SAMARPANAM-My art exhibition featuring a series of paintings

Miscellaneous topics on Carnatic music
jayk_89

Post by jayk_89 »

Namaskaram

My 4th art exhibition SAMARPANAM is to be held in Gallery SRI PARVATHI, Eldhams road, Alwarpet from 10th to 16th july 2009. the exhibition is on from 10 am to 7 pm on all these days. My guru Sri Neyveli Santhanagopalan and Cartoonist Madhan are to inaugurate the exhibition.

Inspired by his rendering of Navarasa slokam, i have done a series of Navarasa paintings featuring Sri MDR also including his portraits. The exhibition also showcases some paintings on Shiva.

Please visit www.njayakrishnan.wordpress.com for more details, and for the invitation and Brochure. The brochure which is available on the same site, has detailed description on the Navarasa series.

Please do visit the exhibition in any of these days
all are welciome :)

jayakrishnan

cienu

Post by cienu »

Very impressive .

Wish you all the best jayakrishnan :)

jayk_89

Post by jayk_89 »

thank you

coolkarni

Post by coolkarni »

Last edited by coolkarni on 25 Nov 2009, 07:37, edited 1 time in total.

eppramod

Post by eppramod »

Hello Jayakrishnan,

Great concept .All the best for you.
Unfortunately being in Bangalore I won't be able to attend this exhibition.

I read about this today in the Malayalam Daily "Mathrubhumi" and I was wondering whether
any info about this has come in rasikas.org ! I found it right here.Thanks.

After seeing this now I am now hearing MDR's "Navarasa" slokam rendition.Pure bliss!!

http://sangeethamshare.org/hariharan/MD ... Slokam.mp3

I have come across Kalamandalam Krishnan nair's navarasa photograph's (by Rajan Poduval ?)
and paintings of Artist Namboothiri..this is something unique.

Pramod

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Jayakrishna - a unique concept. Best Wishes!

Kji/others in Chennai, if you attend, please post your impressions (photos if allowed!)...

prashant

Post by prashant »

A fantastic concept and the paintings look beautiful. All the best, Jayakrishna!

arasi

Post by arasi »

Great to hear of your work, Jayakrishna! Hope you will post one or two pictures of the show.
Waiting to see rasikAs with MDR too! When the arts blend, it is even better. I have heard that an artist had exhibited his paintings of Sanjay in a New Delhi art gallery a year or so ago.
Music getting exposure in another medium...
Last edited by arasi on 11 Jul 2009, 07:53, edited 1 time in total.

jayk_89

Post by jayk_89 »

thanks everyone for your support. I will be at the gallery from 10am to 7pm till sunday (that is for the first 3 days), after which, in the afternoon from 2 pm. Coolkarni sir, please do post a convinient time, so that i ll make sure that i ll be there.

And sure, i ll post the photos .

jayakrishnan

mridhangam

Post by mridhangam »

I am planning to attend for sure.

J.balaji

gn.sn42

Post by gn.sn42 »

Congratulations and best wishes, jayk_89. Is an exhibition catalogue available for those interested and in particular those who cannot make it to the gallery?

Also, could you ask the gallery to update their website with information about your exhibition?
Last edited by gn.sn42 on 10 Jul 2009, 02:21, edited 1 time in total.

coolkarni

Post by coolkarni »

Last edited by coolkarni on 25 Nov 2009, 07:38, edited 1 time in total.

inconsequential

Post by inconsequential »

Great idea. Best wishes.
Something along similar lines: This great artist must have been a delight to watch and listen to.
http://www.thehindubusinessline.com/lif ... 170400.htm
Many here may have already read this. still...
regards

arasi

Post by arasi »

Inconsequential,
Yes, I have read it before but thanks for bringing it back! Worth reading many times and of course, there are others who haven't read this at all...

cienu

Post by cienu »

Thanks a lot inconsequential for the link :)

Truly a great artist and human being :)

vganesh

Post by vganesh »

Truly moving article Sri.Inconsequential. Thanks for the thread.
Sri. jayakrishnan, Very nice effort and inspiring invitation. I am there. CoolJi has to decide the timings on Saturday / Sunday.

vijay

Post by vijay »

All the best Jayakrishnan - would love to have been there - second Ravi's request....

mridhangam

Post by mridhangam »

Fantastic Exhibition of paintings ...Well done jayakrishnan. Morning at 11.30 The inauguration was done with lighting of the lamp by Neyveli R Santanagopalan and Cartoonist Madan.

Fantastic is the only word i can find.

J.Balaji

coolkarni

Post by coolkarni »

Last edited by coolkarni on 25 Nov 2009, 07:40, edited 1 time in total.

sridhar_ranga

Post by sridhar_ranga »

Why had I imagined Keerthi to be a She till now?!

coolkarni

Post by coolkarni »

Last edited by coolkarni on 25 Nov 2009, 07:41, edited 1 time in total.

vasanthakokilam

Post by vasanthakokilam »

In baseball, three strikes you are out. Cool, you are on strike two, two heartbreaks :)

jayk_89

Post by jayk_89 »

coolji, did you go to the gallery by any chance today? as i was on and off the gallery premises, just that i wanted to know wtr you came when i wasnt there.

Balaji sir, thank you! and ganesh sir, thanks for coming

coolkarni

Post by coolkarni »

Last edited by coolkarni on 23 Nov 2009, 20:36, edited 1 time in total.

vganesh

Post by vganesh »

Jaykrishnan, Very nice. My children enjoyed especially the second one. I also liked the ganges on shiva's head. It is very difficult to bath directly under a falls when the water is coming down with so much force. I have never been to art exhibtions because I do not understand art. As a layman I looked the pose in the drawing explaning about Shiva's power. next one is about the nataraja. A dancing pose so cryptic. About MDR and the paintings, it is very nice. As I explained the '3D' effect was very good.
All the best for your future endevours also.

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

Jayakrishnan
IT was a pleasure visiting your exhibition and more surprising to see that you are just 20 years and yesterday was your birthday. Just few observations take it with a grain of salt , it may not make much sense.

All the navarasas were done very well , few of them were superb like fear , rudram, anger. Only sympathy face was something I did not get it. I am not much into art at all, but I feel if you had depicted just these navarasas without the excess kathakali costume the face expressions would have come out well . Not that I am undermining about kathakali, I am a fish out of water there, just felt there was little too much makeup. Perhaps I am cribbing more the kathakali than your painting here . As I said if it does not make sense just drop it, I am kansen there.

ON your miscellaneous painting I loved the umbrella the most. Good luck with your painting and your music , one of the days when I attend be ready with the navarsasa slokham where I am sure you can render with almost the navarasa of atleast neyveli , your guru, who is closest to MDR in terms of baritone voice.

I would love if you could paint different musicians other than mdr . How about running your imagination say like MMI singing kApinArayani, SSI singing kharaharapriyA , GNB singing jayanthashree, kVN singing sahana , santhanam singing shivaranjani, TNR playing Todi, mAli playing kApi that would be a wonderful tribute too .

The pick of the whole lot is the MDR portrait (not the spectacled or the one opposite to that , the next one to spectacled one) the very light coloured one . I am listening rAma neepai tanuku of MDR in kedaram, kind of navarasagullA to me more than navarasam ;)

arasi

Post by arasi »

Rajesh,
Good to see that you are drawn into the art of painting! Art does not exist in individual compartments, as you know.

Jaikrishnan,
Did not know that you are twenty and are the student of our Vidyaarthi. Wonder what his impressions are about your paintings. Will you please share a few pictures of your paintings?
Last edited by arasi on 14 Jul 2009, 04:37, edited 1 time in total.

jayk_89

Post by jayk_89 »

Namaskaram everyone,
Thanks for all your blessings, and encouragement. Samarpanam is coming to an end today. Special thanks to Balaji sir, Rajesh, Coolji and ganesh, for visiting the gallery. i will soon post the pictures in my blog, www.njayakrishnan.wordpress.com .

I am very happy to inform you, that, Smt Visalakshi Ramanathan, w/o MDR maama had visited the gallery yesterday. I am indeed blessed for the same.

Arasi maam, please do check my blog for the pictures, which i will update very soon. I will post some photos here as well.

Seeking Blessings form you all

Jayakrishnan

jayk_89

Post by jayk_89 »

PLEASE VISIT www.njayakrishnan.wordpress.com for the PHOTOS. I HAVE UPLOADED THE PHOTOS.
Last edited by jayk_89 on 17 Jul 2009, 08:01, edited 1 time in total.

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Jayakrishnan, that page doesn't navigate to the blog, but a page that asks for a password.

jayk_89

Post by jayk_89 »

i have made the correction!! :)

rajeshnat

Re: SAMARPANAM-My art exhibition featuring a series of paintings

Post by rajeshnat »

All
I am just bumping up this thread after reading RKM and varanasi post. I had visited this lovely MDR painting exhibition in Parvathi Alwarpet way back in 2009 and wrote this post . I loved Jayakrishnan_unni deep painting to give MDR navarasa then. Just read few posts in this thread.

Sachi_R

Post by Sachi_R »

Rajeshnat, I recall Mr. Unni as being introduced to me by Sri. KVN himself in 1984-6 as a very good cartoonist. He was fond of Sri. KVN's music. He had a friend too with him, I forget his name.
Unni used to do satirical cartoons in The Hindu, right?

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

I think u are getting crossed with some one else. This jayakrishnan unni is young disciple of neyveli. He must have not even born in 1984 to 1986. By any chance in 1984 timeframe was that cartoonist madan that shri kvn introduced.