prati madhyama ragas

Rāga related discussions
Vidya Shankara Kukke

prati madhyama ragas

Post by Vidya Shankara Kukke »

Hi,

Could you help in listing the top 10-15 prati madhyama ragas, among which performers generally choose from. Will just start by listing a few..
And are there any reasons for choosing from these (in general).
1. kalyani
2. purvikalyani
3. shanmukhapriya

Thanks,
Vidya Shankara

Mechakalyani

Re: prati madhyama ragas

Post by Mechakalyani »

Here is the usual selection

Pantuvarali/ Kalyani / Purvikalyani
Shanmughapriya
Amrutavarshini
Varali
Lathangi
Ranjani
Vachaspati
Simhendra Madhyamam
Hamsanandi
Hamsanadham
Dharmavati
Nasikabhushani

I guess there are more compositions in these ragas and hence they have become popular.

kittappa

Post by kittappa »

It is most unfortunate that only the above ragas are being performed. What about Saranga, Hamir Kalyani, Yamuna Kalyani in which Thagaraja and Dikshitar have composed major songs? How many musicians sing these ragas and the compositions in them? What about some of the delectable vivAdi pratimadhyama ragas like vishwambari (vamshavati in Venkatmaki's scheme in which Dikshitar has composed one major kriti 'bhaktavatsalam' and another small kriti 'vamshavati shiva yuvati'), and other such ragas? Many of these melodies have been changed also because some people did not like vivAdi swaras. Example: baNTurIti koluviyyavayya,which is a janya of nItimati and actually has the vivAdi daivatam. But nowadays, people eschew the D3 and sing the song. Unfortunate. One cannot say how many songs have thus suffered. The more knowledgeable ones can elaborate on this subject.

saarangam

Post by saarangam »

mOhanakalyANi, madhuvanti, SubhapantuvarALi, sarasvati, hEmavati can also be added.

hanquill

Post by hanquill »

The Mela ragas staritng from 37th to 72-Saalagam to rasikapriya are pradimadhyama ragas-I made out kritis in all these ragas-Sivadasan Kritis- I can sing all these and these can be heard in You tube
" 72 Mela kartha rare ragas"-Hanquill-Pammalhari.