SAN FRANCISCO WORLD PERCUSSION FESTIVAL

Miscellaneous topics on Carnatic music
RKrishnamurthy

SAN FRANCISCO WORLD PERCUSSION FESTIVAL

Post by RKrishnamurthy »

Enjoy this telecast on Bay Area NBC channel. This will feature in the SF World Percussion Festival. If you are in the Bay Area try to make it.

http://www.nbcbayarea.com/video/#!/on-a ... /325742771

arasi

Re: SAN FRANCISCO WORLD PERCUSSION FESTIVAL

Post by arasi »

Thanks, Professor Krishnamurthy for that clip. Now you are talking--I mean with Rohan's playing. It's going to be a special evening for those who can make it--the Japanese drums are quite a match.

Hope rasikAs in the area attend and write about it too...

harimau

Post by harimau »

Yo Rohan's dad,

You normally harp on whether Carnatic musicians in Chennai make a comfortable living.

Look at http://www.rasikas.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26012

Anantha Krishnan, a NRI mridangist, has pretty much made Chennai his home and is now going to tour with Bombay Jayasri, one of the top vocalists.

SITTING IN THE US, PURSUING THE SEEMINGLY GOOD LIFE, IS NOT THE WAY TO GET AHEAD IN CARNATIC MUSIC!

One needs to be in Chennai, competing against a hundred mridangists, honing one's skills and playing for musicians of all grades.

Sitting in the US, wasting one's time looking for fusion opportunities with international musicians, and bemoaning that one doesn't get to play for Sandeep Narayanan or Saketharaman, will get one tagged as an ethnomusicologist not fit for concert slots.

Tell Rohan to move his butt to Chennai if he wants to be a serious Carnatic mridangist.

And please don't waste network bandwidth by posting here about the World Percussion Festival and similar uninteresting crap.

We don't give a hoot.

That is the truth.

Not all of us are like Arasi making wishy-washy statements.

Maybe in another thirty years, I shall be like the oldsters posting on ths forum wishing every function a grand success and offering my blessings. All of which are nothing but a waste of electricity and network bandwidth.

I hope I never get to that stage.

ganesh_mourthy

Post by ganesh_mourthy »

Thread over ;)

harimau

Post by harimau »

ganesh_mourthy wrote:Thread over ;)
The thread should have been over right after the original post.

But then we have the predictably usual "it is indeed great. Hope somebody attends and writes a review" post.

Hello, here is a bunch of folks who won't/can't sit through a 10-minute tani avartanam and someone expects that somebody would be stupid enough to pay for admission and sit through hours of drumming? Not going to happen! No way!

Anyway, wishing the World Percussion Festival grand success and my blessings to Rohan. :evil:

vasanthakokilam

Post by vasanthakokilam »

>The thread should have been over right after the original post.

Not so. That is quite a mean thing to say. You seem to mistakenly think intolerance is a virtue. Let us be very clear on that here. No, it is not.

Drum Solos and ensembles are indeed quite popular. And there is a summer long competition of marching bands which is all about drumming. Many thousands turn up to watch those things.

But beyond all that, what is your problem? Why are you up and arms about and venting any CM related frustrations you may have in this thread?

harimau

Post by harimau »

vasanthakokilam wrote: .........what is your problem? Why are you up and arms about and venting any CM related frustrations you may have in this thread?
I merely beat up on Rohan ka Baap.

It is like that game where you beat up on the head whatever pops up (I can't recall its name) and push it back into the ground.

On top of that, I did provide a compare-and-contrast kind of thing to Rohan ka Baap. One would think that is reasonably useful information.

After all, he as been p*ssing and moaning about non-recognition of Rohan's talents and even suggesting to Sandeep Narayanan that he should consider using US-grown talent in his American tours.

I am pointing out that here is this New Jersey-raised Anantha Krishnan, who like Rohan has won prizes in mridangam playing at the Cleveland Thyagaraja Aradhana, who has chosen to settle down in Chennai and will be providing mridangam accompaniment to Bombay Jayasri, who is without doubt one of the most sought-after vocalists, on her US tour.

Thus my suggestion that Rohan could advance his career in Carnatic music only by moving to Chennai is a perfectly valid conclusion based on facts.

As to people gathering to watch marching bands and drummers galore by the millions, that is not your usual CM aficionado who is more likely to walk out when the tani avartanam starts to attend to input/output functions.

arasi

Post by arasi »

Harimau,
Because it's about mridangam, I'll say, this time, 'aDakki vAsikkirIr' (you have come down several notches) :)

You seem to realize for a moment (??) that 'boring, predictable' well wishers like me who dare wear cheerleader badges aren't that bad as those who will (and the expression is used here much)--throw the baby out with the bath water.

Rohan is not papa professor, and in this thread, the father hasn't spouted his usual stuff either, and I appreciate that.

thanjavooran

Post by thanjavooran »

I agree . Really a new stuff. Adakki Visurugiraar. Thanx for the link.
Thanjavooran
22 09 2015

ramamantra

Post by ramamantra »

Oh, the ethnio-musicologist is back drumming up promotions.

harimau

Post by harimau »

vasanthakokilam wrote:>The thread should have been over right after the original post.

Not so. That is quite a mean thing to say. You seem to mistakenly think intolerance is a virtue. Let us be very clear on that here. No, it is not.

Drum Solos and ensembles are indeed quite popular. And there is a summer long competition of marching bands which is all about drumming. Many thousands turn up to watch those things.

But beyond all that, what is your problem? Why are you up and arms about and venting any CM related frustrations you may have in this thread?
Some eight days after the San Francisco World Percussion Festival, we don't have a single review of it here on Rasikas.org.

Which leads me to conclude that the number of persons with an interest in Carnatic music who attended ths festival is:

Zero,
Zilch,
Zip,
Nada,
Null,

which is precisely what I had predicted.

This, despite my best wishes for a grand success for the festival!

Anyway, my blessings to vasanthakokilam.
Last edited by harimau on 27 Sep 2015, 08:34, edited 1 time in total.

harimau

Post by harimau »

arasi wrote:Harimau,
Because it's about mridangam, I'll say, this time, 'aDakki vAsikkirIr' (you have come down several notches) :)

What you mean is that, as Donald Trump would have put it, I didn't have blood coming out of my eyes or my whatever!

Thanks for that.

My blessings to Arasi.

arasi

Post by arasi »

Harimau, my 'traditionalist in music' friend,

Blessings? Traditionally, does a young(er) person bless an elder :?:

Still, I will deem them namaskArams, thanks--and please don't take them back because, I can't bless you then :( :)

vasanthakokilam

Post by vasanthakokilam »

blessings received Harimau!! If a tiger raises one of its front legs to gesture a blessing, I better watch out, it may just be ready to pounce on me!! ;)

<vidandavadam on>
What happened to your high horse principle that audience attendance is not a measure of the quality of the performance? ;)
<vidandavadam suspended>

SrinathK

Post by SrinathK »

Statistically, I think there are quite a few articles in recent past that can best be described as "bait". This theme is getting so repetitive that next time I'm seriously considering putting up a sign -- "Warning. BAIT! Do not feed the wildlife" By which time I'm probably too late. <Sniff Sniff> BLOOD....

And when that doesn't stop it, another sign :

BEWARE. TIGERS

Legendary Man-eater of the jungles of rasikatva

ANTICIPATED. WITH ATTITUDE.

POST AT OWN RISK.

YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED

And when THAT doesn't stop it :

Kill Count : <insert no. here> + 1

Now, it's always nice to see Indian drummers collaborating with world percussionists. And I sorely miss the absence of hearing konnakkol in the great traditional CM concerts -- seriously, it's an electrifying thing. I fear now we may have to import it.

But further discussion can't be helped, wherever the professor goes, his tiger will follow him. Oh yes, enmity has a special attraction alright :twisted:, you can't find a friend so obsessed. :twisted:

You may bless me too now...

harimau

Post by harimau »

SrinathK wrote:Statistically, I think there are quite a few articles in recent past that can best be described as "bait". This theme is getting so repetitive that next time I'm seriously considering putting up a sign -- "Warning. BAIT! Do not feed the wildlife" By which time I'm probably too late. <Sniff Sniff> BLOOD....
It is Rohan ka Baap who unwittingly posts bait on this website. :lol: :lol: :lol:

harimau

Post by harimau »

arasi wrote:Harimau, my 'traditionalist in music' friend,

Blessings? Traditionally, does a young(er) person bless an elder :?:
The blessings are from all the three members of Team Harimau.

Together, their age exceeds yours. :lol:

varsha

Post by varsha »

You mean there is more than one !!!!
God Save the pretenders :D
And my sympathies to Bagesri and Rakesh Sarma

SrinathK

Post by SrinathK »

Ha! I knew there were at least 3 of you, and not all in one place I guess.

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

harimau wrote:The blessings are from all the three members of Team Harimau
Would the team be "Harimau and Sons" or perhaps "Harimau and Brothers", I wonder.....

Pratyaksham Bala

Post by Pratyaksham Bala »

harimau wrote:The blessings are from all the three members of Team Harimau.
Hari+Ma+U ?!

Hari, Harish, Hariharan, Harigopal, Harikrishnan, Harishankar, Hariprasad ...
Madhav, Madan, Mahesh, Mahendra, Manishankar, Manmohan, Manohar ...
Uday, Udit, Umashankar, Umamaheshwar, Umesh, Upendra ...

Let it be a puzzle. Let us keep wondering !

mukta

Post by mukta »

harimau :: anagram::marihau

meaning in kannada:: baby snake.

mridhangam

Post by mridhangam »

harimau - h and u being silent in Tamil word called Arima which is LION. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Mannarkoil J Balaji