rajeshnat

Mayuram Govindaraja Pillai

Post by rajeshnat »

Writeup about the violinist. May be MKR sir can write more about this vidwan
http://www.thehindu.com/arts/music/article2496873.ece

annamalai

Re: Mayuram Govindaraja Pillai

Post by annamalai »

not seen him perform in person, just listened to his concert recordings. glad that V. Sriram wrote an article about him; great violinist who probably did not get his due credit.

some of the best concert recordings I have heard are with Madurai Mani Iyer concert - Sadanada thandavam (bahudari) and tookiya tiruvadi (sankarabaranam); GNB radio concert - Meenakshi Memudham (poorvikalyani) and palinchu kamakshi (madhyamavathi). first the violin tone is so rich and the last round of swaras of his playing is so unique.

bilahari

Post by bilahari »

I have an MMI concert labelled as having MGP on the violin (held in Nangavaram) - the violin accompaniment is of a high calibre, particularly in the memorable manavyAla. Indeed, his kalpanaswara returns are consistently remarkable for their flow.

bilahari

Post by bilahari »

Thanks for the article, Rajesh!

shripathi_g

Post by shripathi_g »

bilahari, does that concert have ninnu kori, aduvome, etc? If so, I have it labeled as Tiruvalangadu Sundaresa Iyer and PMI.

bilahari

Post by bilahari »

Sripathi, yes, that is the one. How odd.

Sam Swaminathan

Post by Sam Swaminathan »

bilahari.....where can I get hold of that recording? Can u please help?

Regards

Sam

kapali

Post by kapali »

Bilahari and Sripathy -----if the concert is uploaded , I can know if the violinist is MGP. We await the uploading eagerly.
Incidentally ,has the tamil isai recording of MMI`s memorable thiruvadi charanam in which MGP is the accompanying violinist and has played brilliantly, uploaded in this forum? If not, can this also be please uploaded ?

Balummi

Post by Balummi »

Nangavaram is situated near Trichy and great musicians were invited by the Land Lords of that place to give concerts periodically . And in 1950's the famous JS ( J . Sadagopan ) was providing the mic amplifier system for the concerts . He was very fond of MMI's music and he diligently tried to record portions of the concerts in what was known as "Wire Recordings" . Even an hour of recording required a huge roll of wire and he could never record the entire concerts at all . Subsequently these wire recordings were converted into spool tapes with considerable loss of quality . Whatever spools I could collect , I converted them into cassettes in 1980s and was subsequently digitalised ! Both Mayuram Govindaraja Pillai and Thiruvalangadu Sundaresa Iyer had played for MMI in concerts . And also Palghat Mani Iyer , Vellore Ramabadran and TK Murthy and even CS Murugaboopathy had accompanied MMI . Bits of recordings from these concerts were clubbed in these spools . Whatever bits I have under the headings "Nangavaram " or "Trichy wire recordings" I shall upload soon if rasikas are interested.
Last edited by Balummi on 05 Oct 2011, 20:05, edited 1 time in total.

bilahari

Post by bilahari »

I will upload the concert soon. I have another concert with MGP labelled as the violinist - it is called MMI's last public concert and features a sowkhyamAna RTP in kAnaDa.

Balummi

Post by Balummi »

I have tried to upload some of the Nangavaram Recordings . Please follow the link and do not expect them to be perfect or even good ! http://www.mediafire.com/?5tlyr5e5z2bnz

Balummi

Post by Balummi »

I was fortunate to attend the RTP - Kanada concert of MMI . But I learn from my friends that he had given another public concert in Asoka Hotel in January 1968 before passing away on 8th of june 1968.
Talking about Mayuram Sri Govindaraja Pillai , he was a towering personality and the sight of GNB with MGP and Palani in a concert hall was really mind blowing - says MGP's son in law and my collegue in Indian Overseas Bank since 1972 Sri TP Shanmuganathan. Palghat TS Mani Iyer , Mayuram Govindaraja Pillai and Madurai Mani Iyer were all born in 1912 and 2012 will be their centenary year.MGP was from a traditionally rich family and never accepted concert accompanyments for money .

annamalai

Post by annamalai »

Digressing from the main topic, I particularly enjoy the concerts of MMI when was accompanied by Govindaraja Pillai / Sundaresa Iyer / Rajamanickam Pillai on violin and Palani Subramania Pillai / CS Murugabhoopathy/TK Murthy on Mridangam. Somehow, these artists seem to bring the best in him, in my view. Semmangudi has also mentioned in an interview that Rajamanickam Pillai was an inspiration for him, when he accompanied.

Now the mystery of Nangavaram concerts solved; used to wonder, after a superb Enduku Peddala and some other mridangam!