Performances BY harmonium artists.

Miscellaneous topics on Carnatic music
gobilalitha

Post by gobilalitha »

I am not able to understand why harmonium performances by leading artists are totally neglected by sabhas. If it is thought, it may not fit in for major slots in the evenings , afternoon short performances at least may be considered. I still relish the olden day cassettes of Palladam Venkatramana Rao. Harmonium is still holding its place of melody in HM performances..Afterall saxaphone has been gladly accepted by cmlovers. why not harmonium?
gobilallitha

mohan

Post by mohan »

I presume harmonium has been superceded by the keyboard/synthesizer

thanjavooran

Post by thanjavooran »

As there was a ban in AIR in early 50s, since then not much playing of this instrument is encouraged. Alathoor venkatesa iyer used to accompany H. Venkatarama shastry [ flute] . Hemabika das's[visually impaired] performance used to be quite enjoyable in those days. As Gopilatha correctly puts in , sabhas should come forward to nurture this art by arranging atleast after noon concerts .
Thanjavooran

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

I am sure there is a reason that I find harmonium enjoyable in HM, but not in CM --- but I don't understand it.

Harmonium, keyboards, synthesisers, drum machines; not for me thanks, but I guess those who enjoy should be given the chance.

We could talk generally about neglect by Sabhas --- and, it seems, that totally carnatic and traditional instrument, the veena, would come high up the list. Violin solo seems fairly limited too. Somebofye else in another thread has commented: wall-to-wall vocal!

vasanthakokilam

Post by vasanthakokilam »

I am sure there is a reason that I find harmonium enjoyable in HM, but not in CM --- but I don't understand it.
This may have something to do with the kind of gamakas employed in CM which are not reproducible on the harmonium

kaumaaram

Post by kaumaaram »

I would recall that AIR started allotting in the initial stages about 15 minutes sometime between 8.15 PM and 8.30 PM. I had listened to Srirangam TR Kannan playing the harmonium during this slot.

I still believe it is a great instrument worthy of introduction in Sabhas. Gamakas and Oscillations are quite possible in a keyboard/harmonium. Visit the following link and listen to the varnam - track 1 - you will be surprised:

http://www.kannadaaudio.com/Songs/Instr ... board1.php
Last edited by kaumaaram on 29 Dec 2008, 17:01, edited 1 time in total.

cookmex

Re: Performances BY harmonium artists.

Post by cookmex »

Glad to enjoy carnatic harmonium ><

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oxwPSIpyLg8

mankuthimma

Post by mankuthimma »

http://chennairasika.wordpress.com/?s=harmonium

I touched upon this , sometime ago.

http://www.mediafire.com/?gfdaie6tjeb2z0c
Blore Sankar singing to the accompaniment of Harmonium.
CM practitioners using it has less to do with Gamaka Issues and more with ability to sing in Sruthi - An aspect which is in a pathetic state today.
Most violinist accompanists dont strive to match the main artist , muse for muse . Are happy to get through with the concert without " incidence ". All part of a happy family on the stage , hell bent on cutting down the risks.This is one of the most depressing thoughts when one attends a concert, these days .
There are so many clones of the big violinists , but only in tone. Not in spirit .
Instead of finding fault with harmonium , let us lament the fall of High quality Violin accompaniment.

http://www.mediafire.com/?3vqqqu4kqo4nir5

Palladams interpretation of Kalyani is my all time favourite . Dripping with the essence of the raga .
Last edited by mankuthimma on 23 Sep 2010, 09:35, edited 1 time in total.

prashanth12

Re:

Post by prashanth12 »

vasanthakokilam wrote: This may have something to do with the kind of gamakas employed in CM which are not reproducible on the harmonium
I think this is exactly why harmonium performances just don't do it for me...seems to lose the essence..

cookmex

Post by cookmex »

Radhika-Rajnarayan

Post by Radhika-Rajnarayan »

It is mainly the use of the chromatic or equal tempered (piano) tuning used in the Harmonium that causes several notes to sound 'apaswaram', as compared to the diatonic scale used in Indian music which is based on natural harmonics and the ensuing ratios.
This is the reason the harmonium was banned from AIR for decades.
A couple of years ago at a conference in Bhopal, several eminent North Indian musicians and musicologists expressed their dissatisfaction with the way the harmonium is used today, in spite of the 'be-sur' sound. If you hear a sarangi and a harmonium accompany a vocalist you can see the difference.

kssr

Post by kssr »

"Kaniyiruppa Kaai Kavarnthatru" -When there is a ripe fruit why choose an unripe one? :)

duff777

Post by duff777 »

I don't know anything about carnatic harmonium, but I think this performance projects a supreme style:

arasi

Post by arasi »

One of the most pleasing harmonium sounds I've heard. Is his name Mahalingam, as we see it in the title?

In hindusthani concerts, yes, I'm used to listening to it as an accompaniment. The sArangi is sweeter, but to me, it sounds sad at times, when the harmonium has a cheerful sound. In bhajanais, yes, and in the old tamizh plays too (the harmonium players were very good). I don't see why they should be accompanying carnatic vocalists, though. With our viru viruppu (tempo) in singing (in HM, viru viruppu comes after a long vilamba kAlam), it certainly isn't that suitable. When we have the violin, the vINA and the nAgasvaram, why do we need the harmonium as concert accompaniment?
Wasn't it Nehru who said: we have to ban this instrument? Sounds cruel, but is it possible that the AIR was influenced by that statement ?;)

tkb

Post by tkb »

I am pleased to give the following links in which my son has attempted to perform on Harmonium. This performance has also given him a thought and he applied for audition for grade in AIR for this instrument as well and is appearing for the local audition on the 3rd Feb'12. With the Grace of Almighty if he get the audition it will be a great blessing. This was a performance almost before 9 months! I am sure he is no way near any of the great artists on Harmonium mentioned in this thread but surely would appreciate that it is a good beginning!

01. Chandrasekara - Sindhubhairavihttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OoVi8kPPLIw

02. Nandhanannu - a Bhajan http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zw-mHTMuOhs

03. Muralidhara Gopala - Maandu - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tGg58HoZISk

04. Jagajanai - Rathipathipriya - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2rBe7VLMSGI

rgds tkb

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

TKB
Very nice to hear your son playing harmonium. I just heard the sindhu bhairavi, mAnd and rathipathipriyA. It is certainly very impressive beginning.

tkb

Post by tkb »

@rajeshnat thank you so much for your impression.

duff777

Post by duff777 »

tkb
Your son has superb musicality and technique, the performances are highly pleasant.

mahavishnu

Post by mahavishnu »

Great job, Satya/tkb sir. I enjoyed all of the pieces.

tkb

Post by tkb »

thank you @duff777 & @mahavishnu

varsha

Post by varsha »

The harmonium was banned , not by Nehru , but a I&B minister in his cabinet BV Keskar ..
-------------------------
So that was a period of say a hiccup . It would be interesting to find out when it made an entry .

---------------------------
Janaki Bakhle;s book - Two men and music points to a period in 1915 when the sessions judge from Dharwar made it a point to push the case of the harmonium into a situation where chaos had prevailed - on the subject of notating music .---
-------------------------------
A lovely book to adorn the shelves of anyone looking for a warm picture of the crusades of Bhatkande And Vishnu Digambar Paluskar
--------------------------------
enjoy these tracks which were used as fillers in AIR , Long long ago
another set of great musicians
http://www.mediafire.com/?ig2shk67bh21gb1
http://www.mediafire.com/?djr1dltx7rmhjxb

tkb

Post by tkb »

@varsha - thanks for the links. Incidentally Sathya has appeared for the local audition on Harmonium today! Hope to make a new beginning on this instrument!

tkb

Post by tkb »

I am happy to inform you that "Sivakami" a member of our forum has given Sathya an oppurtunity to perform a concert on Harmonium to perform on the 6th May'12 in Poompuhar near Sirghazi. I am thankful to the her and importantly to "Rasikas.Org" for being a tool for this opportunity.

The audition went well with Sathya performing Sarasangi - Jaya Jaya Padmanabha - Aalapana, Krithi, Niraval and Swaram follwed by Ranjani Raga aalapana as panel's choice. Awaiting result to get into next level of audition.

gobilalitha

Post by gobilalitha »

best wishes to Satya from a harmonium lover :clap:

varsha

Post by varsha »

best wishes to Satya from another harmonium lover . :)
and here is something from HL to another .
http://www.mediafire.com/?lzu3bobnziw4x1x
I will settle , any day , for a great harmonium player than a poor exponent of the uppish instruments . Ah ! the number of mysteriously beautiful moments here !!!!! . Great Artist - Palladam Venkatramana Rao .

sivakami

Post by sivakami »

importantly to "Rasikas.Org" for being a tool for this opportunity.
Very true!! Our forum has given my family this information about Sathya.

When we decided to arrange a harmonium recital this year, in connection with Radha Kalyana Mahotsavam, I was not aware about Sathya playing the harmonium too. So we had thought about Sri.Palladam Venkatramana Rao garu. When we contacted recently, he was not sure about travelling to poompuhar, due to his old age, although he was keen to perform. Considering the summer heat in the month of May, we were hesitant to subject to stress and strain. Luckily, while browsing our forum, I saw about Sathya's audition. I was excited and thus we are going to have his concert.
I wish to extend our invitation to all the harmonium lovers, rasikas in general, and Sathya's fans :D to come to our ancestral house at poompuhar to enjoy the concert. I shall be posting the details and the invitation once it is ready.

Sivaramakrishnan

Post by Sivaramakrishnan »

I had not listened to Sathya on Harmonium. And he has aptly chosen a low sruti.
High pitched harmonium recitals will not as soothing.

Really wonderful tkb!

Let us know when he gives harmonium next!!

sridhar_ranga

Post by sridhar_ranga »

to come to our ancestral house at poompuhar
Nice to know someone from that part of the country. Along the way to puhar are places connected with music and musicians including Thiruvengadu, Sirkazhi, Chidambaram. Our ancestral village tirunagari is close by, and it has musical connections too. Many musicians with the name 'embar' trace their ancestry to this place (including Sathya's uncle, probably).

thanjavooran

Post by thanjavooran »

This piece of information sharing with forum. The famous Critic Subbudu Avl was an expert Harmonium player. I enjoyed his playing at the Nattuvangam of Srividhya some 40 yrs back @ KGS
Thanjavooran 15 02 2012

hariharan

Post by hariharan »

My best wishes to Sathya. His playing the keyboard is worth listening and surely he is an upcoming Artist.

Harmonium is an integral part of Sampradaya Bhajan from time immemorial. The melody of Harmonium is something unique and attracts listeners and invokes bhakti rasa so quick into one's mind. That is why,may be, the reason for this instrument to be accepted as an integral part of a Bhajan singing and also for Harikatas. I sing bhajans and also play on Harmonium {ofcourse not a professional} and always love to enjoy playing/listening this instrument. I have heard about Late Sri. Devudu, an eminent Harmonist who had accompanied many leading vocalists for Katcheries during 1930s.

tkb

Post by tkb »

I am pleased to inform you all that Sathya has cleared the local audition of AIR, Chennai and is now to present his 30 mts audition on the 12th April'12, which will be recorded and sent to New Delhi for grading. We will fail in our duty if we do not thank Sri. Prasad, a well wisher who had organised a Harmonium for Sathya which in turn was given by M/s Lakshman Sruthi Musicals, a great gesture indeed! We also thank Palladam Venkataramana Rao sir for his expert advice on handling the instrument. We are now in the process of buying a Harmonium.

@sivakami - thanks once again and looking forward to your invite in the forum and interested audience for the event.

@sivaramakrishnan - thanks for the appreciations and yes will surely inform you of his concert and the immidiate one will be in our member Smt. Sivakami's house on the 6th May'12.

@sridhar-rang - yes Sathya's uncle is from there only.

@thanjavooran - thanks for the info and yes Sri. Palladam sir always talks about Sri Subudu's Harmonium presentations.

@hariharan - thanks for your wishes.

sivakami

Post by sivakami »

Many Congratulations to Sathya!!
@sivakami - thanks once again and looking forward to your invite in the forum and interested audience for the event.
Ya, sure!, the invitations are getting ready..
I will send you (as mentioned earlier in our mails), as well as will post in our forum, so that everyone interested can make their appropriate plans.
very eager to listen to Sathya :D

tkb

Post by tkb »

thank you so much and looking forward to the presentation!

thanjavooran

Post by thanjavooran »

Blessings to Sathya,
Very eager to listen to his playing ,
With wishes,
Thanjavooran 25 02 2012

tkb

Post by tkb »

Pleased to inform that Sathya's Harmonium recital under Issaimazhalai Ramjhi's Baala Brahmum in Jaya TV is being telecast on July 19, 2012 (tomorrow) at 730 am (IST). Time permitting please watch same and forward your valuable suggestions / opinion / comments.

tkb

duff777

Post by duff777 »

Thanks tkb.

Glad style, carnatic harmonium and party:

tkb

Post by tkb »

@duff777 thanks so much for the wonderful link! music is just flowing!

thanjavooran

Post by thanjavooran »

Blessings to Sathya and other young artistes. The programme was excellent.
I enjoyed Ramji's introduction as ' Sathya again '
Thanjavooran 19 07 2012

tkb

Post by tkb »

@thajavooran thank you so much and yes it was indeed a great team effort with Sriram on Violin and Akshay Anand on Mrudhangam.

CRama

Post by CRama »

Today Sathya and his team presented a good show. I heard only Sindubhairavi. Surprisingly, Sathya played alapana and swaras for Karunai deivame karpagame. His imagination was good. Congrats tkb for the efforts you and your son have put in .

tkb

Post by tkb »

Thanks to Sri. Pallassana Krishnamurthy Rama Vadhyar, Mumbai for uploading these videos and we are very thankful to him.

Ninuvina - Reethigaula - Rupakam - Syama http://youtu.be/6EXeY8yfe50

Karunai Deivame Karpagame - Sindhubhiaravi - Adi - Madurai T. Srinivasan http://youtu.be/4P-6xYogyoM

tkb

Post by tkb »

Pleased to inform that Sathya has been placed as a "B" Grade Artiste on Harmonium in All India Radio (A.I.R).

rgds tkb

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Congratulations to Sathya!

thanjavooran

Post by thanjavooran »

Congratulations Sathya !
with blessings,
Thanjavooran
02 04 2013

tkb

Post by tkb »

thank you so much sri @rshankar and @thanjavooran.

with respects Sathya

duff777

Post by duff777 »

jshrikanth

Post by jshrikanth »

A World Harmonium Summit is being held in Bangalore from 3rd - 5th Jan 2020.

The 3-day event features several presentations, performances and lec-dems by prominent harmonium maestros from across the globe.

The event is being organized by Bijapure Harmonium Foundation. Visit their website for more details: https://www.bhf.world/