Review of Kalpakam Swaminathan Veena Concert at Music Club I

Review the latest concerts you have listened to.
rbharath

Post by rbharath »

Smt Kalpakam Swaminathan - Veena
Smt S R Padmavathi - Veena Support
Thanjavur Sri R Kumar - Mrudangam

Music Club IIT Madras 2nd Feb 2006

nEranammiti - kAnaDA varNam - aTa tALam - ramanathapuram srinivAsa iyengAr
vAtApi gaNapatim - hamsadvani - Adi - MD (S)
srI mAtAh - bEgaDa - Adi - MD (R)
duDugukala - gauLA - Adi - T
nIvE gAni - bilahari - cApu - T (RS)
EkAmranAtEsvarENa - caturangiNi - Adi - MD (RS)
srI sarasvatI - mAnji - Adi - MD
bruhannAyikE - AndALi - Adi - MD
gOvindarAjam upAsmahE - mukhAri - cApu - MD (R)
inkevarunnAru - sahAnA - Adi - aNNAsvAmi sAstri (R)
sEshAcala nAyakam - varALi - rUpakam - MD (R tAnam)
srI subramanyAya - kAmbhOji - rUpakam - MD (R)
gaNesa kumAra pAhimAm - chenchuruTTi - catusra Ekam - MD (R)
tani
simhAsanastitE - rAgamAlikA (saurAshTRam, vasanta, suruTTi, madhyamAvati) - rUpakam - MD

The concert started with a leisurely rendition of the aTa tALa varNam and the hamsadvani kriti had brisk svarams. The bEgaDa AlApanai was measured and portrayed all the essential sancarams of the ragam. The usage of the apradhi madhyamam was distinctly shown during the AlApanai. The kriti was rendered very well.

The pancaratnam which followed was good also. Playing both the svaram and sAhityam of all the caranams, Smt. Swaminathan displayed that instrumental music doesnot completely depend on just notes but can also show the lyrics. The bilahari AlApanai which followed was good and displayed the beauty of the ragam in full. The kriti chosen, it couldn't get rarer. The kriti was very good and the svarams which followed in both kIzh kAlam and mEl kAlam were very good. Rarity yet again was the caturangiNi AlApanai. The 66th asampUrNa mELam was well elaborated and the kriti was rendered with a lot of bhavam and svarams were good also.

If one all along thought, mAnji is playing bhairavi with mistakes, next came the proof of the contrary. From the word go, there was no influence of bhairavi at all. The kriti was rendered with a lot of weight and bhavam in it. The AndALi kriti which followed was a fast number played to have a change to mood and get the audience ready for what was suppose to come.

The next was a very good AlApanai of mukhAri and the kriti, another rare piece, was rendered very well. The sahAnA AlApanai was tooo good exactly showing how the gAndhAram should be a shade lower. The kriti with sparkling cittai svara sAhityam was well rendered. The next was a leisurely elaboration of varALi with all that was needed and more. The tAnam was even more better. The kriti was rendered in vilamba kAlam. The kAlapramANam was amazing and was too pleasing to the ears much more than the fast version of the kriti which is more popular.

Well that was not all, kAmbhOji was next in line. From the first sancaram there was a lot of bhavam and the short yet sweet AlApanai was aptly followed by the slow rendition of the kriti which was followed by change of naDai at the pallavi line and playing the pallavi line in second and third kAlams. Next in line was a very good elaboration of chenchuruTTi in madhyama sruthi with yet another rare kriti of dIkshitar.

The tani which followed was nice short crisp and well structured. The mangalam kriti was good also. Sri Kumar on mrudangam provided very good support and played according to each sangati and yet again prooved why he is the most sort after mrudangist for veena concerts. Though advancing age is having an impact, the music delivered by the octagenerian is not diluted at all, not even to one drop. The Sruthi Sudhdham even with the absence of any sruthi box, the exact gamakkas without any damage portraying the raga bhavam perfectly were all things which make one adore the artist. It was very great experience to hear musicians of this calibre live and enjoy it to the fullest.

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Bharath,
Does the Music Club at IITM record their concerts?
Ravi

kiransurya

Post by kiransurya »

Iam sure that they would. They wouldnt want to miss these ones out. Wonder if they sell them.

rbharath

Post by rbharath »

we usually dont record the concerts officially.

Of late the vidwans make personal recordings or ask us to record for their use. This was recorded for the sake of a disciple of Smt Swaminathan. It was even videographed by somebody.

kiransurya

Post by kiransurya »

By any chance, can we scrounge a copy of it ...

rbharath

Post by rbharath »

if i do get a copy, can pass it on.

kiransurya

Post by kiransurya »

Cheers

coolkarni

Post by coolkarni »

<<if i do get a copy, can pass it on.>>

rbharath
please add K Vageesh's concert of 2005 (dasara pada special) to the list.
If only to hear his Elaaaaborate Shudha Dhanyasi once again -Just once again.
That was one great concert !!

rbharath

Post by rbharath »

am afraid, that is going to be all the more tough coolkarni. Kalpakam mami atleast is somewhere near here and it may be possible to network thro' some student of her's to the concert recording. If luck favours the club office bearers may not even have handed over the copy to her yet.

Dr. Vageesh's concert, it was recorded on his request and he did take the copy with him that night to trichy. You could prolly contact his secretary at the office of the station director All India Radio, Trichy.

rbharath

Post by rbharath »

the second part of the second statement was ment to be taken in the light sense. It it almost not possible of me to get a copy of that concert. I dont wish to give false hopes.

jayachAmarAja

Post by jayachAmarAja »

if i do get a copy, can pass it on.
I would love a copy too, Bharath. Also, if it is indeed the case that someone other than mami recorded the concert, may i please *request* you to see to it that mami herself gets a copy.

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Bharath,
If I understand correctly, some of Smt. Kalpagam Swaminthan's CDs have been recently released commercially. I hope this one will also be added to that list. Ramji (aka davalangi) are you listening/reading? Comments?
I think Smt. KS should have the option of commercially releasing her concerts.
Ravi

rbharath

Post by rbharath »

jayachAmarAja, will see to it.

rshankar, Yup a couple of CDs of mami playing dikshitar kritis have been released commercially. People who wish to buy can contact swarasamuha@gmail.com.

this concert, i dont know if it would be released commercially as well.

bharath

jayachAmarAja

Post by jayachAmarAja »

dear bharath, is there an update on the availability of mami's concert at IITM ? if so, could you please post on this BB ?

kiransurya

Post by kiransurya »

Bharath!
Does smt Swaminathan sing while she was playing? I mean on those CD tracks for sale?

rbharath

Post by rbharath »

jayachAmarAja, somebody in iitm has a copy is it? will try to find out. i dont have one.

kiran, She has not sung in the CDs that are available.