Dr. N. Rajam - Singapore - 3rd Feb 2012

Review the latest concerts you have listened to.
bilahari

Dr. N. Rajam - Singapore - 3rd Feb 2012

Post by bilahari »

Dr. N. Rajam - Violin
Dr. Sangeetha Shankar
Ragini Shankar
Nandini Shankar
Ajeet Pathak - Tabla

Temple of Fine Arts
Duration: 1h 45m

Approximate Songlist:

bAgESri [main]
pAyOji mainE - pahadi?
haunsadhwani (khyAl that sounds like vAtApi)
vaiSnava janatO
bhajan [announced as having some Benarasi flavour]
bhairavi

It was an absolutely lovely concert by Dr. N. Rajam and her family, though it was unduly short.

It was my first live concert of NR, and there is such warmth about both her music and her person that it cannot but touch and captivate the rasika. The beginning bAgESri was also the most elaborate piece in the concert, and I enjoyed how the quartet slowly built up the momentum throughout. The exchanges between the violinists were interesting, and I really admired the sparseness of the music. Of course, the N. Rajam style is technically very sound based on (1) the forceful bowing [and resultant tone] and full use of the bow [and resultant continuity especially when playing elongated kArvais or long phrases], and (2) a fingering technique that really makes the violin sound like the voice in reproducing brighas [there is a stunningly organic feel about the fingering]. Aside from technicalities, there is a great respect for shruti shuddam, moments of silence, and maintaining an even kAlapramANam. With trios and quartets, there is the perennial danger of discord and noise, but there was great understanding between the four violinists on stage, directed by appropriate sidelong glances by Dr. Rajam. In bAgESri, there were several exchanges with Western techniques like cross-string bowing, and passages with flat notes that reminded me of srIranjani (that NR had announced as the CM equivalent). The TNK/ Rajam clan also seem to love the technique of rapidly alternating cut bowing and normal length bowing towards the end of pieces, and as a student of the instrument, I can attest to how absolutely difficult it is to play such things. Sangeeta Shankar was expectedly good, but I was surprised by how good her daughters were - especially Nandini, who plays with a certain grip and maturity beyond her years.

I thought the bAgESri was some sort of a warm up exercise (lasted 45 min) and I was disappointed when the concert meandered to a close with a series of semi-classical pieces, although they were all played immaculately. The hamsadhwani seemed out of place, but I really enjoyed vaiSnava janatO. N. Rajam's sindhu bhairavi alapanai at the end was THE highlight of the concert, and it was very stirring especially as she dwelt on the lower octave. It is another noteworthy feature of her style - the respect given to the mandra stAyi all the way to the mandra shadjam throughout the concert.

Ajeet Pathak played beautifully throughout the concert, knowing when to be in the background and when to come to the fore.

It was a privilege to listen to Dr. Rajam's evolved and dignified music, though I wish the evening had continued for a while longer.

rajeshnat

Re: Dr. N. Rajam - Singapore - 3rd Feb 2012

Post by rajeshnat »

I just googled to find out that sangeeta shankar is the daughter of vidushi N Rajam, so it is 3 generations , all playing together

ramanathan

Post by ramanathan »

Three generations - file pic from a Chennai concert (svanubhava 2010)

cienu

Post by cienu »

Nice review bilahari & a lovely picture Ramanathan :)

mahavishnu

Post by mahavishnu »

haunsadhwani (khyAl that sounds like vAtApi)
The bandish is "lAgi lagan pati sakhi sang..."
Smt N Rajam has a very uniquely wonderful way of presenting it, possibly because of her intimate knowledge of vAtApi also.

I just love her use of the long bow. It is amazing to watch the grandchildren play the exact same style with that nonchalance and grace that Smt Rajam carries.

shyamkalyan74

Post by shyamkalyan74 »

The good thing i observed in the concert was the way the grand ma,daughter and grand childeren understand each other and the way tabala vidhwan cooperated and the majestic way Dr.Rajam lead the whole team.perfect coordination.

ganeshkant

Post by ganeshkant »

bilahari wrote:bhajan [announced as having some Benarasi flavour]
was it banArasi kamAj ? I have heard that from N.R before.

ramarama

Post by ramarama »

That benarasi piece (played in response to an audience request to prolong the concert before the concluding bhairavi) was a dadra.

The same piece can be heard here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5FNWjnivkek

Thalaivarda

Post by Thalaivarda »

wow, nice to see the above video. was there at that concert. i think she played yaman main and explained the differences between yaman and kalyani.

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Bilahari, Smt. Rajam and her niece, Smt. Kala Ramnath are my all time favorite hindustAni violinists (maybe even instrumentalists).... I assume Smt. Rajam was the one who first used this instrument to play hindustAni music, right?
The brother-sister jugalbandhis surely are treasures that belong in a time capsule....I use a piece of their rAmdhun as the ringtone for my mobile...

mahavishnu

Post by mahavishnu »

I assume Smt. Rajam was the one who first used this instrument to play hindustAni music, right?
My guess is that people like Pt VG Jog were playing hindustani violin before Smt N Rajam.

Thalaivarda

Post by Thalaivarda »

Baba Allaudin Khan, guru of ali akbar khan/ravi shankar used to play the violin, from whom VG.Jog also got lessons

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Thank you for the history on violin in HM!