H K Narasimha Murthy

Carnatic Musicians
rajeshnat

H K Narasimha Murthy

Post by rajeshnat »

Nice write up of the artist.
http://www.thehindu.com/features/friday ... 973906.ece

I just googled after hearing the recent parvathi concert where HKNM has played wonderfully. May be those who are based out of karnataka can write more about him.I am all ears .Is there any combinations where he has played say with TRS, KVN, santhanam, somu, TSK ,MLV etc . Is there any violin duets that he has given with MSG , how about he teaming with his son HN Bhaskar who is really superb. Any lucky breaks that he had with say PMI, KM and some extraordinary flautist like KS Gopalakrishnan.

rajeshnat

Re: H K Narasimha Murthy

Post by rajeshnat »

In the above url it is mentioned
TheHinduArticle wrote: Long bow, cutting bow, the rolling-uruttu that was made famous by Chembai , and the startling one-string rendition, all this would go on for three hours.
May I know what is this rolling -uruttu, can some one help me understand better if possible with clippings.?

Rsachi

Post by Rsachi »

Ladies and gentlemen, what I know :
Mr HKN Murthy hails from Chennarayapatna where his father was a (Brahmin) restauranteur. HKNM exhibited keen talent and interest in the violin and MSG bani. He was helped (by Mr Srikantiah among others) to secure training in Chennai under MSG.
I remember meeting HKNM a couple of times in sabhas during my IIT days late 60s early 70s.

HKNM has been working in AIR Mysore for many years now. He is hailed as a great teacher who has produced many many good violinists. HN Bhaskar, Mysore Srikanth, HM Smitha, her sister etc.

If you want to know about the Parur bani the best person is Narmadha. She gave a good lecdem some months back which was webcast.

I leave it to experts to explain the rolling uruttu. But I think it means fast combination patterns like GMP MPD PDN DNS... more challenging in descent.... S'NDP NDPM DPMG... MSG used to play it routinely during swaras in solo.

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

What an extraordinary writeup of HKNM.The early day strugglesn of HKNM around holenarsipura and all those hamlets around mysore . I did not know Parur sundaram iyer was a bigger taskmaster - he learning from the great MSG and MSA along with Parur Sundaram Iyer . I just could not believe when MDR was not happy with MSG getting more applause . Finally HKNM producing many great artist with his son HN Bhaskar being a spectacular vidwan
So many things are just happening in music , endharO mahanubHavulu.

HEre is the hindu writeup of vidwan HK Narasimha Murthy.

http://www.thehindu.com/features/friday ... 193354.ece

varsha

Post by varsha »

I just could not believe when MDR was not happy with MSG getting more applause
Might have been that the applause interrupted his thought flow.IMHO We need not jump to this conclusion Afterall, MDR once sang a brilliant bhavayami raghuramam , replacing raghuramam wih jayaramam , and again sivaramam in praise of his sidemen.

Anyway , this article is a timely brilliant one.Thanks