The 'Nannu Palimpa' picture

Miscellaneous topics on Carnatic music
RaviSri

#1 The 'Nannu Palimpa' picture

Post by RaviSri »

Here is the picture of Rama, Sita, Lakshmana and Anjaneya presented by Walajapet Venkataramana Bhagavatar to Thyagaraja's daughter Seetalakshmi, on the occasion of her wedding. Apparently Walajapet had walked some distance to Tiruvaiyyaru with the picture on his head, seeing which Thyagaraja composed, 'nannu pAlimpa naDachi vacchitIvO' (did you come walking to protect me?)
I have just scanned and uploaded the picture, not done any cleaning.

http://i50.tinypic.com/35iumnt.jpg[/

PUNARVASU

#2 Re: The 'Nannu Palimpa' picture

Post by PUNARVASU »

Oh Lord! Have YOU come to rasikas.org to protect us all?

vasanthakokilam

#3 Re: The 'Nannu Palimpa' picture

Post by vasanthakokilam »

Awesome. Thanks RaviSri.
Punarvasu, Nice.

sureshvv

#4 Re: The 'Nannu Palimpa' picture

Post by sureshvv »

RaviSri wrote:Apparently Walajapet had walked some distance to Tiruvaiyyaru with the picture on his head, seeing which Thyagaraja composed, 'nannu pAlimpa naDachi vacchitIvO' (did you come walking to protect me?)
Thank you for the picture. "care for" would fit better instead of "protect" in your translation.

rshankar

#5 Re: The 'Nannu Palimpa' picture

Post by rshankar »

Beautiful! Thank you. RaviSri - (you may have already mentioned this), where is this picture now?

Rsachi

#6 Re: The 'Nannu Palimpa' picture

Post by Rsachi »

RaviSri,
Very interesting, thank you.
Permit me to say that I am a bit surprised about the bright colours, I wouldn't expect Tanjore paintings 200 years ago to use such bright colours (unavailable in traditional materials) and also ageing would rob them of the brightness anyway (action of UV light).

RaviSri

#7 Re: The 'Nannu Palimpa' picture

Post by RaviSri »

shankar, I don't know where the painting is now. I thought it would be in Varahappayyar lane, Thanjavur, since I assumed that from Seethalakshmi it would have been inherited by Guruvammal, her daughter-in-law, and that Guruvammal would have brought it along with the Rama Icon and the Thyagaraja painting to Thanjavur. But it is not there. In the 1980s I bought T.S.Parthasarathis' book (Thyagaraja Keerthanaigal), in the first edition (1967) of which this picture is found. I asked TSP during that year's December season as to how this picture was reproduced and where it was now. He said that someone took a photograph of the picture and it was reproduced in the book. He said that the picture 'might' now be (in the 1980s) at the Saurashtra Sabha in Madurai where the srImukham of Upanishad Brahmendra to Thyagaraja in 1835, asking the latter to come to Kanchipuram and the notebooks/manuscripts of Walajapet are also housed. TSP was not very forthcoming about these things. I could see he was trying to avoid me.

Rsachi, I am not knowledgeable about paintings. But I have seen bright coloured Tanjore paintings in the Tanjore palace. Otherwise, the photo taken of the picture must have been 'touched up' and brightened at the studio where it was processed.

I have asked for permission from the Saurashtra Sabha to see the manuscripts, srImukham etc. When I go to Madurai, I hope to see them and hopefully, the picture, if it is there. Let's see.

Rsachi

#8 Re: The 'Nannu Palimpa' picture

Post by Rsachi »

Thanks, RaviSri! Godspeed to your efforts.

thanjavooran

#9 Re: The 'Nannu Palimpa' picture

Post by thanjavooran »

RaviSri Avl,
Many thanks for the picture. But definitely not available at Varahappaier Lane.
Expecting a detailed report after your visit to Madurai.
With wishes,
Thanjavooran
30 11 2012

vasanthakokilam

#10 Re: The 'Nannu Palimpa' picture

All these wonderful discussions make me want to visit Varhappaier Lane and also the Saurashtra Sabha.

1) At the Varahappaier Lane house, I assume people are living there. Can one drop by or it requires some prior arrangement? What is the protocol?

2) Same thing about Saurashtra Sabha but somehow I feel that it would not be that easy or straight forward. What is the protocol there, if any?

Thanks.

rshankar

#11 Re: The 'Nannu Palimpa' picture

Post by rshankar »

RaviSri - Godspeed and the devil's own luck in unearthing these treasures!

maduraimini

#12 Re: The 'Nannu Palimpa' picture

Post by maduraimini »

Beautiful picture! Thank you, RaviSri!

RaviSri

#13 Re: The 'Nannu Palimpa' picture

Post by RaviSri »

vasanthakokilam, No protocol is required to visit the Varahappayyar lane house. As I had written in an earlier thread, the great-grandson of Guruvammal's brother lives there with his wife. His name is Thyagarajan. You can visit at any time but better would be in the mornings from say 8 a.m. to 11-30 a.m. and evening between 4 p.m. and 7 p.m., so that we don't disturb their private life. Of course, they are so forthcoming that even if you go at 9 p.m. they show you the icon and perform karpUra Arathi, but, since, a visit to Varahappayyar lane can also be done with a visit to the Bangaru Kamakshi temple which is just five minutes away, the temple timings would be suitable for Thyagaraja's Rama too. These days when I visit I give prior intimation through phone just to inform them. Either wife or husband will be available,as, they don't lock-up Rama and go away. nitya naiveEdyam has to be done everyday. Mostly both will be available. They are very nice people.

A suggestion if you can make it. Try going for the monthly bahuLa panchami pUja (This time December 3rd, then January 2nd and then the Aradhana January 31st). You can see the Icon without the garlands,vastram etc. Sri Thyagarajan performs abhisheka to the Icon, then does the alankAram. You can sing there, of course, as you can do at Bangaru Kamakshi sannidhi also. Remember, no photographs, no videos. We have to respect their sentiments. You can also visit Shyama Sastri's house, still preserved, in a small agrahAram within the temple. There is a lady there who is the grand-daughter of Shyama Sastri II, who was the son of Annasami Sastri. SS's descendants still perform pUja to Kamakshi and they are music rasikas too.

Saurashtra Sabha is a different thing. There you have to take permission beforehand.Even then I don't know whether they allow you to see the manuscripts. Last time I could not meet the president of the Saurashtra Sabha. I got his phone number but can contact him and fix up only when I go to Madurai. Even if they ask us to come we are not sure they would allow us. It is pure luck.

vasanthakokilam

#14 Re: The 'Nannu Palimpa' picture

Got it. Good information. Thanks RaviSri.

pattu

#15 Re: The 'Nannu Palimpa' picture

Post by pattu »

RaviSri, IS not the house of the Tanjore Quartette near this Varahappayyar lane? Can you give directions and also what other musically relevant places we can visit in Tanjore? I intend travelling for four or five days from next Monday.

RaviSri

#16 Re: The 'Nannu Palimpa' picture

Post by RaviSri »

Yes, Varahappayyar lane is on South street (terku veedhi) and the house of the Tanjore Quartette as well as the Bangaru Kamakshi temple are on West street (mEla veedhi).

When you come from the Big temple, come straight and take the natural left turn. Don't turn right which will take you to the old bus stand and the clock tower. Take the natural left and you automatically arrive at the beginning of West street. The Konkaneswara temple (where Dikshitar wrote 'jnAnamikE' in sEnAgraNi on the Ambal) and the Bangaru Kamakhi temple are on the left hand side in that order. The Quartette's house is on the right side, just opposite to the Shankara Mutt. They are twin houses (rather, were. Now one house has been demolished and the other which the Quartettes' father is supposed to have built for Dikshitar to stay is awaiting demolition). In the spanking new house, Kittappa Pillai's sons live, and one of them teaches dance there. Request him to show you the violin presented to Vadivelu by Swami Tirunal. It is made in ivory and is a masterpiece.

The South street branches off to the right just after the beginning of West street. Go further down and on the right you'll find the Veeraraghava School. Right opposite that school is the Varahappayyar lane which is a dead end with just about 8 or 10 houses. The second house on the left is Guruvammal's and houses the Rama Icon worshipped by Thyagaraja.

There are other places like the Agasteeswara temple on the banks of the Vennar (agastIshwaram in lalitA). I have not gone there.

pattu

#17 Re: The 'Nannu Palimpa' picture

Post by pattu »

Many many thanks RaviSri. And among the plethora of birth centenaries we forgot a more important event which no one seems to be celebrating. Shyama Sastri's 250th birth anniversary (born 1762). I intend to sing at the Bangaru Kamakshi temple. Do we need prior permission to sing at the sanctum?

RaviSri

#18 Re: The 'Nannu Palimpa' picture

Post by RaviSri »

After worshipping the Goddess, ask the priest whether you can sing. He will assent. Sit down and start singing, that's all.

sridhar

#19 Re: The 'Nannu Palimpa' picture

Post by sridhar »

if you turn from west st on to south st, wouldn't veeraraghava school come on your left and hence varahappaiyar lane on the right (opposite to school)?That is how I remember last time I visited that house during 165th aradhana. Of course there were lots of people visiting that house that day and the rama idol was covered in flowers and could barely get a glimpse of the face. Still it was a sight - barely few feet away from the idol worshiped by Thyagaraja. A sashtanga namaskaram and then I moved on. The sight of Bangaru Kamakshi ambal is also etched in my mind.

RaviSri

#20 Re: The 'Nannu Palimpa' picture

Post by RaviSri »

O Rama! Though I have visited about 10 times, I am now confused whether it is right or left after your post. Doesn't matter. Varahappayyar lane is opposite to Veeraraghava School which is easily identifiable.

carnatricks

#21 Re: The 'Nannu Palimpa' picture

Post by carnatricks »

pleasantly surprised to come across this thread. wonderful photo. is this the real one that thyagaraja sang in priase of

KNV1955

#22 Re: The 'Nannu Palimpa' picture

Post by KNV1955 »

Nice Post. When I visit Madurai next time I hope to visit the places. When someone sings "Nannu palimaba", the image will come in front of you & you can enjoy the song even more. HV Srivatsan during his recent visit to India sang this song as the main at TAG Centre, Chennai. Srivatsan is easily one of the best vocalists around but no one invites him. He is also a shy person & doesn't like to promote himself. My father(KVN) loved him & he has assimilated his music thoroughly.

KNV

RaviSri

#23 Re: The 'Nannu Palimpa' picture

Post by RaviSri »

carnatricks, Thyagaraja sang Nannu Palimpa on receiving his picture. Otherwise he had an icon of Rama that he worshipped. Read this thread and also the below link from this forum.
http://www.rasikas.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=16246

RaviSri

#24 Re: The 'Nannu Palimpa' picture

Post by RaviSri »

carnatricks

#25 Re: The 'Nannu Palimpa' picture

Post by carnatricks »

thanks a lot ravisri for the two informative links. very nice to see the actual picture that thyagaraja sang to