Yen Palli Kondeerayya full rendering

Miscellaneous topics on Carnatic music
raghavasimhan

Yen Palli Kondeerayya full rendering

Post by raghavasimhan »

Namaskaram,
I am searching for the full rendering of Arunachala Kavi's Yen Palli Kondeerayya. Unfortunately all the singers just sing only the first two charanams and omit the third. Is there any audio resource anywhere where the third charanam is also sung? I have the lyrics at hand, but would be better if someone has the audio too. Can someone please point me to any such recording?

Dhanyosmi,
Raghavasimhan

ajaysimha

Re: Yen Palli Kondeerayya full rendering

Post by ajaysimha »

kavirayar has composed yen pallikondiraiyya krithi very beautifully,

first charanam (ramavathara incidents)
second chararanam (krishnavatara incidents)
third charanam (sharanagathi tatvam)

i have heard the last charanam sung by only at srirangam veenai ekantham (basically in live performance)

not aware of any links.

raghavasimhan

Post by raghavasimhan »

Indeed, I have also heard it only at the Srirangam veenai ekantham. Wish our singers can sing the full 3 charanams. It is a pity that the sharanagathi tatvam is omitted from this beautiful krithi. None of the singers ever do sing it.

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

In a discussion on the rAmanATakam, I seem to remember Dr. Sudha Seshayyan saying that Kavirayar wanted the arangETRam of the full gEya nATakam to occur in the Srirangam temple. When the team assembled there to offer it to Sri ranganAtha perumAL, he was told that it was traditional to start with a composition on the presiding deity, and this is how En paLLi koNDIrayyA came to be composed.

In case people are wondering what the last caraNam is, we discussed the kRti here:
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=7359&hilit=yEn+paLLi

raghavasimhan

Post by raghavasimhan »

Namaskaram rshankar ayya, the history is actually a bit more colourful. Just to repeat an oft known anecdote:

When Kambar wanted to do the arangEtram of his "Ramavatharam" (kamba Ramayanam) in Srirangam temple, the poets of those times objected to it since it contained 'Hiranyavathai padalam'. "What has Hiranyavathai has to do with Ramayanam? If this should be admissible, then Narasimhamurthy himself should agree" they said. Worried, Kambar recited the next poem in praise of Narasimhamurthy

நசை திறந்து இலங்கப் பொங்கி, 'நன்று நன்று' என்ன நக்கு;
விசை திறந்து உருமு வீழ்ந்தது என்னவே, தூணின் வென்றி
இசை திறந்து, உயர்ந்த கையால் எற்றினான்; எற்றலொடும்;
திசை திறந்து, அண்டம் கீறிச் சிரித்தது செங்கட் சீயம்!

Hearing this Nrsimha himself laughed with such a mighty roar that the poets had no choice but to accept.

Nearly 650 years later, when kaviraryar wanted to do the ArangEtram of his Natakam at the temple at the same spot as Kambar, the poets of that time also objected for some reasons. And Kavirayar composed this song, following which Ranganathaswamy came in the dreams of the poets and asked them to accept Kavirayar's natakam and so it was done in the "kambaMandapam" itself.

ajaysimha

Post by ajaysimha »

thanks for the info @raghavasimhan