want the meaning for the lyrics of "idadu padam tukki"

Place to go if you want to ask someone identify raga, tala, composer etc or ask for sāhitya (lyrics) or notations or translations.
sarithakola

Post by sarithakola »

I am a non tamil speaking person trying to learn the dance for "idadu padam" by papanasam sivan. Would like to understand the meaning for the entire piece.
Please help me out.

P: iDadu padam tUkki ADum naTarAjanaDi paNivaiyE nenjE
A: paDa aravADa puliyadaLADa bhaktargaL jaya jaya enavE
puli patanjali iru kaN kuLira tillaiyilE
C: tiruvaDi shilambugaL galIr galIrena tirumuDi iLamadiyoLi paLIr paLIrena
dhimi taka tarikiTa tOm ena tirumaal maddaLam adhira
shivakAmi maNALan tirucciTrambalam tanil punnakaiyOD-

thank you

Lakshman

Post by Lakshman »

Before requesting lyrics or meaning please do a search of our site and also on google.The song was discussed earlier and the meaning was provided by rshankar here:

http://rasikas.org/forums/viewtopic.php? ... shiva.html

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Saritha, if you want word-to-word meanings, I have edited my previous attempt:

pallavi
iDadu padam tUkki ADum naTarAjanaDi paNivaiyE nenjE

Oh mind/heart (nenjE), please serve (paNivaiyE) at the feet (aDi) of that naTarAja who dances (ADum) with his left (iDadu) foot (padam) raised (tUkki) [1].

anupallavi
paDa aravADa puliyadaLADa bhaktargaL jaya jaya enavE
puli patanjali iru kaN kuLira tillaiyilE

As he dances to the chanting of his praises (jaya jaya enavE) by his devotees (bhaktargaL) in cidambaram (tllaiyilE) to the delight of patanjali and vyAghrapAda (puli) [2] whose eyes (iru kaN - 2 eyes) were refreshed/pleased (kuLira) by the awesome sight, the snake (aravADa) around his neck (with its hood fanned out - paDa), and his tiger-skin (puli adaL) garments dance/move along (ADa).

caraNam
tiruvaDi shilambugaL galIr galIrena
tirumuDi iLamadiyoLi paLIr paLIrena
dhimi taka tarikiTa tOm ena tirumaal maddaLam adhira
shivakAmi maNALan tirucciTrambalam tanil punnakaiyODu

With steps so firm that the anklets (cilambugaL) adorning his divine (tiru) feet (aDi) make a ringing sound (galIr galIr ena); as slivers of light (oLi) flashing (paLIr paLIr ena) from the crescent (iLam) moon (madi) in his locks (tirumuDi) illuminate the skies; as the drum (maddaLam/mattaLam) that vishNu (tirumAl) plays reverberates (adhira) to (ena) the solkaTTu 'dhimi taka tarikiTa tOm', my Lord, the consort (maNALan) of SivakAmi dances in (tanilE) the sacred (tiru) city of cidambaram (ciTTrambalam) [3] with (ODu) a smile (punnagai) illuminating his features.

FOOTNOTES
[1] muttutANDavar in a beautiful composition asks the Lord why his left foot is the one that is raised in most places - some of the possible reasons he comes up with make him wonder, "is it because you do not want to bear your weight on that half of your body that has been given over to pArvatI?" OR "is it because your left foot hurts from having kicked yama to protect mArkaNDa?" - It is only in madurai that his right foot is raised - supposedly in response to the entreaties of a pANdya king who felt that his right foot must hurt after bearing his weight continually for all those years - so, to accede to his requests, Siva dances in the veLLi ambalam of madurai with his left foot planted and valadu/right padam raised. This incident is lyrically described by Smt. ANDAvan piccai in one of her compositions.
[2] The express purpose of the tANdava nrityam in cidambaram was to bless AdisESa and vyAghrapAda with an opportunity to witness the cosmic dance - AdisESa incarnates as the sage patanjali, and meets up with vyAghrapAda, and the Lord, without failing, dances for them in tillai, on the holy day of guru pUSam in the tamizh month of tai (January 15 to Feb 14), during the daytime, described vividly in naTanam ADinAr of Sri GKB.
[3] I think 'tiruciTTrambalam tanilE' can also be interpreted as 'in (tanilE) the hall/open space (ambalam) located in our consciousness (cit)'

sarithakola

Post by sarithakola »

I apologize that i missed the post earlier.
Shankar, thank you very very much for the word to word meaning.

Saritha

sarithakola

Post by sarithakola »

Thanks again for the footnotes as well. This website is a great help for people like me.

lshiv

Re: want the meaning for the lyrics of

Post by lshiv »

Namaskaram, thank you so much for the tiru citrambalam interpretation. It is awesome. Kindly say the name of the Muthuthandavar kriti you were mentioning in [1]

Lakshman

Re: want the meaning for the lyrics of

Post by Lakshman »

I think it is this song:
ennEramum oru kAlai. rAgA: tODi. Adi tALA. Muttu Tandavar.

P: ennEramum oru kAlait-tUkkik-koNDirukkira vaghai EdayyA
A: ponnADar pOTrum tollai nannADar Etrum tillai
ponnambala vANarE innum tAnum UnrAmal
C: ekkiya neruppavikka takkan vITTil naDandO
yamanai uddaittapOdu edirc-cuLukkEri nondO
cikkenavE piDittu candranai nilattil tEitta pOdinil uraindO
ugra cAmuNDiyuDan vAdukkADi ashandO
uNDa nanjuDambengum Urik-kAl vazhi vandO
takka puli pAmbiruvarkkum kUttADi Adi
salittut-tAnO porppAdam valittut-tAnO dEvarIr