Vignesh Ishwar@NaadaInbam on Oct 15th,2022

Review the latest concerts you have listened to.
rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Vocal : Vignesh Ishwar
Violin : HN Bhaskar
Mrudangam : Manoj Siva
Ghatam - Ghatam Karthick

Concert Type : Nirvana - no concert to follow
Day/Duration : Saturday /2 hours and 10 mins
Hall : RAgasudha Hall
Sabha: NaadaInbam

1. swarajathi - yadhukulakAmbOdhi -SS
2. shree mAnini - poornashadjam -T
3. ayyanE natanam aadiya (viruththam, violin taaanam, vocal taanam, neraval) - sAveri - MuthuTandavar
starting with brief alapana and seguing into viritta senjudaiyaada
violin taanam with violin and vocal each 2 mins
neraval in vinda namachivaaya velmuruganai petra for 8 mins

4. patti viduvarAdhu - mAnjari -T
5A.shree kamAlAmbikayA KatAkshitoham(R,N) - shankarabharanam - MD
neraval in anantha kOti nAyaka shankara for 6 mins
7 mins swaras
5B.tani
6. sagara sayana vibhO - bhAgeshri - MDR
7. bAro Krishnayya - mAnd and Jonpuri - kanakadasa
8. thillana dhirana tara dheem -shenjurutti- veena seshanna
9. ramachandrAya mangalam

rajeshnat

Re: Vignesh Ishwar@NaadaInbam on Oct 15th,2022

Post by rajeshnat »

Vignesh Ishwar is a gifted musician both in terms of sareeram and SAreeram . The start of swarajathi in general i adore ,who created this master stroke . I am assuming that should have been first done by the greatest of greatest semmangudi.I do know out of sheer attendance in hearing many concerts , the yadhukula kambOdhi is not sung by many musicians as they dont have that paadantaram. I am assuming from DKP/DKJ or Semmangudi or MSamma school few musicians from todays era have sung it . This ragam is intensely serene and Vignesh sang with nice kalapramanam. The poornashadjam or manjari fillers did not register as wellas other songs. The main in shankarabharanam with kamalAmba series is a great choice , vignesh perhaps adores semmangudi and in shankarabharanam i could spot a lot of srinisa higher notes of melakartha 29.The tukkadas were all sung with nice sruthi and fidelity. Overall the intense classicim never dropped

If i did not like one it was submain intra song shuffle . WHile it is great to sing a brief alapana and have a viruththam which was perhaps done so often by the 2 greats tvs and tns , just asking violinist to play taanam only shows lack of continuity in going deep . I am ok not to follow the kutcheri paddhati as formulated by Poochi Iyengar with his student ariyakudi. In this concert starting with YK swarajathi is itself a break from paddhati. Inter music i dont care even though once his guru TMK ended with vathapi.

But breaking within a song where taanam few avartanas are first played by HNB and then vignesh taking over and then jumping to a part of the krithi which has a jathi words and then going to the palavi line ayyanE was a case you rasika you figure out the cohesion. Egilatarianism comes to me post the team work of musicians in stage after mangalam . Musicians like Abhishek also outsource taanam and dot not sing it . But Vignesh deciding tanam itself i can rotate starting with violinist and then vocalist can be okay for marketing purpose for The Hindu writeup of few close and connected musicians. It is not cohesive musical experience as depth gets lost in intra shuffle. I wish vignesh hears say the trivandrum concert where semmangudi sings a taanam and then gives a ST krithi in saveri. Please donot do intra song fragmentation

The violinist played well but with two songs just ending only with neraval he had limited role . I wish vignesh took another 20 mins to go upto 08 45 . I am assuming sabha patron Jaya Balakrishnan is ok till 08 45. Both percussionist played well for songs where manoj gave adequate playing time for karthik , i am not able to recollect anything on their tani as the review is quite late.

All said Vignesh is intensely classical in song selection and he has a great timbre to cruise with deep aural touch.Hope he avoids intra song shuffle.

Overall a very good to excellent concert for 2 hours and 10 mins.

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

========For Whatsapp or FaceBook Forward ===================================

-----------------------------------------------------------------
Vocal : Vignesh Ishwar
Violin : HN Bhaskar
Mrudangam : Manoj Siva
Ghatam - Ghatam Karthick

www.rasikas.org/forums/viewtopic.php?p=377909#p377909

shankarank

Post by shankarank »

Well, many times certain rAga Alapananas leave a void of taanam that hangs in the air begging to be sung. vINai artistes just do it as a practice, but in certain cases I wished vocalists deviate from beaten path and sing one.

And it doesn't have to be a Pallavi that follows instead, a P A and C (i.e. a full kriti). Enna periya Naayana Pillai parambaraiya? - to sing a Pallavi all the time.

A group of us used to discuss this and expressed this wish to ourselves and later actually to some visiting musicians once!

But asking the violinist to do that instead, I agree, creates some discontinuity of tone!