Sindubhairavi

Rāga related discussions
sindhu

Post by sindhu »

I am a new entrant in this forum. I welcome all of you.

I recently heard 'KanaVo ninaiVo kaNdadum veenO' in my favourite rag Sindubhairavi. I want to know the full lyrics and the author.

Laxman sir can help me.

Incidentally, there has been no topic under this beautiful raag 'Sindu bhairavi'

sheela

sindhu

Post by sindhu »

I would love to see some discussions on this excellent rag.

If there has been no thread on this, I would request our members to intiate analysis.

'VenkatAchala nilayam' and 'ViswEswara' are very good songs on this rag.

-sheela-
Last edited by sindhu on 30 Oct 2006, 16:35, edited 1 time in total.

Lakshman

Post by Lakshman »

kanavO ninaivO. rAgA: sUryakAnta/sindhubhairavi. cApu tALA. Composer: Gopalakrishna Bharati.

P: kanavO ninaivO kaNDadu vINO
A: manadil urudikoLLa vazhi onru kANEn
C1: niddirai tanil oru siddhan uruvAi vandu mukti taruvEnenru nattip-pEshinaduNDu
2: Arum igazhndu taLLum nArum pulaiyan ennai vArum parama padam shErum enrazhaittu
3: kiTTa nerungi vandu taTTi ezhuppi oru veTTa veLiyaik-kATTik-kaTTaLaiyiTTadu

vs_manjunath

Post by vs_manjunath »

Gangadheeswaram by Guru Surajananda is sung in Sindhu Bhairavi by DKJ.

chalanata

Post by chalanata »

why sindubhairavi is not taken as main item in any kutcheri? and should it be necessarily sung in madhyama sruthi?

ksrimech

Post by ksrimech »

chalanata,

http://www.sangeethapriya.org/~asokan/C ... SG-TVG-10/
The above link has a concert of Sri K J Yesudas with Sri M S Gopalakrishnan and Sri T V Gopalakrishnan. A Sindhu Bhairavi kriti starting swarga putri is the main piece.

Smt R Vedavalli mentions that only recently that sindhu bhairavi has been sung in madhyamasruthi. From her statement I infer Sindhu Bhairavi was sung in the regular panchama sruthi earlier.
http://www.kutcheribuzz.com/ask/music/vidhushi1.asp

sindhu

Post by sindhu »

Laxman Sir,

Thank you very much. But the mudhra of GB is not appearing in 'KanavO ninaivO'.

3/4 songs (eg. tandai tAy irundAl ) no mudhra is seen.

This is rather confusing.

-sheela-

Vocalist

Post by Vocalist »

I've heard two RTPs of TNS in the rAgA. One was absolutely divine. The other one...well...let's just say that his Singapore concert this year seemed like a massive improvement. :S

Unsurprisingly, the rAgA is another one of my favourites.

Karnaticfan

Post by Karnaticfan »

Madurai Srinivasan's 'karuNai deivamE' is frequently presented in concerts as 'after thani' stage.

ThillanAs are many in this rag, which may be a t/t(tech.transfer) from HM.

jayaram

Post by jayaram »

Vaa vaa vaa murugaiyya - a gem often sung by DKJ and his disciples (e.g. Balaji Shankar)

Who is the composer of this kriti?

Lakshman

Post by Lakshman »

Sindhu wrote:
But the mudhra of GB is not appearing in 'KanavO ninaivO'.

It is quite possible that there are additional stanza(s) that are missing in kanavO ninaivO.
GKB's mudra is there in tandai tAi.

tandai tAi. rAgA: mukhAri /SaNmukhapriyA. cApu tALA.

P: tandai tAi irundAl ivvulagattil umakkinda tAzhvellAm varumO ayyA
A: andamil naTam sheyyum ambalavANarE arumaiyAghavE peTru orumaiyuDan vaLartta
C1: kallAl oruvan kaDindaDikka uDal padaikka kAlin seruppAl oru vEDan edirttudaikka
villinAl oruvan vandaDikka umadu tirumEni ennamAi nondadO ayyA oru
2: kUsAmal iDaiyan kaik-kODAriyAl veTTak-kUTTattil oruvan pittA pEyA enat-tiTTa
vIsi madurai mAran pirambAl aDikka anda vELai yArai ninaindIrO ayyA oru
3: shIlamillAdoru peN kAriyumizhalAccE sErndavaLum talai mIdEra eLidAip-pOccE
bAlakrSNan idaip-pArkkum paDiyAccE pAl arugilengaNum pArkkil iduvE pEccE

Lakshman

Post by Lakshman »

Sindhu wrote:
Thank you very much. But the mudhra of GB is not appearing in 'KanavO ninaivO'
This song is from Nandanar Charitram.
I found many other songs in this book that do not have the GKB mudra. Maybe he did not use his ankita in all of his compositions.

Lakshman

Post by Lakshman »

Jayaram wrote:
Vaa vaa vaa murugaiyya - a gem often sung by DKJ and his disciples (e.g. Balaji Shankar)

Who is the composer of this kriti?
The song is by Gomathi Ramasubrahmanyam. DKJ has sung it on Sangeetha 6ECDB 347 cassette.
Geetha Rajasekhar also has rendered it on AVM 60B 9170 cassette.

Karnaticfan

Post by Karnaticfan »

One popular and good song in S.Bhairavi comes to my mind is "Mandirkku Uhandadu muruganin roopam", again a tukkada item.

Though eduppu of both pallavi and anupallavi with 'Dha', there is absolute difference to enjoy.

sindhu

Post by sindhu »

The Subramanya Bharati Song 'tEdi unnai' sung by TNS(tuned by himself) is a nice song in this Raag. Nice prayOgas of SB by him. I do not know how I missed this to mention.

mnsriram

Post by mnsriram »

Here is my attempt of venkaTAcala nilayam in sindhu bhairavi

http://www.rogepost.com/dn/oti4

Please let me know your comments

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Sriram,
Delectable as usual...keep up the (gAna)amritavarSam!
Ravi

prasadnambiar

Post by prasadnambiar »

i am a new member in this forum. about sindhu bhairavi, i think the kriti " Vilayatanithu nerama muruka" belongs to the same.

mnsriram

Post by mnsriram »

Thanks Ravi

chalanata

Post by chalanata »

vilayada ithu nerama? Sindhubairavi? Really? I've heard Maharajapuram Santhanam's in Shanmugapria.

Vocalist

Post by Vocalist »

It is in Shanmukhapriya. Wonder how I missed that one!!

mahakavi

Post by mahakavi »

sindhu wrote:Laxman Sir,

Thank you very much. But the mudhra of GB is not appearing in 'KanavO ninaivO'.

This is rather confusing.

-sheela-
Although this thread is old, I wanted to mention that this song "kanavo ninaivO.." is by GKB (part of nandanAr carittiram as mentioned by Lakshman). This song describes the amazement of the landlord (vEdiyar) of nandanAr when the latter told the former as to how to reach godhead. nandan replies "ayyE mettak kaDinam.." and tells him that it (bhakti) has to come from within and not be instructed by others. Thereupon the landlord pines as to how he should get such instruction from a "lowly" pulaiyan (nARum--smelly because he handles carcasses-- pulaiyan at that).

violinlover

Post by violinlover »

sindhubhairavi is one of the more light ragas which can be enjoyed by anybody and everybody. but to think of sindu bairavi as the main item is a bit off-colour. there are so many ghana naya ragas which give so much space for exploration and so many excellent kritis in these ragams by great composers. as we all know we can't take 'visweswara' or 'karunai deivame' as a main item( no question of 'can't take', but our mind has been tuned to hear these songs towards the end of the concert. or we can a leaf out of MDR's book( he took 'pavamAna' and sang it as a pallavi for 3 hours!!!)but we can sing RTP in this raga)
the raga gives lots of scope for improvisation and we can sing this raga for hours together,no doubt. the easiest way to remember this raga is to sing the same raga alapana for thodi with no gamaka. add to it chatusruti daivatam,chatusruthi rishabam and a madhyamam between suddha madhyamam and prathimadhyamam and you have the whole ragam in your lap!! an occassional kakali nishadam also adds colour to this ragam.
easier said than done but we have no problems related to swarasthanas in this raga as all the swaras are there!!!:D
this is just a brief description of sindhubhairavi but more can be discussed if you put forth your doubts, disagreements,arguments etc.,

violinlover

chalanata

Post by chalanata »

sindhubharavi is usually sung in madhyama sruthi. MS has sung a beautiful piece in her '10 languages' album. i've found it to be not suiting afternoons. it soars the temperatures of hot afternoons.

vijay

Post by vijay »

Violin Lover, TNS did a Pallavi in Bhairavi/Sindhu Bhairavi during the 2000 season - it is available commercially from Charsur. Splendid insights into the scope of Sindhu Bhairavi..

violinlover

Post by violinlover »

yes vijay, i didn't say sindubhairavi doesn't offer scope. infact i said this raga offers more scope for exploration than other ragas since all notes are present in this ragam. i just said that singing certain light pieces in this ragam cannot be taken as a main piece.that's all.
in fact i was present in that concert of TNS. he sang this pallavi again with my esteemed guru( shri MC) on violin.
the pallavi line is :

'kapAlini trishUlini ezhil sindhum bhairavi mAm pAhi' in kanda triputa talam 6 beats before samam.
Last edited by violinlover on 15 Jul 2007, 17:26, edited 1 time in total.

vageyakara

Post by vageyakara »

dearCM devotees,
please view and listen to one of my compositions, in the rAga Sindhubhairavi "VeenA gAna visharadhE"-Telugu-Goddess Saraswaty
ref: www.karnatik.com/c3468.shtml
Ramaraj

vijay

Post by vijay »

Violinlover, I did get your point in your original mail. You were lucky indeed to have been in that concert. The beginning appeared scratchy but he was in full flow by the time the RTP began.

kutty

Post by kutty »

The following are also sung in sindubhairavi:

tAmarai pUtta taTAkamaDi composed by Trichy Thyagarajan
cinnamciru peNnpOlE composed by KaNNadAsan
candrasEkharA IshA composed by PNS

arasi

Post by arasi »

tAmarai pUtta tadAgamaDI--Lakshman's listing says it is Gopala Krishna Bharathi's. I thought it was Dandapani Desikar's since he has sung it!

Lakshman

Post by Lakshman »

arasi:
You probably were checking in the 1st edition of my book. There were several errors in that book. For example: rAdha samEta krSnA is credited to Jayadeva (that is what I found in some book)!
The song in question is by Tiruchi G.Thyagarajan. It was popularized by Dandapani Desikar.

arasi

Post by arasi »

Thank you Lakshman!