For a pada varna, the form emulates that of a padam and the emphasis is on the sahitya.

There is probably scope to check the spelling of some of names of kritis such as "Nannu Palimba" (nannu pAlimpa) or "Pancha Madhanga" (pancha mAtanga). Since you are using latex there is scope to use diacritical marks like macrons to assist in the spelling (see for example http://www.carnatica.net/special/shyama.pdf)

raguanu

Post by raguanu »

Thanks Mohan,

Will include your notes about Tana and Pada varnams.

Mostly I referred to Tamil books, couldn't get those spellings right. Will correct those mistakes too.

I'm pretty new to latex. Planning to add accent marks etc., even IPA phonetic guides. Will take some more time too.

shyama.pdf mentioned here is also typeset in latex. I've seen few other books (Sangita Sampradaya Pradarshini - Subbarama Dikshitar) typeset in latex too, with diacritical marks etc. Any idea where I can find the latex source for any of these books? Would be useful in improving my text.

msakella

Post by msakella »

In general, text books for music are not supplied at all and, for the first time in the history, very recently, on my initiation, the text books for both the Certificate-examination of 4 years duration and the Diploma-examination of 2 years duration for both Theory and Practicals are published and supplied by the Potti Shreeraamulu Telugu University, Hyderabad. amsharma

raguanu

Post by raguanu »

Yes sir, we are following lessons like varnams etc from your book only. It's available in Telugu, I'm yet to see the English version of it, especially the theory parts. We are also greatly benefited by your 'Easy Method' PDFs + audio recordings, Youtube videos and above all your contribution to this community.

These are the notes I've compiled from various sources for my personal use. I'm sharing these hoping that it might be useful to someone.

Thanks for your interest and guidance.

Regards,
Ananth.

sramaswamy

Post by sramaswamy »

Thanks for sharing your document Ananth. How many years is this course?

Few typos that I could locate -

a) Vasantha has Suddha Rishaba (r) missing in Avarohanam
b) Hindolam has been mentioned as Shadava ragam. It should read Audava Ragam.

raguanu

Post by raguanu »

sramaswamy, Thanks a lot for pointing out the mistakes. Corrected the mistakes and updated the pdf file.

Governement music colleges in AP offer a 4 year Certificate course, followed by a 2 years of Diploma. These notes are for the 2nd year of certificate course.