Gamaka theory/paddhathi

Ideas and innovations in Indian classical music
girish_a

Gamaka theory/paddhathi

Post by girish_a »

This is to discuss Gamakas and their underlying theory. Knowledgable contributors are requested to tell us more on the subject. Please also provide references to useful resources. Your inputs and insights will be of much help to everyone.

The inspiration for this came from a talk on the subject of "Gamaka Paddhathi in Carnatic Music" which Prof. R. Vishweswaran gave yesterday on the Amruthavarshini FM radio channel. Yesterday's talk was the second in a series on the subject. The third part is on the next Sunday (around 8 O Clock or so). Unfortunately, I tuned in half-way through the programme, and also missed the first part. But here's what I understood:

1. There are two main schools/paddhathis of Gamaka.

2. These two are Dasha Gamaka Paddhathi and Pancha Dasha Gamaka Paddhathi.

3. These paddhathis define and describe various kinds of Gamakas.

4. Dasha Gamaka Paddhathi is more widely known (a reference to which also occurs in Dikshitar's Meenakshi kriti), but Pancha Dasha Gamaka Paddhathi is also very extensive and ought not to be ignored.

5. MOST MUSICIANS AND STUDENTS ARE UNAWARE OF THE EXISTENCE OF THESE PADDHATHIS AND THE VARIOUS KINDS OF GAMAKAS.

5. Any Gamaka is essentially one that falls under the classifications made by these Paddhathis, so even if the musician is unaware of these Paddhathis, he or she is essentially applying one of the Gamakas identified in these Paddhathis, albeit unknowingly.

6. AWARENESS OF THESE GAMAKA CLASSIFICATIONS/PADDHATHIS WILL ENHANCE ONE'S MUSICAL EXPERTISE.

msakella

Re: Gamaka theory/paddhathi

Post by msakella »

Dear brother-member, girish-a, You can download my CD, AMS Easy Methods-2007 from http://www.sangeethamshare.org/chandra/ ... hods-2007/ in which 60 various Gamakas have been provided with symbols and audio-files along with another set of 27 symbols and audio-files pertaining to Kaishiki-nishada only. It has long ago been proved that neither of these paddhathis presently cater our needs. But, most unfortunately, no proper action has ever been taken by any of our stalwarts to solve this problem bringing it within the reach of the common man. Once, when I have attended one of the Lec-dems on Panchadasha-gamakas of Vidwan Shri R.Vishveshwaran and asked to clarify about the relevancy of them with some of the present treatment of certain Gamakas he could not give me a satisfying answer. amsharma