Lovely lullabies from Hindi movies

Music that is not orthodox Carnatic or Hindustani.
rshankar

Lovely lullabies from Hindi movies

Post by rshankar »

From an interesting article in the Delhi edition of the Hindu

1. sO jA rAjkumAri
2. AjA rI, nindiyA tU AjA - Always blows my mind away...
3. nanhi kali sOnE cali - Another favorite
4. candan kA planA rESam ki dOri
5. tU hindu banEgA na musalmAn banEgA
6. mein gAvUn tU chup hO jA
7. tujhE sUraj kahUn yA candA - Just a tad bit self-serving?
8. candA hai tU mErA sUraj hai tU
9. lallA lallA lOri Not in the same class as the others
10. mErE ghar Ayi Ek nanhi pari My top favorite

arasi

Re: Lovely lullabies from Hindi movies

Post by arasi »

Ravi,
Some lovely ones there.
How about 'dhIre Se AjAre akhiyan mEn nindiyA AjAre AjA'! Forget the film name but the music is by Chitalkar Ramachandra. pIlu sounding, if I'm not mistaken.

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

arasi wrote:How about 'dhIre Se AjAre akhiyan mEn nindiyA AjAre AjA'! Forget the film name but the music is by Chitalkar Ramachandra. pIlu sounding, if I'm not mistaken.
Arasi here you go dhIrE sE AjA ri

sureshvv

Post by sureshvv »

Ravi,

Thanks for the lovely lullabies. They kept me up all night :-)

The link for #3 should be http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hlSQRxEE__c, I think.

sureshvv

Post by sureshvv »

arasi wrote: How about 'dhIre Se AjAre akhiyan mEn nindiyA AjAre AjA'! Forget the film name but the music is by Chitalkar Ramachandra. pIlu sounding, if I'm not mistaken.
Doesn't this sound awfully close to this tamil song http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wigeyu943kM

arasi

Post by arasi »

Suresh: they kept me up all night. :lol:
Actually, C. Ramachandra's first job as a music director was for a tamizh film--maNik koDi! His tunes sounded breezy but contained a lot of bhAvam and had depth too which you came to know after listening to the songs several times. And, that tamizh movie (Annai? Kandan KaruNai?) came out later.

Ravi,
Thank you ;)

sureshvv

Post by sureshvv »

The song is from "Annai". Google says R.Sudarsanam was the music director. It has a bunch of other nice songs.

http://www.raaga.com/channels/tamil/mov ... d=T0001532

ragam-talam

Post by ragam-talam »

6. mein gAvUn tU chup hO jA
No! The song is Mein gaun tum so jao - from Brahmachari.
Rafi saab at his best.

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

sureshvv wrote:Ravi,
Thanks for the lovely lullabies. They kept me up all night :-)
The link for #3 should be http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hlSQRxEE__c, I think.
Suresh, you are welcome! Lullabies, do keep you up - the lovelier they are, the more they reel you in, hook, line and sinker....I am a die-hard fan of these, especially the one from kabhi kabhi

mankuthimma

Post by mankuthimma »

Thanks Ravi .
For keeping So Ja Rajakumari at No 1 :P
7 was not a lullaby though .
It was a song with extreme irony being played out by a Father , while the Mom looks on ( only she knows the Dad is someone else )

Our Hindi Movie makers use to make such a hash out of "foreign" inspirations - so that only the songs have a lasting value.
I searched for the original ( Fanny with Maurice Chevalier ) far and wide in the 90s before locating it in London .

There are a few important misses though . Will come back :lol:

mankuthimma

Post by mankuthimma »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yHMmf-Yx7b8

I watched this at an age when I would go to sleep dreaming of the heroine . And what a sweet one was this , Rajashri 8)

mankuthimma

Post by mankuthimma »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=07PQcvl1KVk

A case where Kishore Da shows how far ahead he is , in comparison to Lata . How could a singer bring in so many emotions into a single song . Unbelievable genius.

vgovindan

Post by vgovindan »

mankuthimma wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=07PQcvl1KVk

A case where Kishore Da shows how far ahead he is , in comparison to Lata . How could a singer bring in so many emotions into a single song . Unbelievable genius.
Indeed, how I wish some of the bhAva is imbibed by our aspiring musicians. We can take a lesson or two from film music directors and singers, rather than asking 'what is bhAva other than rAga'.

In Papanasam Sivan's song 'enna tavam seidanai' - the word 'tAyE', if rendered with bhAva, the time would stand still.

yati vizrama sad-bhakti
virati drAkSA rasa nava rasa
yuta
kRticE bhajiyiJcu
yukti tyAgarAjuni taramA zrI rAma (sogasugA)

Sorry for digression

sureshvv

Post by sureshvv »

#6 doesn't sound too much like a lullaby either... More like an anthem for a marching band especially the background score

sureshvv

Post by sureshvv »

rshankar wrote:
2. AjA rI, nindiyA tU AjA - Always blows my mind away...
Yep... I can vouch for the same effect. Great song!
7. tujhE sUraj kahUn yA candA - Just a tad bit self-serving?
How so? Don't catch your drift.
10. mErE ghar Ayi Ek nanhi pari My top favorite
Is it the colors? Or the 70s look sported by all? Neetu Singh :-) ? Don't see how you could like this over #2 above

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

sureshvv wrote:How so? Don't catch your drift.
Didn't particularly care for the 'mErA nAm karEgA rOSan' bit....but otherwise, OK
sureshvv wrote:Is it the colors? Or the 70s look sported by all? Neetu Singh :-) ? Don't see how you could like this over #2 above
Mainly because it captured my sentiments when we first brought our daughter home...

gobilalitha

Post by gobilalitha »

I am transgressing a lot tangentially, I remember P G Venkatesan singing ' azhuvadil payanedhu' The tune was so sad that I used to comment ''why this man is actually weeping singing azhuvadhil payanedhu..Whenever I switched on the radio on a friday morning(70 years back) Tiruchi station of AIR will put on this song in Thirai ganam My grandfather used to scold me ' idhai enda karthale podare' . LIKEWISE recently in many serials in TV ,on friday evenings there will be a burning ghat scene with a corpse burning and the sons walking around with broken pots with water. Such a scene was telecast once on a kartigai festival day when small clay agal vilakkus were lit and placed in all parts of the house!!!
Mods, should there be a separate thread for AZHUGAI SONGS IN IFILMS GOBILLITHA

mankuthimma

Post by mankuthimma »

Mainly because it captured my sentiments when we first brought our daughter home
Ravi . A few quotes would not be out of place :P
Childhood : That period in Life when Nightmares occur only in sleep
Baby : One long alimentray canal .With a loud mouth at one end,And No reponsibility at the other .
BTW You forgot songs songs where Heros helped heroines get some sleep .
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wlkFcv5qkbU
a beautiful song.. Such beautiful Lyrics.And some fine camera work too.

gobilalitha

Post by gobilalitha »

Ravi, sorry for transgressing from the lovely topic. will try to add some songs . MERI LADLI from Naushad 'sANDAZcomes to my mind, Of course it is a birth day song.gobilalitha
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=98kyvAr8 ... 1&index=52

arasi

Post by arasi »

GBL,
As soon as Ravi started this thread, that star of a children's song came to mind. I did not mention it because, as you say, it's a birthday song. Nargis, Rajkapoor and Dilip Kumar and Naushad's super songs in Andaz.'.tU kahE agar.. jIvan bhar mein gIt sunAtA jAvUn', man bIn bajAtA jAvUn' and 'hum Aj kahIn dil khO baiTE'--such gems of lyrics too.

venkatakailasam

Post by venkatakailasam »

mankuthimma wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=07PQcvl1KVk

Yes. Unbelivable genious. Kishore Da, was one of those very few singers who took risks and experimented with different styles of music. Considered to be a legend in Hindi film world, this multi talented persona has excelled as a playback singer, actor, composer, lyrics writer, director, producer and script writer. The songs of Kishore Kumar have an extraordinary blend of romance, emotions, naughtiness and melancholy. There were people( including me ) who were mad after him.
His songs were for some time off the AIR-When only AIR was available at that time-I know people were crazy to here him over Radio Ceylon. Such was his hold over his fans.

venkatakailasam

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

mankuthimma wrote:How could a singer bring in so many emotions into a single song . Unbelievable genius.
I think playback singing can help many singers develop this aspect of emoting through voice modulation. I am firmly of the opinion that judicious use of opportunities for playback singing will help many singers remain faithful to Sruti and learn how to project emotions through their voices....Another favorite of mine (emoting through voice) is the incomparable Ms. Geeta Dutt....I have not been able to 'visualise' a thirsty person as well as I am always able to when Geeta Dutt states that she is 'antar ghaT tak pyAsi' in Aj sajan mohe ang lagA jA
In the song bhanvara baDA nAdAn hai, it is Asha's turn conjure up a naughty bee with the very first time she utters 'bhanvara', and the way she pronounces nAdAn, one can visualize a simpleton/innocent with not much of a stretch...

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

mankuthimma wrote:[Ravi . A few quotes would not be out of place :P
Childhood : That period in Life when Nightmares occur only in sleep
LOL! How correct!
mankuthimma wrote: Baby : One long alimentray canal .With a loud mouth at one end,And No reponsibility at the other
The same definition would fit a politician as well - only, the ends would be reversed!
mankuthimma wrote:BTW You forgot songs songs where Heros helped heroines get some sleep .
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wlkFcv5qkbU
a beautiful song.. Such beautiful Lyrics.And some fine camera work too.
Agree - absolutely beautiful!

venkatakailasam

Post by venkatakailasam »

"emotions through their voices.."

I have not come across anybody other than Smt. MS Subbulakshmi who can bring out the Bhava in full through voice whether it is devotional or pure carnatic or film songs (as in Sagunthala etc.) Voice is a gift of God which she had fully utilized as none else.
Aspiring youngsters have to ponder as Shri Govindan has indicated above.
venkatakailasam

vgovindan

Post by vgovindan »

vk,
While I agree with you about MS, I feel Madurai Somu has a great gift of bhAva, though his pronunciation leaves much to be desired. Have You heart TL Sarma whose concert was to take place on 20th instant? A great artist of bhAva and diction.

Cheerful

Post by Cheerful »

Here's a guy who is badly in need of a Lullaby! ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iTrpxVXc ... re=related

Lovely song rendered by Jesudas in his inimitable style !