musicians combination -

Miscellaneous topics on Carnatic music
hnbhagavan

musicians combination -

Post by hnbhagavan »

This is a new topic.In the carnatic Music scenario the Vocal,Violin and Mridangam combinations play an important role.Accordingly Certain combination of artists combine frequently and certain combinations never happen.
To elaborate further Sanjay Subramanian in majority of the concerts is accompanied by S Vardarajan and Neyveli Venkatesh.However rarely he has different accompaniments.I have not come across TM Krishna in combination with S Varadarajan.I would love this great combination.Akkarai Subbalakshmi combines very well with TM Krishna and often perform in combination.
H K Venkataram accompanies TM Krishna often and is usually a great combination indeed.
Some interesting combinations would be Akkarai Subbalakshmi accompanying Sanjay Subramanyan.
This is not new.It has been happening even earlier days.GNB used to have Lalgudi and Palghat Raghu.But he has sung in other combinations also.
TN Seshagopalan used to have M Chandrasekharan for violin in good many concerts.

ark07

Re: musicians combination -

Post by ark07 »

If I am not wrong, in the last few years TM Krishna has publicly said that he won't have accompanists who refuse to accompany women on stage. So you can probably rule out S. Varadarajan ever accompanying TMK.

hnbhagavan

Post by hnbhagavan »

Sanjay Subramanyam has employed Women Upapakavadyams but no woman Violinist.TM Krishna as ark07 mentioned even the violin trinty - LGJ-MSG-TNK did not accompany Women.Only in his earlier career MSG did accompany MLV briefly.Now very good lady Violinists like Charumati Raghraman,Akkarai Subbalakshmi etc are very much sought after.

mridhangam

Post by mridhangam »

Is the topic going to be women accompaniments or male artistes refusing to accompany women artistes or by and large about the combinations (irrespective of gender) that works well ? Either from the point of view of artistes or rasikas? I think it would be better to cut the "gender" discussion here and go forward towards discussing the title.

Mannarkoil

madhyamar

Post by madhyamar »

hnbhagavan wrote: 03 Dec 2019, 10:40 Sanjay Subramanyam has employed Women Upapakavadyams but no woman Violinist.TM Krishna as ark07 mentioned even the violin trinty - LGJ-MSG-TNK did not accompany Women.Only in his earlier career MSG did accompany MLV briefly.Now very good lady Violinists like Charumati Raghraman,Akkarai Subbalakshmi etc are very much sought after.
Lalgudi vijayalakshmi has played for sanjay

hnbhagavan

Post by hnbhagavan »

Must have been two decades