manodarma teacher

To teach and learn Indian classical music
SURYAPRABHA

manodarma teacher

Post by SURYAPRABHA »

Nephew in Ashognagar is looking for a teacher from TNS's school to learn manodarma and RTP.Any suggestions?

msakella

Re: manodarma teacher

Post by msakella »

Dear sister-member, SURYAPRABHA, Yes, learning from a teacher either from TRS’s school or from TNS’s school is preferable to learn Manodharma and RTP. amsharma

varsha

Post by varsha »

I had always thought Manodharma implied
each to his own .
To follow the manodharma of one Master mentioned here needs the guts to climb Everest without Oxygen + do bungee jumping without batting an eyelid - swim English Channel bare chested + make a trip around the globe sailing on yacht , alone +++
To follow the manodharma of the other is to be sincerely in love with art right up to the last ebb of life + be able to master every physical obstacle through a mental process + have a mind which is open to all four ,nay eight , directions and
still bear the brunt of an unkind and unjust world that prefers chocolate heroes to real ones

msakella

Post by msakella »

varsha: What you wrote is true. Manodharma could not be taught or learnt but could be attained by perseverant hard work. In fact, to the talented aspirants, getting Manodharma is not that difficult following your list of things mentioned in your post. To tell the truth, it is dead easy to an efficient teacher (but not efficient performer please) who ably initiates the aspirant to do things on his own properly taping his talents out just like an efficient doctor who ably diagnoses the patient’s decease, prescribes suitable medicine and dosage. But, unfortunately, almost all the music-teachers are used to sing what they know and ask the aspirant just to follow them instead of initiating the aspirant to do things on his/her own even in the teacher’s absence giving him/her some aids like notated compositions, pre-recorded CDs or mp3 players which are now available plenty. It has already been proved beyond any doubt that, right from the first day of learning, if the aspirant is initiated to do things on his/her own on these lines he/she can learn this performance-oriented-art along with performance-oriented-learning like the aspirant learning cooking and become able to learn entire Manodharma within a very short time on his/her own. But this is more effective in the younger age only. At the age of 11 years, one of my disciples, whom I have initiated for not more than 10 days in a year to work on his own with the help of my book, Sangita Svararaga Sudha, some pre-recorded CDs and some other aids, had worked on his own with great perseverance and became able to give a 2-hour-concert with intricate mathematical Svarakalpana and efficient Ragalapana within a span of 2 years only. amsharma

SURYAPRABHA

Post by SURYAPRABHA »

varsha wrote:I had always thought Manodharma implied
each to his own .
To follow the manodharma of one Master mentioned here needs the guts to climb Everest without Oxygen + do bungee jumping without batting an eyelid - swim English Channel bare chested + make a trip around the globe sailing on yacht , alone +++
To follow the manodharma of the other is to be sincerely in love with art right up to the last ebb of life + be able to master every physical obstacle through a mental process + have a mind which is open to all four ,nay eight , directions and
still bear the brunt of an unkind and unjust world that prefers chocolate heroes to real ones
I honestly do not understand who is who here. Can you suggest somebody from the schools that sharmaji has mentioned. My Nephew does not fall in the first category you have menitoned

msakella

Post by msakella »

Dear sister-member, SURYAPRABHA, Having observed the efficient kids produced in this novel method of teaching music only a couple of teachers here in Andhra Pradesh are successfully following these methods and getting fantastic results. As this novel method has successfully quickened the process of teaching/learning music none of the other music-teachers is following this method as it drastically curtails their financial benefits. If you are interested you can visit ‘Youtube.com - msakella’s channel’ and go through all the videos where small kids have very successfully rendered intricate rhythmical patterns of Svarakalpana. amsharma

varsha

Post by varsha »

Honestly I meant TNS as the first and meant to convey that his manodharma is not something that can be encapsulated - let alone taught .
I meant TRS - Prof TR Subramaniam as the second since amsharma referred to him . Beyond that I strongly believe that this is something that cannot be taught .Cheers.

SURYAPRABHA

Post by SURYAPRABHA »

Sincere thanks to varsha and Sharmaji. My nephew prefers to learn from a local guru in Chennai near his home but I will pass on the options and suggestions to him.