Compositions / renderings in Sankirna Gati ( Nadai )

Miscellaneous topics on Carnatic music
Christian Kenit Ram

Compositions / renderings in Sankirna Gati ( Nadai )

Post by Christian Kenit Ram »

I have been looking for some material ( Krithi , Varnam , RTP , Thillana etc ... ) but it is really hard to find anything vocal or instrumental ( melodic ) .

On the other hand , pure percussive renderings are more prone to include Sankeerna Gathi , either in the middle of a Thani or as part of a drumming jam session , demonstration , lesson etc ...

It is BMK who has given a glimpse of what I would like to hear :

The Sankirna parts in -
- Gatibhedapriya Ragamalika ( Thillana )
- Mohana Vamshi Vadana

But since these are only fragments , the duration is much too short and one is not able to fully get into the 9-matra feeling .

An example of a fully developped piece is a RTP in Shankarabharanam by Abhishek Raghuram . It is however untypical , because it has the subdivisions 3 + 3 +3 ( = subset of Tishra Gati , instead of the typical 4 + 5 like BMK has done ) . Moreover the 9 matras are stretched over 2 pulses , so it sounds rather like a fancy Sankirna Chapu ( auditory Illusion) . The displaced eduppu adds even more complexity , so that you are not even aware of the sam , unless you use your full concentration and map the phrases with the singer´s clapping . On the other hand , in the Thani the percussionists use many of the standard phrases that characterize this Gathi . ( This doesn´t happen in the vocal and violin Swara-kalpanas ) .

It would be interesting to hear such a fully developped piece , but with the more mainstream subdivisions and phrases like BMK has used , but I am not even sure if that exists .

vijay.siddharth

Re: Compositions / renderings in Sankirna Gati ( Nadai )

Post by vijay.siddharth »

Lambōdara Sōdarā of Harikēsanallūr Muttayyā Bhāgavatar is set in Sankīrna Cāpu. A full-fledged rendition by Viduṣi Sugunā Varadācāri may be found on Sangītapriyā.

Christian Kenit Ram

Re: Compositions / renderings in Sankirna Gati ( Nadai )

Post by Christian Kenit Ram »

^

Thanks for the contribution !