dEvakriyA - Thyagaraja

Rāga related discussions
SrinathK

dEvakriyA - Thyagaraja

Post by SrinathK »

As I discussed in the dEvakriya - Dikshitar thread, the dEvakriya of Thyagaraja is a very different rAgA derived from kharaharapriya.

In fact, it is another one of his one rAgA, one kriti creations. Mostly scalar, it goes like this :
Aro : S R2 M1 P N2 S
Avaro : S N2 D2 N2 P M1 G2 R2 S

So a bit of dEvamamohari-ish DNP coming in there apart from the pentatonic arOhanam. Otherwise, this rAgA is quite a chip of the kharaharapriyA block.

And now, to the only kriti in this rAgA - nATi mATa marachitivO - https://youtube.com/watch?v=TxeApl1k9Lo (DKJ)

However, the story doesn't end here. This arOhanam-avarOhanam, if you observe, is very close to kApi. Replace that N2 in the arOhanam with N3 and it will be kApi. Therefore, it is possible to sing this rAgA similar to kApi, and identical to it on the descent. And sometimes, things can cross over to the other side altogether.

Which is what probably resulted in this same kriti (nATi mATa marachitivO) being sung in kApi also (who knows which was the original...or even if the original tune was either of these). But this is what we have, so at least let this not go extinct.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jU80fhlYiSU - yes, that is MDR singing the same kriti and that IS kApi. Probably the recording is sped up.

RSR

Re: dEvakriyA - Thyagaraja

Post by RSR »

Good one. i missed DKJ rendition in tube. It is a good idea to mention the parent scale of such rare ragams. If you do not mind, I suggest that you first cover all those ragams of Thyagaraja swami, like this one, where he has given only one kriti for the ragam.
this way, it will enable, learners not to be distracted by names in MD school. will give unity of presentation.
We can also omit kritis by other composers.
During the recent lull in the service, I had ventured to list Thyagaraja kritis under two main categories. the second group is mostly one ragam-one kriti.
I have listed them in Thyagaraja swami kritis section.
Surprisingly, I found that there were 140 such ragams ( 180 songs,as some ragams have two or four songs). arranged in alphabetical order for easy reference ( based on sangeethapriya site).
It will be great help if the parent ragam of each of these single kriti ragams of the composer, are given.
( my surmise is that, THYAGARAJA based most of these kritis in the standard sampoorna parent scales ( only 32 out of 72). Your diligent search and elucidation may bring out the correctness or otherswise of my surmise. I will give the url in the next post, here.

It may be a great idea to give link to Sri gOVINDAN'S gist of these songs along with tube url.

RSR

Post by RSR »

in continuation of the above post.

Thyagaraja swami gave us many songs in special ragams but only one or two.
and the names of ragams are not very well-nown either.
that is no reason not to explore them.
because many hugely popular kritis are the only krithi in that ragam.
for exnmple nagumomu is the only krithi by Thyagaraja in abheri and so on.
---------------
This is an attempt to give a birds eye view of such ragams and songs for exploration.
there are 140 such ragams and 180 kritis because some of them have two or four kritis.
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=824&start=325#p352340

SrinathK

Post by SrinathK »

I will stick to the alphabetical order as I intend to cover all the ragas. You may make a special post of Thyagaraja's one or two kriti ragas in his thread under vaggeyakaras.

HarishankarK

Devakriya

Post by HarishankarK »

What is the arohanam and avarohanam for this raga according to Dikshitar school?
Is nishadam included or varjyam in this ragam?
Karnatik.com is giving as below
raagam: dEvakriyA
Aa:S R2 M1 P N2 S
Av: S N2 D1 N P M1 G2 R2 S
Is this correct?
Then Devakriya is not = suddha saveri, right??
Because latter is 100% no nishadam

CRama

Re: Devakriya

Post by CRama »

What is given above the DEvakriya of Thyagaraja- not that of Deekshitar school. Pl see the following link.
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=33211

Devakriya of Deekshitar is here.
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=33193

SrinathK

Post by SrinathK »

What's say we merge 'em?

CRama

Post by CRama »

Better

Ranganayaki

Post by Ranganayaki »

SrinathK wrote: 30 Jul 2019, 21:47 What's say we merge 'em?
Merge the two Devakriyas? I would rather they weren't merged! Two very different ragas, and the discussions will be so mixed up, it could be hard to disentangle . I've had that difficulty before in a discussion about two close ragas. It was confusing.

RasikasModerator2

Post by RasikasModerator2 »

As requested, Merging this with the thread titled "devakriya - Thyagaraja" That already deals with this raga. Please note that devakriya of Dikshitar still exists separately.

Ranganayaki

Post by Ranganayaki »

Thank you.