Recording on the i pod

Ideas and innovations in Indian classical music
bhaktha

Post by bhaktha »

I bought a 20GB apple i pod (b/w) recently. As far as i know, recording songs live is not possible with an i pod. But I have seen posts here mentioning something about recording on an i pod. Was it the i pod that was being referred to or was it some other mp3 player? I would sure like to know how to record concerts live, on an i pod....
Last edited by bhaktha on 04 Feb 2007, 20:55, edited 1 time in total.

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Bhaktha,
For most iPods (except the nano, shuffle and mini), you can use a device called iTalk or iTalk pro from Griffin Technologies, or Tune Talk to record. Just google for these products.

bhaktha

Post by bhaktha »

Thank you very much.

naaree

Post by naaree »

Also look for the micromemo from xtrememac.

rasaali

Post by rasaali »

Bhakta,

I have an ITalk. It is not bad but somehow the IPOD occasionally freezes while recording. I'd also heard that Apple had stopped marketing ITalks in their stores due to issues with the product but I have no concrete information on this.

There are also a slew of cheaper recorders available.

Best
Rasaali

Suji Ram

Post by Suji Ram »

I use Belkins- no problem

bhaktha

Post by bhaktha »

Thank you all for the info....hope to buy the accessory soon

gardabha_gana

Post by gardabha_gana »

Folks who have I-Pod with a recorder, can you tell me how this compares to one recorded with a digital voice recorder - which is better ?
Also, which is the best voice recorder accessory for an I-POD
Thanks a bunch,
--Srikanth

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

I use tunetalk, and really love the quality...esp if I record using the 'high quality' option!

gravikiran

Post by gravikiran »

from what i googled, iPod can not do line-in recording right?

meena

Post by meena »

check this thread Re: ipod rec etc. http://rasikas.org/forums/viewtopic.php?id=1607
shall merge this thread later :)

sankirnam

Post by sankirnam »

I dont really have experience with digital voice recorders... the only digital voice gadget i am familiar with is my ipod+italk. I swear by it, the quality is really very very good. I started using it to record my classes some years ago and have never looked back, the quality is very good. Also, the power consumption is nominal, so with the italk, it is possible to record full concerts with good quality, sometimes with better quality than what is provided by the sabha! Of course, the quality of the recording in a sabha depends on the sound system, where you are seated etc.
I dont think the italk can do line in recordings.
However, in India, I began to encounter a bunch of problems relating to loose contact of the mic into the ipod, which dissappeared at home in US. Maybe those problems are caused by the excessive dust in Chennai.

mohan

Post by mohan »

Minidisc recorders are excellent for Line-in recording and are the device of choice for a number of audio recording enthusiasts. The newest models (such as the Sony MZ-RH1) allow for easy transfer to a PC, mp3 compatibility, etc. The new MZ-RH1 also allows those who have old minidiscs to upload them easily to a computer.

You may able to pick a brand new one at a good price on ebay. See www.minidisc.org

Sam Swaminathan

Post by Sam Swaminathan »

Meenaji

I followed the link you had provided and got the following response....

Bad request. The link you followed is incorrect or outdated.

could you pl help ? regards sam

mohan

Post by mohan »

Sam Swaminathan wrote:I followed the link you had provided and got the following response....

Bad request. The link you followed is incorrect or outdated.

could you pl help ? regards sam
Sam the link worked for me. Try again!

clueless

Post by clueless »

I have an Olympus digital voice recorder (WS-320M) that has about 1GB of storage and can record in stereo. It can directly be plugged into a USB port, and uses a single AAA battery. It records in WMA format, which can easily be converted to MP3 using iTunes. Takes less storage than the WAV files that most iPod accessories allow you to record. The recording quality is excellent in the Stereo music mode, and progressively gets lower as you go towards the lower fidelity modes.

Clueless

meena

Post by meena »

Sam

Pl. 'login' and then try accessing the Q&A sec.

deepsands02

Post by deepsands02 »

Re line-in recording w an ipod and the italk, you are supposed to be able to do it, according to the italk product details.

I tried it a couple times and was unsuccessful due to loose connections and problems with the mixer I was getting the line from. Have not tested it since then, and so I am not sure if it is actually possible or not. And from my experience, the mic on the italk itself is not very good. If you are recording from a distance then it might be better, but I use it to record my music classes and have recorded concerts with it. Beyond a certain decibel level it starts to crackle, especially if its anywhere near the mrudangam. One thing you can do though to eliminate or at least minimize the crackling is attach a good external mic to the italk, which I have done and been successful with. I use a sony external mic I bought in the US, but my music teacher got a sony external mic here in Madras that he uses with his iriver, and it works quite well.

msakella

Post by msakella »

Dear brother/sister-members, Recently I have purchased a 30GB Video iPod and downloaded the relevant manual from the website. But, unfortunately, the material furnished in that manual for Video recordings is not at all clear and reliable. However, through some source I have got some reliable information in this regard and got it done successfully. After finding this thread in our forum, thinking that this information may become helpful to our members, I have furnished it hereunder.

 Connect to the internet.
 Go to www.freewarefiles.com
 Search ‘iPod ‘ opt ’audio,video’ under categories and click ‘submit’.
 Find ‘Freez iPod Video Converter 1.5’ under Programme names.
 Download any of the Server-1 or Server-2, save it and install with a desktop option.
 Click the icon in the Desktop, click ‘Add’ in the top left of its window.
 Select the required files and double click and click ‘Convert now’ in the bottom left of the window by which the files will be converted and saved in ‘mp4output folder’ of the ‘Freez iPod Video Converter’ folder.
 Open iTunes window and select ‘Movies’ from Library.
 Drag the converted files into the window.
 Connect the iPod.
 Select ‘Movies’ from iPod’s window, click ‘Sync movies’ & click “Selected’ button.
 Click the converted files in the window and click ‘Apply’.
 In the end disconnect the iPod properly.

Interested parties can follow this and get benefited and in case of any doubts they can contact to my e-mail address furnished in my profile or my son Chi. A.N.Swamy (Cell 09441254623) who formulated these instructions and got it done for me. amsharma.

Ahiri

Post by Ahiri »

The Transcend Recorder is a good option for recording .
Files(mp3) may later be transferred to the ipod for listening .
The device is small and handy and poses no problem.

More about the device here :
http://shopping.rediff.com/shop/product ... ers_search

Ruggedness threshold:
i have dropped it a couple of times and even once stamped it (accidentally) ,
it still continues to function well!

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

This is not strictly relavent to iPods, but to iTunes...

Will this DRM-free stuff affect CM tracks as well?
http://gameinvasion.comcast.net/gameinv ... itn_itunes