Prof. S. R. Janakiraman

Carnatic Musicians
rshankar

Prof. S. R. Janakiraman

Post by rshankar »

Disclaimer:
I am posting this as a lay rasika and member of this forum, and not as a moderator.

Many of us have been very fortunate to have several tracks of Professor SRJ's music made available for educational purposes through the generosity of Ashwin, Ramji and Kji. I just wanted to let everyone know that he has explained all of these and SO MUCH more about varNams in a DVD that is commercially available.

Also, through the generosity of Ramji, we were privileged to hear the divine music that Smt. Kalpagam Swaminathan produces from her vINa, and Bharat has been fortunate to listen to her live concerts on several ocassions now and his reviews have been uniformly glowing. Well, a set of her CDs have also been released, and are available for sale.

As someone who has these DVDs and CDs, I can attest to the fact that they are, IMO, 'must possess' items. If anyone is interested in Smt. Kalpagam Swaminathan's CDs and Prof. SRJ's DVD, please contact Ramji at guruguha@yahoo.com

Ravi

drshrikaanth

Post by drshrikaanth »

Watch SRJ demonstrating dhanyAsi

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JnbFqtpNu1I

mnsriram

Post by mnsriram »

Thanks

rbharath

Post by rbharath »

I know about the Dikshitar kritis two-part CD pack played by Smt Kalpakam Swaminathan, which has been commercially released. are there any more releases?

meena

Post by meena »

bharath

pl. contact ramji- guruguha@yahoo.com he will provide u all details.

rbharath

Post by rbharath »

is it ramji or ramki, the vainika, a disciple of Kalpakam mami. i think it has to be the latter.

meena

Post by meena »

it is Sir Ramji.

meena

Post by meena »

Musicologist honoured: S.R. Janakiraman awarded `Nadha Yogi' title
CHENNAI: Veteran musician and musicologist S.R. Janakiraman was honoured with the `Nadha Yogi' title by members of the Parthasarathy Swami Sabha on Monday.

Musician P.S. Narayanaswamy said "He is a paripoorna vidwan (complete artiste). He knows over six languages."

Former Director of Doordarshan A. Natarajan hailed the musicologist's efforts to explain musical concepts through his lectures. Sabha president Nalli Kuppuswamy Chetti praised Prof. Janakiraman for imparting his knowledge to the next generation.
DELETED
Congrats Prof. SRJ and our warm wishes.
Last edited by meena on 07 May 2008, 01:18, edited 1 time in total.

vasanthakokilam

Post by vasanthakokilam »

A well deserved award indeed and deserving of much more. Congratulations to SRJ.

I enjoy his style of presentation sprinkled with humor. A lec-dem on MD krithis I listened to, he said 'I love this particular usage of Nattakurinji and I want to use it in a sangathi. I asked Muthuswam Dikshithar for permission... and Muthuswamy Dikshithar said 'Go ahead'. ' Hearing this in English and his style of saying it was very funny.

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Congratulations to Prof SRJ - his untiring efforts to popularise and promulgate this divine art make this a very well deserved award indeed!...may he blessed with many more such honors!

venkatpv

Post by venkatpv »

"let all young musicians sing surati...pleeeease!! let them sing ranjani or hindola or latangi or rishabhapriya or karnaranjani for ragam tanam pallavi... or a brindavana saranga for ragam tanam pallavi. but let them do justice to a suratti!!!"

"a nayaki must be beautiful!" ;)

while talking about hindolam: "all tom dick and harry will sing m g s g yadava kula murali... but not madurai mani... dnsndndm m d g yadava kula murali... let him sing thousand avartas... only m d g will come"

"i am not able to look into the notebook... if i keep the book in front, it will obstruct the mike... it will obstruct the sound system... you have provided a soooound sound system"

i am an unabashed fan of prof SRJ... more than his humour, he has a great sense of what is good music and what is not... i have found it very useful in honing my own tastes...
Last edited by venkatpv on 27 Dec 2006, 09:19, edited 1 time in total.

meena

Post by meena »

Deleted
Last edited by meena on 06 May 2008, 04:52, edited 1 time in total.

jayaram

Post by jayaram »

http://carnatica.net/shoppingarcade/Prd ... php?id=218
Tyagaraja's Ekaika Kriti Ragas - SR Janakiraman - Audio CD

Does anyone know which kritis are included in this CD? Thank you.

ramanathan

Post by ramanathan »

Tyagaraja's Ekaika Kriti Ragas 2 CD pack
CD 1

Varasikhi Vahana Supradeepam Adi
Vachama gochara Kaikavasi Adi
Samukhana Kokilavarali Adi
Nee chithamu Vijayavasantham Adi

CD 2
Parithapamu Manohari Rupakam
Kalalanerchina Deepakam Adi
Leelaganujooche Dundubhipriya Adi
Dayajoochuta Ganavaridhi Adi
Evarani Devamruthavarshini Adi
Manasa manasa Vardhini Rupakam

Live recording from a special thematic festival titled "Tyagaraja Nada Yoga Vaibhavam" in Jan 2005. This was originally released as a DVD, but has now been re-released as an audio CD on popular request.

Ramanathan
(Editor, Carnatica)

PS -- Ramji (son of Prof. SRJ): if you're reading this post, could you pls mail me again? I seem to have lost your last e-mail! Thanks.
Last edited by ramanathan on 12 Jun 2007, 21:48, edited 1 time in total.

jayaram

Post by jayaram »

Ramanathan - thank you for the information. A top-class kutcheri indeed!

If you need to contact Ramji pls send me an email; I can provide you his contact info.
Last edited by jayaram on 14 Jun 2007, 03:46, edited 1 time in total.

gsriram

Post by gsriram »

Prof. SRJ enters his 80th year tomorrow (12 July), if I'm right. Best wishes to him on this occasion!

Ganesh

mohan

Post by mohan »

Newspaper article on Kalpakam Swaminathan
http://www.hindu.com/fr/2007/07/27/stor ... 570300.htm

rbharath

Post by rbharath »

yup. nice article. [:)]

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

PranNms to Prof SRJ
While vicariously participating in your shatAbhiShEkam we pray to Lord to shower you with health and happiness along with dIrghAyuH.

Ashwin

Post by Ashwin »

Dear Rasikas,

July 12th was the 80th birthday of our respected Guru, Prof. Shri S.R. Janakiraman. SRJ Mama's sadAbhiShEkam was celebrated in a grand fashion in Chennai on June 28-29 with many students, family, artists, and well-wishers in attendance. A few excerpts from his bio follow:

"Shri S.R.Janakiraman, formerly the principal of Music Academy’s Teacher’s College of Music in Chennai, was born on July 12, 1928 in South India. He started learning Carnatic music in 1938, and received training under several great masters. The year 1945 was a landmark year in his career when he got the opportunity to learn from great doyens such as Tiger Varadachari, Budalur Krishnamurthy Sastri, T. K. Ramasami Ayyangar and Kalpagam Swaminathan at Kalakshetra, and Musiri Subramanya Ayyar, Tiruppambaram Swaminatha Pillai, and Mayavaram V. V. Krishna Ayyar and T. Brinda at the Central College of Music. Janakiraman’s excellence in the theoretical and practical aspects of music earned him the titles of Sangita Siromani and Sangita Vidwan.

"He was initiated into musicology by Profs. P. Sambamurthi and Balakrishna Ayya. This was further strengthened under P. K. Rajagopala Ayyar. In addition to his gurus’ immense knowledge and wisdom, Janakiraman also imbibed a style of presentation with powerful delivery, expression, and diction. His method of analyzing original treatise and evolving one’s own ideals and concepts soon placed him high in the annals of musicology in India.

"A performing musician with a strong academic background, Janakiraman has been recognized as a top-ranking artiste by the All-India Radio and Doordarshan. His lecture-demonstrations are not only instructive but also inspiring, and have drawn august audiences from all over the world. His contributions to Carnatic music and musicology over the last nearly sixty years have left a lasting impression."

SRJ Mama continues to impart his wisdom and knowledge to the music world through his famous lecture-demonstrations and concerts, and also by training numerous dedicated students. This year marked another milestone for Shri SRJ as it saw the release of his newly authored book titled "Essentials of Musicology in South Indian Music", with accompanying practical demonstrations in audio CD format. This publication, along with his many other publications, lecture-demonstrations, concerts, and audio/video recordings will no doubt serve as invaluable references for students, musicians, and music-lovers alike for years to come.

The year 2008 is also very special for us because it marks ten years since we embarked on our ongoing musical journey under his guidance. No words can adequately convey our profound sense of respect and gratitude for the immeasurable gifts he has given us - gifts of inspiration, confidence, and musical perspective, among so many others. In these ten years, we have glimpsed the immense corpus of musical knowledge that he has amassed from ancient treatises, and the countless hours he has devoted to consolidating and interpreting their ideas; we have glanced through a window to the past and tasted the music of his legendary gurus, vidwans and vidushis like tiruppAmpuram svAminAtha piLLai, Tiger varadAcAriAr, muSiri subrahmaNya aiyyar, and brindAmmA; all brought vividly to life through SRJ Mama's razor-sharp memory, masterful discourses and awe-inspiring lessons. Absorbed in reminiscence, he has told us, "I want to bring that atmosphere to you, here, today," adding, "music is not merely learning compositions and alapana, neraval, swaram...I want to develop in you a sense of musical culture."

Please join us in wishing SRJ Mama a very happy 80th Birthday with many happy returns of the day!

Ashwin and Rohin

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Ashwin,

Thanks for sharing this!

Heartfelt well wishes to Prof. SRJ, and his family! We hope for many more years of wonderful music from him.

mohan

Post by mohan »

Best wishes to Prof SR Janakiraman on his 80th birthday and Sathabishekam.

Ashwin and Rohin you are both fortunate to have the guidance of one of Indian musicology's titans.

arasi

Post by arasi »

PranAms to SRJ and his wife on this very special occasion. May his work carry on for many more years to come...
Last edited by arasi on 17 Jul 2008, 06:43, edited 1 time in total.

mahesh_narayan

Post by mahesh_narayan »

Salutations and best wishes to SRJ Sir on his 80th birthday. He is easily one of the best deep-sea divers of carnatic music, plunging deep into unexplored waters and unearthing, and also showcasing rare gems that wouldn't otherwise reach the rasika or even the artiste.

ragam-talam

Post by ragam-talam »

SRJ is one musician who combines child-like wonder and excitement with deep erudition.
Truly a living legend.
My pranams to you, sir.

Lakshman

Post by Lakshman »

My best wishes and regards to sri. SRJ on his 80th. May he continue to spread the knowledge of Karnatak music for many years to come.

srkris
Site Admin

Post by srkris »

Belated 80th birthday wishes and greetings/namaskarams on satabhishekam.

ragam-talam

Post by ragam-talam »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c-qXbfvPe8Q
SRJ's rendition of Pallavi Doraiswami Iyer's Arabhi varnam.

There's mention of SRJ's "Varnam through the ages" video recorded by Saraswathi Vaggeyakara Trust.
Does anyone know how we can obtain a copy of this video?
Last edited by ragam-talam on 20 Mar 2009, 03:30, edited 1 time in total.

ragam-talam

Post by ragam-talam »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eBJWJhOw3Wo
An exquisite Bhairavi by the maestro.

Btw, wonder if it's possible to have separate threads for SRJ and Kalpagam.

srikant1987

Post by srikant1987 »

Of course it is!

There's a separate thread for Vidushi Kalpagam which was recently opened again by rajeshnat. You can of course open another one for Shri SRJ if you want. :)

vasanthakokilam

Re: Prof. S. R. Janakiraman

A question on niravdhi sukhada sung by Sri. SRJ in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OsGQzL3d2AM

In the Anupallavi, he sings Saradhi bandhana differently from others. Not the 'Saradhi' alone for the entire avarthanam he sings a few times but after that. I usually have difficulty with laya alignment in playing the usual way but this one sounds a bit simpler laya wise but equally pleasing. I am wondering if there are others also who sing that way or this is an SRJ special. Thanks.

keerthi

Post by keerthi »

This is a very special pADaM. I suspect the good Professor must have learnt it from TiruppAmburam SwAminAtha Pillai. the pallavi onwards the i in niravadhi to the tune gr,g,, is a unique variation.

The anupallavi in this version starts at the samam instead of after 2 akSara-s. There are again, some singular sancAra-s in this rendition that make it special.see below.

sharadhii-i-i = s-s-s-rsrs
nata-san-kran- -dana r-r-rr-grgr

i have taken the audio of this krti, removed the cittaswaram and saved it at a speed 10% slower than the original. it has an unusual poised effect,while retaining the energy inherent to the rAga. Most versions of this kRti make it to be an 'instruments special' while this version gives it a new sheen as it should have as a vocal-worthy piece.

vasanthakokilam

Thanks Keerthi. Much appreciated. Yes, there are indeed some special sancharas. I am going to try to adopt this pADaM. I will have to see how it works out for me.

BTW, the anupallavi seems to start after 2 akSaras. Can you check that again please?

uday_shankar

Post by uday_shankar »

vasanthakokilam wrote:BTW, the anupallavi seems to start after 2 akSaras. Can you check that again please?
Indeed it does start after 2 aksharas the usual way. However, as usual, the audio and video are out of sync, in this case with the audio lagging the video by about 3 aksharas in most places. So this niravathi sukhatha has an atheetha eduppu :). Kidding aside, I find it easier to listen to the audio alone, closing my eyes...synchronization seems to be a problem with many Indian videos.

keerthi

Post by keerthi »

My mistake, the anupallavi eDuppu is indeed after 2 akSara-s. The difference is as follows -

Popular, prevalent versions - |; sha|ra- dhi- |ba-n- |dha- na ||

SRJ version - |; sha| ra- dhi-|i- ban-|dha- na||

I hope it is intelligible.

uday_shankar

Post by uday_shankar »

Keerti, I see what you mean. Listening to this Niravati Sukhatha again (and again!), it is really an awesome rendition of the song...prof SRJ imbues it with so much of that characteristic energy. And let's not forget the superb accompanists...I cannot get enough of TKM and Subash Chandran. And VVS is superb too. Since I don't know the song, this is the perfect version to learn from (sometime !). Pranams to prof SRJ.

vasanthakokilam

Thanks Keerthi.