Emerging Stars - Getting to know them early

Carnatic Musicians
Rsachi

Emerging Stars - Getting to know them early

Post by Rsachi »

Dear rasikas,
Last evening, a cryptic post by Suresh, while sitting in a concert enjoying Vishnudev's Bhairavi, said, 'Check out Parivadini'. I did, without any success, because the concert was not being streamed live.
Parivadini, Parampara,Madhuradhwani,Darbar, Shaale...so many of these new livecasts give us a glorious chance to know emerging stars. Apart from so many festivals like SRLKM Sankranti. It can even be argued that these artistes' best performances are some of these concerts at that point, before they begin performing with a pattern and predictability, somewhat being typecast like SRK, Rajini and Big B in their movies, or concerts being rolled off the press like The Hindu these days. The freshness, the energy, and even the "vulnerability" we see in that emergent phase, all this has its own charm.

But our communications and business as usual approach may rob us of such exposures to the emerging stars, and we may thus be missing an enchanting phase of an artiste's evolution.

Add to that the fact that there are so many youngsters literally storming the Carnatic stage today. Many of them sound the same, but each carries perhaps a different seed, a type of potential.

Any ideas how we can talk amongst ourselves about Emerging Stars any differently? I am not going into the debate about late bloomers, rediscovered geniuses, and "how come I hadn't known about this level of talent before?" regrets, At least, to avoid these things, an effort may be needed.

Should we label all such announcements and discussions about such emerging stars by beginning with the letters "ES"?

sureshvv

Re: Emerging Stars - Getting to know them early

Post by sureshvv »

We can do what we do best, start a new thread on the topic!

Rsachi

Post by Rsachi »

:D
Every emerging star, hanging by a mere thread...

varsha

Post by varsha »

RSachi
Sorry to disappoint you but if you are speaking on behalf of all rasikas , I can call these cries crocodile tears.
Not yours , and few others here , I make a pious distinction . But coming from a group of rasikas.
This lady has had the mortification of singing to audience numbering less than five , so many times in my listening career
have a look at this behag
https://youtu.be/7OgTpUuRrJ0

It is a very unfair world that the emerging artists encounter , and so every thread counts.
Not for Artists ( Thank God they get their inspiration from somewhere else )
It counts for the rasikas who may miss out on something that may never come back in a live fashion.

A decade ago I contemplated An alternative festival in January , featuring only those who did not get a shot in the prime festival.
In a cock a snook manner of speaking against the establishment.I was wise enough - in hind sight - to chart my own way of reconciling.

Rsachi

Post by Rsachi »

Varsha,
I respect your sentiments. I was trying to solve a trivial problem - to tag posts threads to draw attention to emerging stars. That is all.
Thanks for linking that Behag. I also found more videos of the lady in YT including a full Parivadini concert!

Smara Janaka was the MAIN item in a rain-soaked RKM concert in Blr some time ago!

CRama

Post by CRama »

Varshaji, Thanks for introducing D.Vardhini to me. I have never heard this vidushi. That Behag was so intense and stunning. This season, I will try to attend one of her concerts.

Rsachi, Just like this instance, our forumites can give links or suggest names of young vidwans/vidushis whose concerts we may include in must listen concerts.

sureshvv

Post by sureshvv »

Does not appear to be the Vizayanagaram Vardhani who has performed in Chennai a few times.

varsha

Post by varsha »

It is Vizayanagaram Vardhani indeed.

CRama

Post by CRama »

S.Adityanarayanan- Truly a rising star. Disciple of Suguna Varadachary. Yesterday, He presented an excellent concert in Arkay. It is available in YT. We should hear him more in this season.

MaheshS

Post by MaheshS »

CRama wrote:S.Adityanarayanan- Truly a rising star. Disciple of Suguna Varadachary. Yesterday, He presented an excellent concert in Arkay. It is available in YT. We should hear him more in this season.
+1 to that. I have posted a review of the concert.