Mysore Doraiswamy Iyengar

Carnatic Musicians
rbharath

Post by rbharath »

I was expecting discussion about him already happening here. quite surprised that he isnt being discussd here.

i have only heard in some mp3 and radio recordings.

any stories? recordings?

coolkarni

Post by coolkarni »

Stories :
Wish I had asked him for some.On so many occasions we travelled by the same Bangalore Mail (though not the same coach) - so Simple and unassuming.
I think he has written a book in Kannada , too.
Recordings.Yes there are quite a few-some of them , lovely duets with Lalgudi.Will put up something later.

avichinnu

Post by avichinnu »

Kulkarniji is right. I used to see him travelling in Bangalore in BMTC bus. He was a down to earth man. Many a times he was accompained by Palghat Raghu for Ramanavami concerts and it was a great combination, and produced some unforgettable memories.
His autobiography was published as a serial in one of the leading kannada magazines.

coolkarni

Post by coolkarni »

Here is one of the finest tracks, one can hope for.
an amazing recital.

http://file.uploadr.com/c846

everytime I hear this , I cannot believe my ears.Especially the middle one third.
More later !!

humdinger

Post by humdinger »

his son Sri D.Balakrishna was playing today on FM here. he played an amazing "neerajakshi kaamaakshi...". i never heard anyone playing it so beautifully on Veena!

Suji Ram

Post by Suji Ram »

Thanks coolkarni for the track.

The first CM concert I ever attended was Mysore Doraiswamy Iyengar in Chowdaiah hall in Blore. It was a big event with other dance programs.
At the entrance we were greeted by actor Girish Karnad....

I will listen to it reminiscing...

coolkarni

Post by coolkarni »

This track.
I am not sure 100 % it is Doreswamy Iyengar.
True, these were unindexed Concerts under a group labelled as such , but doubts arise when one listens to a voice singing along with the Veena, towards the end.
Is there any info that Dor.Iyengar used to play with a voice accompaniment ?
Hope some expert clarifies.I cannot make it out based on the style of playing, either.
Will put up some authentic clips, later though.

drshrikaanth

Post by drshrikaanth »

Coolkarni
The voice is a female voice. Both Neelamma Kadambi and Chokkamma used to sing alongside their playing. Its very likely one of them.

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

DRS,
Can you tell us more about these vaiNIkAs?

meena

Post by meena »

Can you tell us more about these vaiNIkAs?
:|

http://rasikas.org/forums/viewtopic.php?id=750
http://rasikas.org/forums/viewtopic.php?pid=25780

Neelamma Kadambi: Fond of singing of devaranamas. Was 90 when she died on 14 December 1998 in Mysore.

coolkarni

Post by coolkarni »

DRS

Thanks

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Meena: I must have misspelt the names when I searched..also, the links only mention Chokkamma - are there any details about her life?

coolkarni

Post by coolkarni »

Suji
You were lucky.
One of the early concerts in the New Sabha in my Hometwon(Harihareswara Gana Sabha) was by Doreswamy Iyengar.
With no auditorium fixed yet, this concert was held in Harihareswara temple.
And
Can you believe ! I walked out after half an hour .
I was still a kid and the most appealing krithi to me then was a Cuckoo song and this simple artist (With no flashy diamond studded rings on his fingers and a style that did not border on the style of strumming a Guitar) made me jump rows of listeners and run out.
Earning me a painful pat on my head later from my Dad.
We made up later though, as I started evolving.
AIR -Bangalore-Recitals like these used to be great fun for us.

Announcements used to run like ..
Innu Mundey Keli , Subbaraya Sastri avara krithi .....
and we used to break our heads about the identity of the song.

This track in begada still carries that delightful moment, as though embedded in the name of the track.
I have never had the heart to rename them for fear of losing those memories..

No matter how much ones acquires and listens to in later part of our lives, those early days when the bug has just caught us - those experiences are unbelievable.
Wonder If I am getting too old !!

Anyway here are two delightful tracks

http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?a ... 013387FA0C

http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?a ... WTk1VEE9PQ

Suji Ram

Post by Suji Ram »

Coolkarni,
amazing recording. beautiful sound like crystal...
oh thanks...
You know what.. one fine day I left home to learn guitar in our neighbourhood. Knocked on a wrong door and found a frail lady who said she plays violin and can teach if i can come. That day changed me. Never wondered who the guitar master was.
and now Im enjoying the best you have uploaded.

coolkarni

Post by coolkarni »

amazing recording. beautiful sound like crystal

Yes
Dad used to reserve the best of our resources for this artist and MS.(the few Sony-TDK blank tapes which my friends and relatives from abroad would gift us)
All the rest we could only afford T series blank tapes

Sam Swaminathan

Post by Sam Swaminathan »

Coolji..........amazing sound...divine knowledge.......million thanks..........regards........Sam

coolkarni

Post by coolkarni »

http://file.uploadr.com/c875

Manava Janma Doddadu.

knandago2001

Post by knandago2001 »

coolkarni sir nimma bhagya doddadu

namaskara,

nandagopal

meena

Post by meena »

the links only mention Chokkamma - are there any details about her life?
shankar
not much is available:
DELETED
Last edited by meena on 07 May 2008, 10:43, edited 1 time in total.

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

That is indeed scant. But thanks, Meena!

ramakriya

Post by ramakriya »

knandago2001 wrote:coolkarni sir nimma bhagya doddadu

namaskara,

nandagopal
coolkarni avare,

nimma bhAgya doDDadO ? namma bhAgya doDDadO ?

The bEgade tack is simply devine. Thanks for posting it.

-Ramakriya

rbharath

Post by rbharath »

nice clips. thanks a lot to all of u.

deepak.sarangi

Post by deepak.sarangi »

dear all...thanx for the nice concert.....Im currently pursuing my veena lessons under D. Balakrishna, the son of an illustrious father Doreswamy iyengar.
It would be kind of you if you could post the links on yousendit.com again.... I guess they have expired...

siva

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

gsriram

Post by gsriram »

Hi,

Here's a (slightly tongue-in-cheek) interview of RK Narayan, where he speaks of Mysore Doreswamy Iyengar, amongst other subjects:

http://www.hinduonnet.com/fline/fl1423/14231000.htm

Regards,
Ganesh

arasi

Post by arasi »

gsriram,
What a delightful interview of the old man! His comments give us an idea about Doreswamy Iyengar's nature and about the author's musical side. As mentioned by you, some of the comments should not be taken seriously...:)
Last edited by arasi on 03 Jul 2007, 07:04, edited 1 time in total.

kaumaaram

Post by kaumaaram »

I am sure that some of our members must be having the Jugalbandi that DI and AAK (Sarod Maestro) had rendered. Can this be uploaded for our benefit?

vinsim

Post by vinsim »

I wish I could share some tracks here, but they are commercial. Some favourites of mine played in the pleasing Mysore-style of veena playing by the maestro..
1. Vachama Gocharane - kaikavasi (album Thyagaraja masterpieces)
2. Theratheeyagarada - Gowlipantu (a 2 CD concert album)
3. Eti janma - varali (amazing alapana +kalpana swaras...set me off on a varali hunt)
4. Venkatasaila vihara - Hamir kalyani (others have written about his famous swaras in this raga)
5. A mayamalavagowla kriti by Mysore Vasudevachar (1980 SIFA Bay area concert)...a very energetic piece
6. Thillanas of Seshanna...my favourite would be the one in Darbari kanada...an absolutely bewitching song, especially when listened to at night before sleeping.

If there are other fans of Doreswamy iyengar, please share your musical experiences and possibly non-commercial concert recordings. I think I have bought all of his commercial releases in the market, unless there were some old ones that got lost in time.

coolkarni

Post by coolkarni »

Last edited by coolkarni on 24 Nov 2009, 09:46, edited 1 time in total.

matterwaves

Post by matterwaves »

Cool Sir,
The Begade is simply fabulous. Thanks for the post.

vinsim

Post by vinsim »

"welcome vinsim
At age 9, I walked out of a concert of his at the Harihareswara Temple , because he was not hitting the strings like a POP guitarist or playing the cuckoo song smile
And have lived a regretful life , ever since."

Mr Coolkarni, pleasure to meet you. You must be like the MVP of this website :) Shri Doreswamy was a family friend when we lived in Malleswaram, Bangalore. Many times he would come home (in 80's) to give impromptu performances. I was just a kid back then, with no appreciation for classical music. My aunts (ours was a joint family) used to learn Veena from a fellow Venkatgiriyappa student (and hence were closely associated with VDI). So somewhere in my mind seeds were planted in my childhood, which took a long long time to blossom - but blossom they did. The CD which did it for me was VDI's Thyagaraja's masterpieces, just over 2 years back. Ever since, my musical taste has completely converted from the likes of tom petty/eagles to carnatic, carnatic and more carnatic (with a dash of hindustani thrown in every now and then)

Thanks a lot for your uploads....I will download them after I exhaust your kannada collection in the other thread!!

coolkarni

Post by coolkarni »

Last edited by coolkarni on 23 Nov 2009, 21:06, edited 1 time in total.

cpblog

Re: Mysore Doraiswamy Iyengar

Post by cpblog »

Dear Rasikas, Inviting you all to a posting of a Veena performance by Vidwan Doreswamy Iyengar with Vidwans M. Chandrasekharan, Erode Gururajan, Manjunath. This is a 'Parvathi", Mysore performance of 1978...with the usual pictures and narratives. http://chowdaiahandparvati.blogspot.com/

vinsim

Post by vinsim »

cpblog,

I have been enjoying the music on your blog for quite sometime. I thank you for posting a concert of Vidwan Doreswamy Iyengar.

Please keep up the good work. If you have more of his concerts (or his son, Vidwan D. Balkrishna), please post them some time in future.

Thanks again! I will definitely make it a point to visit 'Parvati' the next time I visit Mysore.

-vinsim

cpblog

Post by cpblog »

"....Thanks again! I will definitely make it a point to visit 'Parvati' the next time I visit Mysore."

Dear Vinsim,

Thank you for your very kind words.

'Parvathi' was! It is only an 'is' through memories of hundreds of its eminent patrons and well wishers in the Carnatic firmament, who performed, practised, composed, ate, prayed and sometimes joked with each other in it's theatre till the wee hours of the morning.

At the risk of repeating ourselves we wish to encapsulate what a contributor to the magazine 'Shruti' wrote back in 1987 :

“K. Puttu Rao, 1894-1959, was a leading advocate of Mysore. His love of music and regard for artists were proverbial. “Parvathi” the spacious bungalow where he lived, was second only to the Mysore Palace in its benevolence to art and artists. The bungalow was always overflowing with music. It was but natural that in such a household the violin maestro Mysore T. Chowdiah should have carved a warm niche for himself”.

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

Sreeni Rajarao

Post by Sreeni Rajarao »

Chanced upon this recently uploaded clip on YouTube!

A rare one, indeed!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8c2gXDkQ ... re=related

vinsim

Post by vinsim »

It would be lovely to see the full jugalbandhi concert between Doreswamy Iyengar and Amjad Ali Khan. I searched online and could not find even a commercial recording. Does anyone know more?

puru00047

Post by puru00047 »

i love his Chintaya Makanda and chakkani raja(with T Chowdiah on violin). also his Nadopasana in Begade is fantastic.

CRama

Post by CRama »

-The jugalbandi is not a commercial recording. I have got that. When I get time, I will locate that and upload.

balakk

Post by balakk »

I must say his son D.Balakrishna is equally prolific.
Please listen to this concert where he plays with Vamsidhar, his cousin:
http://sangeethamshare.org/sv/073_2009_ ... uswaralaya
It was also reviewed in the forum:
http://rasikas.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=11297
The review says "It was a concert of simple, chaste music" - agree completely.
I simply loved the Durbar and Begada.
Veena & Flute bring out some bhavam-laced artistry which seems nearly impossible with other instruments..

varsha

Post by varsha »

http://www.mediafire.com/?7ws4gq68k1051u3
MDI in quite an unusually combative mood in a duet with Lalgudi Jayaraman.
a great
bhuvini dAsuDanE - SrIranjani - tyAgarAja .
recording is a bit poor for the Veenas volume is lower than the violin , but still makes for exciting listening.