How To Record Directly Into An Ipod?

Ideas and innovations in Indian classical music
sridevi

Post by sridevi »

How do we record directly using an IPOD? I have a 4 G ipod mini.
ah ... all the things one can learn from this community!
"rasikas.org - It is not just about music! "

Sridevi

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

You need a gizmo called iTalk that you plug in and begin recording. I record my daughter's music/dance classes using an iPod.
Ravi

Suji Ram

Post by Suji Ram »

rshankar wrote:You need a gizmo called iTalk that you plug in and begin recording. I record my daughter's music/dance classes using an iPod.
Ravi
Does it work on all ipods? or the 4th generation? I have 30 GB one. I do not see the "recording" in the extra menu-
before I invest on a microphone.

I did not know until yesterday that I could record using ipod!

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Suji,
Yes, the new iTalk can work with the new (video) iPods...it plugs into the socket where the power cord goes. In the old iPods, the old iTalk went into the headphone/speaker site, so you could record and charge at the same time. Once you plug the iTalk in there, a menu for recording will pop up. And you just follow instructions. You should try to record something not very important first, and do a dry run before you record something of importance. Once you've saved the file (it is saved as a .wav file), it will get transferred to your iTunes folder when you hot sync next. You can then modify the file into a .aac file, and decrease the file size. This is the only file that will be transferred from your iPod to the computer. For all other files it is a one way street (iTunes to iPod).

sankirnam

Post by sankirnam »

hmm, as far as i know, the italk only works with the old 4G ipods (click wheel and iPod photo). It isnt compatible with the video ipod.
The new italk, if there is one (i have not seen or heard of one), could be compatible with the new video ipod.

I have the original italk and a 4G ipod, and it works great for me... i can record full kutcheries, classes, what have you as in clear, good quality. It saves the files as .wav files, and with a sampling rate of 8 KHz.. this results in a file size that is comparable to a 128 Kbps mp3! pretty good for an uncompressed file!

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

The new iTallk is available...just google for it! Just like the new iTrip, it fits at the same slot that the iPod uses for charging...

Suji Ram

Post by Suji Ram »

Thanks ravi
Now I can record sitting in my closet! :)

MBK

Post by MBK »

Hi

While on the subject ... does anyone know of a site that I could possibly download the tambura drone. (possibly a long one)

Thanks!

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Don't know about tanpurA, but here is a site for the Sruti box drone:
http://www.karnatik.com/shrutibox.shtml

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Those of you with the new video iPods, this is the way to go to record concerts:
http://www.macmall.com/macmall/shop/det ... 37&Redir=1

Suji Ram

Post by Suji Ram »

rshankar wrote:Those of you with the new video iPods, this is the way to go to record concerts:
http://www.macmall.com/macmall/shop/det ... 37&Redir=1
Thanks Ravi,
This will be my holiday gift!

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Suji,
We will look forward more tracks from you!
Ravi