Natyanjali Festival 2007

Classical Dance forms & related music
meena

Post by meena »

For all details pl. check:

DELETED
Last edited by meena on 06 May 2008, 10:37, edited 1 time in total.

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Just watched Dr. Padma Subrahmaniam's performance - definitely not bharatanATyam as we know it, but enormously entertaining and thought provoking!
1. In the opening piece, the pancAkSara is spelt out in sanskrit!
2. A new take on nandanAr caritam - since this version predates GKB's, I wonder if the latter took some poetic liberties!
3. Dr. PS always has great music - be it the late Shyamala Balakrishnan, her S-I-L, or Gayatri Kannan currently.
4. Mahati Kannan's pAvADai based outfit looks like the latest in the evolution of tailored bharatanATyam outfits - from the pyjama style one based on RDA's creation, to the saree-based outfit, to the pAvADai-based one.

meena

Post by meena »

Kuchipudi performance i enjoyed, the one choreographed by S Divyasena & Mosalikanti Kishore and it was well executed.

meena

Post by meena »

shankar

"Padma explores Sekkizhaar's story on Nandanar in his 'Periya Puranam'. She says composer Gopalakrishna Bharathi gave the Nandanar story a different twist, featuring a merciless Brahmin landlord. Nephew B. Kannan who plays the veena for Padma says that Nandanar was a maker of music intruments and was keen to worship Shiva but kept restraining himself and hence the lord took the step to get him into the temple and merge with him."

mahakavi

Post by mahakavi »

I enjoyed the performance of Geetha Ganesan on "vazhi maRaittirukkudE.." She portrayed the pathos (that must have pervaded nandanAr's mind) very well.

mahakavi

Post by mahakavi »

I enjoyed the Divyasena's troupe performance (kanjcadaLAyadAskshi..) too. I was perhaps expecting more from the tarangam item. It was rather passive and not the vibrant variety.

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Both of these concerts reviewed here featured the padam: 'teruvil vArAnO, yennai SatrE tirumbi pArAnO?'
http://www.rasikas.org/forums/viewtopic.php?id=716
http://www.rasikas.org/forums/viewtopic.php?id=1587

You can see it come to life in Sreelata Vinod's program at the nATyAnjalI (streaming webcast) - a very sensitive potrayal of an eager nAyikA, whose ardor turns to disappointment...

Lji,
Who is composer of the piece that she presents after the sekkIzhar viruttam (in SankarAbharaNam??)? 'nrityati nrityati...' I think it is Maharaja Swati Tirunal.

The last piece is not a traditional tillAnA, is it? What is it called? One of the couplets (naTarAjA, naTarAjA, nartana sundara naTarAjA, SivarAjA, SivarAjA, SivakAmi priya SivarAjA) is part of a lullaby...

Nick,
In this piece there are a few minutes with just the percussion ensemble performing that the dancer has imaginatively used to not just showcase pure dance, but evoke the image of Siva - the damarU, the deer and battle axe, his matted locks - VERY nice!

meena

Post by meena »

shankar
Nrityati nrityati yes it is sree ST

mahakavi

Post by mahakavi »

The ardhanArIswarar kuRavanjci by Roja Kannan and her assoicates is really superb. All the three segments (almost 1 1/2 hours) are a delight to watch.
Who is the composer of that kuRavanjci, anyway?

Lakshman

Post by Lakshman »

rshankar: The tillAnA clip is just that a part of a tillAnA. I tried to locate the words in may tillAnA database of 400 but there is no match.

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Lji,
That is why I think that this not a standard tillAnA, because if it was a standard one, the caraNam would not be a made up one: she uses 3 different sets of couplets - and I have heard my mother sing these to us as kids...as a lullaby.

Umesh

Post by Umesh »

Ravi, I don't think that verse at the end is meant to be the caranam since there is a change of pace and ragam here (Kiravani?? to Revati). She has just cut the thillana short at a few repetitions of the pallavi and then proceeded to another segment of her program. There's probably an anupallavi and a caranam, but she didn't include it. I see a lot of performers doing this to thillanas, probably because they're so catchy and a traditional way to end a show, but their caranams may not always fit into the theme.

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Thanks Umesh...