Malai vaLar - Ayyappan song

To teach and learn Indian classical music
VK RAMAN

Post by VK RAMAN »

CML

I have now uploaded my rendition per your wish.

http://www.acidplanet.com/artist.asp?PID=1102708&t=8859

arasi

Post by arasi »

VKRAMAN,
You have a very nice voice and you sing with bhAvam.
A few observations: alai alaiyAy varum which you repeat a few times would be better if you sing the second alai along with yAy. alai alaiyAy (I hear yAy sung separately which can be a puzzler because yAy does not mean anything on its own).
As I mentioned in the other thread about this song, yAzhtanil seems to fit in there. Since we do not know the composer, we can't check on it.
The overlaps in your singing--was it done on purpose for effect, as in movie music?

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

Thanks and very well done VKR!
You have precisely tried to follow the singer which accounts for the padacchedam that Arasi is commenting on. You have indeed captured the spirit of the original rendition in that 'naLinam' (gentle rendition) as well as the glides. I liked it very much. You have a great potential and now it is time for you to start singing on your own without becoming a 'carbon copy'. Your voice is quite melodious and gamakam prone. Perhaps you should take serious lessons in CM to develop manObhAva. I wish you all the best and thanks again for fulfilling my request!

VK RAMAN

Post by VK RAMAN »

arasi/cml:

Great observation.

I live in Reno Nevada and there are only 4 hindu families. Getting a vidwan to teach is impossible. In fact I got some lessons in 2005 for 8 months in India when I was taking care of my aged and ailing mother. After she passed away, I moved back to US to join my wife and kids. I did learn Rudram, Chamakam, Sooktam and Vishnusahasramam also during that time from a vadyar.

I am now 65! Any other alternatives other than copying others does not seem feasible. I have uploaded like that 154 songs so far and I plan to continue.

Thanks again.

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

Dear VKR
I commend and applaud your dedication. There is no age-limit for CM. But then getting a teacher in remote areas in NA is difficult.. You can learn Rudram, camakam etc and even film-music from reecordings since they are totally imitative; but CM deserves individuality. You seem to have a natural talent. What you need is to experiment on your own sticking to basics. Just get the feel for the ragas (which you already have) and then elaborate. After all you will be doing it for personal enjoyment and any errors do not matter. When you do it on your own you will discover your 'innner self'' which is ineffable! The imitations can never produce that elevated feeling! GOOD LUCK!

Poonam m

Post by Poonam m »

Hi there,

I was looking for any clues for this vernam online and came across this chain of email. I do have the lyrics for this song but can someone tell me the line by line meaning. I am a Bharatnatyam dancer and teacher in US but do not understand the sing language ( I suspect this is in Tamil) at all.

This would be a big help as I am choreographing this Lord Ayyapan vernam for my student.

Thank you in advance

arasi

Post by arasi »

Well said CML and VKR is young indeed and when he is very much into learning, it will keep him young too :)

VKR,
I cannot add anything to what CML says. I am sure you are listening to a lot of quality CM. That would certainly help. Happy listening and singing!

VK RAMAN

Post by VK RAMAN »

Thanks for the encouragement. All your observations are well taken. I use my skills in sampradaya bhajan that is where I use the learnt skills.