Thanjavur Sri.K.P.Sivanandam & Smt.Sarada Sivanandam

Carnatic Musicians
semmu86

Thanjavur Sri.K.P.Sivanandam & Smt.Sarada Sivanandam

Post by semmu86 »

I dont know whether a thread exists for these Vainika duo. I had the fortune of interacting with them and listening to many of their concerts @ the Music Academy, when i was learning mrudangam and they served as the directors of the Veena course and also @ The Teachers College of Music at the MA. Sri.Sivanandam, a descendant of the Tanjore Quatret, was conferred with the Sangeetha Kalanidhi by the MA in 1992. He learnt music and Bharatanatyam from his grandfather, Pandanallur Meenakshisundaram Pillai and his father Ponniah Pillai. He learnt Vina from Desamangalam Subramanya Iyer and Gomati Sankara Iyer.

Here is a lovely suruTTi from the husband-wife duo.. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTCqfKQs5GE
Rasikas can share their experiences if any, about these great artists

raghavt

Re: Thanjavur Sri.K.P.Sivanandam & Smt.Sarada Sivanandam

Post by raghavt »

@semmu86-> Where are you these days??? Tried several times on phone/email, no response.

ganeshkant

Post by ganeshkant »

Have listened to their concert in MA in 85 Dec.I believe.One more @ Sastry hall close to this concert.

vanajan

Post by vanajan »

My cousin learned from them for about 2 decades.I had gone with my cousin to her veena lessons whenever I went to my aunt's place. Simplicity and kindness are the words that come to me when I think of Smt.Sarada and Sri.Sivanandam. Intuitive and peaceful are the words that come to me when I think of their music. Though I had listened to their radio concerts, the only time I listened to them live was in the same cousin's wedding in 1979. Whenever best wedding concerts in the extended family are discussed by elders, their concert will be in the very top, next only to the nadaswaram music of Nachiyarkoil Sri.Rajam and Sri.Doraikannu with Sri.Ragavapillai in my parents wedding.

Vanaja