Places selected for Neraval in compositions ?

To teach and learn Indian classical music
vs_manjunath

Post by vs_manjunath »

Invariably, neraval is selected at charanam.

Why is this ?? Can't the neraval be attractive @ Pallavi / Anupallavi ?

mohan

Post by mohan »

Neraval can certainly be done anywhere where in the krithi. The meaning of the words should be looked at. There are many examples of this.

Neduneri Krishnamurthy sings neraval for rAma nee samanAmevaru (kharaharapriya) at the pallavi instead of the charanam and has said the meaning of the pallavi is better for neraval than the charanam "paluku paluku laku thene"

In Sri subramanyAya namaste (kAmbhoji) the popular point for neraval is at vAsavAdi (from the anupallavi) but GNB uses "tapatraya" (from the charanam). GNB also uses "sumathi thyagaraja" for neraval in nidhichala (kalyAni) instead of the usual mamathA bhandana. Both are from the charanam.

For marivere (lathAngi) Trichur Ramachandran does neraval on the pallavi line.

ksrimech

Post by ksrimech »

Smt MS sings neraval for sogasuga mridanga tALamU at the pallavi.

rbharath

Post by rbharath »

neraval can be done anywhere in the kriti.

some famous anupallavi neravals, that i can think off right now:

nIla nIrada sarIra dhIradhara in bAlagOpAla
anupamIta kamalA vAsE dEvi in janani mAmava
srI pancanadIsvaruni rANivai in nI pAdamulanu
sannutinci srI rAma sanru talacavE manasA in ennagAnu rAma bhajana

rbharath

Post by rbharath »

some pallavis which can be exploited for neraval, but never done..

evarimATa vinnAvO rAvO
rAvE himgirikumAri kanci kAmAkshi
pAlincu kAmAkshi pAvani pApasamaNi

mohan

Post by mohan »

bharat, the last one ... palincu ... I have heard sung as a RTP.

rbharath

Post by rbharath »

mohan wrote:bharat, the last one ... palincu ... I have heard sung as a RTP.
really? very possible!
personally i find the pallavi line lot more nice to do neraval than the half line 'kAntamaku' which is usually used!

prashant

Post by prashant »

Nedunuri Garu, while singing pAlinCu kAmAkshi, sings the almost-never-heard mudra charaNam and then sings niraval at 'rAjamukhi SyAmakrishNanuta kAnCIpurEshwari' which seems, to me, more appropriate and engaging than 'kAntamaku'.

rbharath

Post by rbharath »

prashant wrote:Nedunuri Garu, while singing pAlinCu kAmAkshi, sings the almost-never-heard mudra charaNam and then sings niraval at 'rAjamukhi SyAmakrishNanuta kAnCIpurEshwari' which seems, to me, more appropriate and engaging than 'kAntamaku'.
I am told Vijay Siva did the same at some recent concert of his...

Jigyaasa

Post by Jigyaasa »

Yes... It was at the Brahma Gana Sabha during the Dec season. His accompanists were Lalgudi Vijayalakshmi and J.Vaidyanathan.
Last edited by Jigyaasa on 26 Mar 2007, 16:11, edited 1 time in total.

annapoorne

Post by annapoorne »

I have heard the pallavi "LokavanaChathura" of Thyagaraja in Begada being taken for neraval .

sankirnam

Post by sankirnam »

prashant wrote:Nedunuri Garu, while singing pAlinCu kAmAkshi, sings the almost-never-heard mudra charaNam and then sings niraval at 'rAjamukhi SyAmakrishNanuta kAnCIpurEshwari' which seems, to me, more appropriate and engaging than 'kAntamaku'.
Prashant, I dont think I've heard this... more than likely, I already dowloaded this concert from somewhere and haven't listened to it yet. Which one(s) does he sing this in?

ksrimech

Post by ksrimech »

If you have the recodring can you share it here?

ravi2006

Post by ravi2006 »

Speaking of neraval for pallavi lines - Musiri used to do neraval for the 2nd line of the pallavi of Janani Ninnuvina in ritigoula -"Dikkevvaramma jagamulona gana".

Of course, there were also those pallavis that were so good for neraval that they were transformed into Pallavis (ie in the RTP sense) eg Ganalola (Todi,Baluswami Diksitar), Mahima teliya tarama (Sankarabharanam, Anai-Ayya).

drshrikaanth

Post by drshrikaanth »

ravi2006 wrote:Of course, there were also those pallavis that were so good for neraval that they were transformed into Pallavis (ie in the RTP sense) eg Ganalola (Todi,Baluswami Diksitar), Mahima teliya tarama (Sankarabharanam, Anai-Ayya).
For the record, these pallavis above are actually older than the kritis mentioned. These pallavi lines were so popular that some composers picked them up and used them as pallavis for their compositions.

knandago2001

Post by knandago2001 »

My references indicate otherwise:

1. The tamil script edition of the Sangita Sampradaya Pradarshini of Sri. Subbarama Dikshitar written by S. Ramanathan & B. Rajam Iyer under the supervision of T.L Venkatarama Iyer, Mudicondan C. Venkatarama Iyer and Dr. V. Raghavan (1961) Part - I, pp.46-47
The introduction to the kriti merely states "inda keertanam sri naarada maharishi payril Muthuswami Dikshitarudaiya sahodararum vaadyamum vaaipaattum sErnda sirinda vainikarumana Chinnaswami Dikshitaraal seiyyapattadu"
The pallavi of the kriti is given as "gaana lola karunaala vaala bhaagavata sheela maam paripaalaya"; in the pallavi (RTP) version it is truncated to "gaana lola karunaala vaala"

2. The compositions of Anai-Ayya compiled by T. Sankaran & T. Viswanathan, edited by Dr. Karikudi S. Subramaniam, published by Brhaddhvani (1990) Madras, pp.72-73
The pallavi of the kriti is given as "mahima teliya tarama nee mahini nee krupaavisesha" and extols Goddess Dharmasamvardhini; the pallavi (RTP) version is, however, rendered as "mahima teliya tarama raama"
Undoubtedly the Anai-Ayya brothers excelled in manodharma sangita. As asthana vidwans of Serfoji Maharaja of thanjavur (~1850), they were among august company of the likes of Todi Sitaaramaiyya, Sankarabharanam Narasaiyya, Rettai pallavi Sitaaramaiyyar...

rbharath

Post by rbharath »

another pallavi line very fitting for neraval...

bhakti bikshamiyyavE bhAvukamani sAtvIka

vgvindan

Post by vgvindan »

rbharath,
it is
bhakti biccamiyyavE bhAvukamagu sAtvIka
'biccam' is a telugu word meaning 'bhikSa'
http://www.rasikas.org/wiki/bhakti-biccamiyyave
Last edited by vgvindan on 27 Mar 2007, 23:15, edited 1 time in total.

knandago2001

Post by knandago2001 »

Pachchimiriyam Adiyappiah (of Viriboni fame) who was at the court of Tulaja II (1763-1787) is credited with having systematized the art of pallavi singing. Vidwan Chennakesaviah has authored "Ragalapana paddhati tana mattu pallavi" in which (pp.10-15) he refers to other titans in the field such as Syama Sastri, Pallavi Gopalayyar and Pallavi Doreswamy Ayyar. He speculates that the kritis of Tyagaraja which portrayed varied emotions may have inspired musicians to choose pallavis of kritis for improvisation in their pallavis (RTPs).

vs_manjunath

Post by vs_manjunath »

knandago2001- You have been providing very useful info. Thanks.

The original Sangeetha Samparadaya Pradarshini in Telugu has also mentioned the same sentence reg. "gAna lOla" in Thodi.

drshrikaanth

Post by drshrikaanth »

lnandago2001 and vs_manjunath,

Please see here

http://www.geocities.com/CollegePark/5409/pal_lyr.html

http://www.sawf.org/newedit/edit08192002/musicarts1.asp

And I have certainly seen this in texts as well although I do not recall which. Possibly R.N.Srilata's book on maOdharma sangIta published by Mysore Uni (I wont bet on this)

knandago2001

Post by knandago2001 »

Although I do not have access to Dr. RN Srilatha's book as of now, I'll be sure to look it up when I make my annual visit to the South.

The term pallavi likely refers to a combination of pada, padagarbha or “arudiâ€

rbharath

Post by rbharath »

vgvindan wrote:rbharath,
it is
bhakti biccamiyyavE bhAvukamagu sAtvIka
'biccam' is a telugu word meaning 'bhikSa'
http://www.rasikas.org/wiki/bhakti-biccamiyyave
thanks a lot Sri Govindan.

drshrikaanth

Post by drshrikaanth »

knandago2001 wrote:Although I do not have access to Dr. RN Srilatha's book as of now, I'll be sure to look it up when I make my annual visit to the South.
Please feel free to refer any book you want. And do include Chennakesaviah's book on pallavis as well as the music encycopedia from Mysore uni.
The term pallavi likely refers to a combination of pada, padagarbha or “arudiâ€

knandago2001

Post by knandago2001 »

I agree that the origins of the term pallavi remain obscure and mere conjecture cannot be construed as evidence. The article by Muthukumar and Ramana does not clarify why at all lyrics of a "popular RTP" should find favor in composing the pallavi of a kriti but rather suggests "plagiarism" by the composer. Given the pedigree of the Anai-Ayya brothers and Chinnaswami Dikshitar, I find this unacceptable. Furthermore, the RTP sahitya seems to be a truncated version of the kriti pallavi sahitya in each case.

With regard to sthaaya bhanjani and roopaka bhanjani of the Sangita Ratnakara, the compositions referred to are prabandhas - not kritis. I have not heard niraval singing for prabandhas. Where in a prabandha is it possible to improvise? Do we have recorded history in this regard? I am not aware. However, it is certainly possible that a given kriti may admit of niraval in more than one section or even within the same section(pallavi / anupallavi / charana) e.g: bhoosuraadi...... (Anupallavi)vaasavaadi........ (Anupallavi) taapatraya....... (Charana) of Sri Subhramanyaaya namaste. a priori roopaka bhanjani is more inclusive than sthaaya bhanjani. This description remains essentially the same even in the works of later musicologists such as Raghunatha Nayak who wrote "sangeeta sudha".

Our current understanding of RTP, niraval and even tana is largely based on developments in the post sangeet sudha period (18th century - early 20th century). Adiyappiah and others provide the reference time frame.

drshrikaanth

Post by drshrikaanth »

knandago2001 wrote:The article by Muthukumar and Ramana does not clarify why at all lyrics of a "popular RTP" should find favor in composing the pallavi of a kriti but rather suggests "plagiarism" by the composer.
I do not see it as plagiarism at all. I cant see why you should see it that way either. (This line is missing in the english version available as PDF file)
Furthermore, the RTP sahitya seems to be a truncated version of the kriti pallavi sahitya in each case.
Can you explain what you find so "truncated" about this. There is nothing truncated about gAnalOlakaruNAlavAla. mahimateliya taramA nI- certainly not an ideal pallavi in terms of construction but still not "Truncated". If you insist on seeing that as part of the kRti, then surely it will look truncated to you.
I have not heard niraval singing for prabandhas. Where in a prabandha is it possible to improvise?
Have you ever heard a prabandha being sung? Lets come to neraval after that. If the lines you quoted were referiing to prabandhas, then you should not quote it in this context. And it is beside the point to what is being discussed.

The second quote says "The whole song/composition" is improvised upon with melodic variations. There is no such thing done in CM as we know today. If pallavi is taken to mean "Whole composition" then it is rUpakabhanjani that will fit the bill of pallavi. But of course it is pointless to discuss that nit as it refers to prabandhas and not today's kRtis.

ramakriya

Post by ramakriya »

knandago2001 wrote:With regard to sthaaya bhanjani and roopaka bhanjani of the Sangita Ratnakara, the compositions referred to are prabandhas - not kritis. I have not heard niraval singing for prabandhas. Where in a prabandha is it possible to improvise?

a priori roopaka bhanjani is more inclusive than sthaaya bhanjani. This description remains essentially the same even in the works of later musicologists such as Raghunatha Nayak who wrote "sangeeta sudha".

Our current understanding of RTP, niraval and even tana is largely based on developments in the post sangeet sudha period (18th century - early 20th century). Adiyappiah and others provide the reference time frame.
One question here - Is there anyone still singing prabandhas? I thought they were an extinct species :( If you do have any examples of any prabandhas sung please share with us.

What is roopaka bhajane and sthya bhajane ? I am learning this terminology for the first time,. Can you please elaborate?

-Ramakriya

tmt fan

Post by tmt fan »

Neraval should be done in a place where the meaning of the words is plesant to hear repeatedly and the statement should be complete.the artist makes the statement more reposeful by eloborating musically well technically alsoso that the sahithya and sangitha mingle nicely and you get the atmost satisfaction. most of the artists sing neraval without understanding the meani ng and don,t see whether the statement is complete.For example,Iheard somebody singing ,Alanadu sowmithri padha seva,in raga vachaspathi,without completing the statement.I pity them.What else can I do?

knandago2001

Post by knandago2001 »

Here are the links to Veena Dhanammal’s rendition of the kriti – on the veena and her own voice!!
http://www.badongo.com/file/2625433 pallavi – mahima teliya taramaa nee mahini krupaa visesha; anupallavi – mahishaasuruni naNachina maa dharmasamvardhani; charana – vedashaastra muluchadivivi vaadamuseya nerchina khedamulu deerchu abhedamaina bhaktigalga; Following the kriti there is a brief spell of improvisation from 2’19â€

thanjavur

Post by thanjavur »

ramakriya wrote:Is there anyone still singing prabandhas? I thought they were an extinct species :( If you do have any examples of any prabandhas sung please share with us.
-Ramakriya
Sangeethapriya (TNS) links

Prabandham verse (Chediyaya valvinaigal theerkkum) - Ragamalikai
http://www.sangeethapriya.org/Downloads ... TIONAL.mp3

Cleveland - 1998
Prabandham verse (Chediyaya valvinaigal theerkkum) in Hamsanandi
http://www.sangeethapriya.org/Downloads ... adhvan.mp3

followed by,
Tirupati Venkataramana - Hamsanandi - Adi - Purandaradasar
http://www.sangeethapriya.org/Downloads ... _Hamsa.mp3

Prabandham verse (Chediyaya valvinaigal theerkkum) in Hamsanandi +
Srinivasa Tiruvenkata - Hamsanandi - Adi - Papanasam Sivan
http://www.sangeethapriya.org/Downloads ... nandhi.mp3
Last edited by thanjavur on 02 Apr 2007, 01:54, edited 1 time in total.

ramakriya

Post by ramakriya »

Tanjavur, Thanks for the links. But I do not think these divyaprabandhas ( I hope I am correct about the name) confirm to the prabandha lakshaNa given in musicial treatises - These look more like shlOkas or ugAbhOgas in their structure.

-Ramakriya
Last edited by ramakriya on 02 Apr 2007, 02:18, edited 1 time in total.

ksrimech

Post by ksrimech »

ramakriyaji,

Not all of these viruttams from nAlAyira divya prabhandam are viruttams.

For example tiruvAymozhi was sung in specific tALAs in the days of svAmi rAmAnujA but today only 3 families in India have the original varNameTTU, namely the arayar's of tiruvarangam, tiruvilliputtur and AzhvAr tirunagari. You can have a darSan with namperumAl, vaTapatraSAyi and Adipiran enjoying the pAsurams in the prabhanda style today also.

In my nUl (textbook) of nAlAyira divya prabhandam, I can see specific names of paNN and tALA (old tamizh) for each prabhanda at the begining of each pattu pAsuram. We also find evidence in AzhvAr pAsurams that they were being sung as songs.

I dont think we can conclude they are in the form of shlOkas or ugabhOgas alone. But, there are a 1000 pAsurams called the nAngAmAyiram or iyarpa which were handed over to us by AcAryAs without varNameTTu.

The same can be said for the tEvAram, tiruvAsagam etc of nAyanmArs as well.

Apologises for not writing in detail here. I was supposed write about the music in nAlAyira divya prabhandam a long time ago. Even RShankarji reminded me about it. I did start writing under the topic "pAvininsai pADi tirivanE". But I have to take my qualifying exams for PhD this April 9-25. So I will continue researching, writing and posting from May 2007. Sorry once again.

I wanted to know if somebody had a copy of Dr SR's 1966 PhD thesis on Silappadikaram at Wesleyan University which I could borrow or copy. I thought I would be of help to me when I research on the music available in nAlAyira divya prabhandams..

vs_manjunath

Post by vs_manjunath »

Tirumala Tirupathi Devasthanams have brought out cassettes on nalayira divyaprabhandams as sung in tirumala temple. It is sung in an unique style which is quite slow and enjoyable. At the first level of listening, we can't associate any ragam with this rendition. This is just for info. That's all.
Last edited by vs_manjunath on 04 Apr 2007, 19:56, edited 1 time in total.

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

ksrimech:
Good luck with your qualifiers.
Manjunath:
I heard someone say that the OduvArs who recite the prabhandam recite it in a pentatonic scale closest to mOhana(m)...is that anywhere close to the rendering in the cd? The Bombay sisters have released a CD where they have sung many of the prabhandams...

tmt fan

Post by tmt fan »

Thirunarayana trust in bangalore is doing yeoman service to bring out the ,Nalayira Divyaprabandham in musical form (CM) by recording first and second C.D.sung by Sangitha Kalanidhi R.Vedavalli withexcellant musicthat is very appropriate and the small book that contains the notations so that any body can learn.AND theyALSO arrange music concerts where .Divyaprabandam should be sung without fail.tHIS IS A NICE WAY TO PROPAGATE THE PRABANDHAM AND THIS IS THE ONLY ONE OF THIS KIND.

vs_manjunath

Post by vs_manjunath »

rshankar wrote:Manjunath:
I heard someone say that the OduvArs who recite the prabhandam recite it in a pentatonic scale closest to mOhana(m)
Shankar- With your input & careful listening- We can conclude Yes, it's Mohanam.
Last edited by vs_manjunath on 06 Apr 2007, 08:27, edited 1 time in total.

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Manjunath,
:)
Can you post the details of the cassettes from the TTD? Maybe we can order it online from Giritrading or some other place....
Thanks.
Ravi

thanjavur

Post by thanjavur »

Related topic :
Index >> Bhakti >> Divya Prabandham music
http://rasikas.org/forums/viewtopic.php?id=339

knandago2001

Post by knandago2001 »

ksrimech:

Could you please post details regarding the nUl on divyaprabandham. I'd like to purchase it, if possible. Thanks,

thanjavur

Post by thanjavur »

(TTD) Audio Cassettes - Alwar Divya Prabhandams

http://www.tirumala.org/activities_reli ... raudio.htm

vs_manjunath

Post by vs_manjunath »

rshankar wrote:Manjunath,
:)
Can you post the details of the cassettes from the TTD? Maybe we can order it online from Giritrading or some other place....
Thanks.
Ravi
NALAYIRA DIVYA PRABHANDAM Vol -38 ; KAL 000051
Vol 31 ; KAL 000044
Rendered in TIRUMALA Style
ALWAR DIVYA PRABANDHA PROJECT
SRI VENKATESHWARA RECORDING PROJECT
Tirumala Tirupathi Devastanams

Rendered in Tirumala Style
by Sri.U. Ve. T.A GOPALACHARYA SWAMY, TIRUPATI

PROGRAMME DESIGNED & DIRECTED BY KAMISETTY SRINIVASULU, Director SV REcording Project,

General Supervision: MKR VINAYAK IAS, EXECUTIVE OFFICER,TTD
(These two cassettes , I have purchased two years back , tht's in 2005- So many more cassetes might have come as of to-day as this is ALWAR DIVYA PRABHANDA PROJECT)

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Thanks!

meena

Post by meena »

Rendered in TIRUMALA Style
manjunath
what is Tirumala style?

vs_manjunath

Post by vs_manjunath »

This may be an unique style followed who have rendered it. Possibly RamanujAchArya must have initiated this style, which is followed to this day.

The same prabhandams may be sung in different styles in different Sree Vaishnava Temples ?

Only Iyengars who know this thoroughly are qualified to comment on your question " What is Tirumala style ?"

drshrikaanth

Post by drshrikaanth »

knandago2001 wrote:I have not heard niraval singing for prabandhas. Where in a prabandha is it possible to improvise?
http://rasikas.org/forums/viewtopic.php?id=2621

vs_manjunath

Post by vs_manjunath »

The full second charanam is as follows:

rAjAdhi rAja makuta thata mani rAjabhojAla|

nijasaNidhi devi samastha janulakella varadA||

rAjamukhi shyAmakrishna nutha|

kAnchipuRishwari vikacha|

rAjeevadhalAkshi jagathsAkhiyau prasanna parAshakthi ||
(pAlinchu kAmAkshi)

knandago2001

Post by knandago2001 »

Excerpts from Smt. R. Vedavalli’s Lec-Dem on Niraval
at Rasikhapriya in Kolkata on 16-11-08

The term niraval may derive from tamil (as in the phrase "vaartai kondu nEruvadal"
Last edited by knandago2001 on 20 Nov 2008, 09:55, edited 1 time in total.

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Nandagopal,

Thanks for that painstaking, in-depth, and informative summarization!

Did the vidushi have anything to say about when to sing the neraval? I have noticed that Sri SSI and Smt. MSS sang niravals during the rendering of the song - i.e., when the particular line/phrase is sung - sometimes, after the neraval, and svaras, a full caraNam may be sung after that. Most of the others sing the composition in it's entirety first and then go back and take up the line/phrase for neraval - and the rationale given is that they do not want to disturb the development of the composition by interposing the neraval. Personally, I like the SSI/MSS approach so much better.

vijay

Post by vijay »

Thanks Nandagopal. Incidentally the Vidushi has also broght out a CD on the subject which covers largely the same points. It is highly recommended for those not able to attend the LD in person.

I have also found Suguna Puroshottaman's lec dem on Neravals both absorbing and enlightening.

bilahari

Post by bilahari »

Nanadagopal, that was an excellent, informative writeup. Thanks a lot! But what does this mean: "niraval for the poorvanga and uttaranga should, as far a possible, be completed in the respective sections"