chandra maalkauns

Rāga related discussions
vageyakara

Post by vageyakara »

After viewing and listening yet another New invention by Vidyalak77, it struck my mind to bring to light yet another invention of this above raga by the famous film music singer P.B.Srinivas who , some years back gave the swoorupa of this ragam JAND SANG TOO.
The details are as under

SA GA MA DA NI(KAKILI)SA :-( AROHANAM OF CHANDHRA)
SA NI(KAISIKI) DA MA GA SA(AVA.OF HINDOLAM)
RAMARAJ

vaidyalk77

Post by vaidyalk77 »

Are there any compositions in this raga ?

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

Ramaraj
That is a mellifluous name. Now let us have a kriti and audio for this new creation! It will be nice to hear PBS on it too in case it is available.

meena

Post by meena »

Deleted- posted wrong list!
Last edited by meena on 11 Dec 2007, 02:22, edited 1 time in total.

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

Meena
Thanks for the list, but the raga mentioned by Ramaraj is ChandraMalkauns which is a blend of Chandrakauns Arohana with Malkauns avarOhaNa and it is if at all a rare raga. I guess your list is Chandrakauns (corret me if I am wrong!)

meena

Post by meena »

Sorry i posted Chandrakauns list.

gobilalitha

Post by gobilalitha »

vageyakara, unless,we hear it either on an instument(preferably) or vocally , we will not be able to appreciate exact prayoka of the swaraas. to my knowledge there is no cassette or cd available. ramraj, it will be appreciated , if you yourself compose a song ,sing and post it. i remember an occasion, when swathi(bhuvana), asked you to compose a song in priyadarshini,you composed the song 'SANNIDHIYE SADHA VENDINEN" ,(sadha being the swarakshara), wth the speed of a concord .will you please explain the salient feautures of priyadarshini. I think RajiG,has sung it in her performances. see email about my programme of my stay at madras, when i will have the pleasure of meettng you balu gobilalitha

vageyakara

Post by vageyakara »

Hallo GBL,
The PRIYADHARSHINI KRITI has become popular amongst Chennai audience.My rendering along with Raji'srendering and Vilasini's are available at the following link www.karnatik.com/c3523.shtml
In that kriti even the first of Pallavi Sannidhiye starts with sw.aksh.thus,
SA NI DA NEE and then sadha veNDinen( MatAnin) MA DA NI .
In the caranam line tAmarai ( DA MA RI) malarum (MA MA RI SA) Like that swaraksharam deployment has been profusely done in this kriti.
Sow Raji , Vilasini, and Swathi have all added color to the kriti rendition.
It is also included in the CD TITLED "MADHURADWANI" produced Violin mastero H.N.Bhaskar .
And now coming to the structure of thid ragam:-
A janya of Sarasangi -ArOh:SA RI MA DA NI SA
AvarOh:SA NI DA MA RI SA
I request other CMLovers also to view and listen to this and get back with their observsations.
Ramaraj

vageyakara

Post by vageyakara »

Hallo GBL,
CHANDRA MALKAUNS:-
bHASHANGA RAGAM OF KEERVANI
SA GA MA DA NI SA ( KAKALINI SHADHAM)
SA NI DA MA GA SA (KAISIKI NISHADHAM)
since the very name itself suggests, t he poorvangam consists of the scale of CHANDRA an d the uttaranga consists of malkaunse(hindolam)
Ramaraj

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

Ramaraj
Priyadarshini is indeed a scintillating ragam and is exhilarating in the voice of Raji. I only wish the orchestra to be a bit more subdued. I noticed that the prati madhyam counterpart (from lataangi) is called sarvA^NgI. Are there any kritis in it? If not you should compose one on 'sharvA^NgI (sharva =shiva)' who is kALi ( since the pratimadhyamam will highlight the roudra rasam! Incidentally the same raga is also called 'shaktiprakAshini'. I am sure GBL will love it too!