Raga Adijyoti

Rāga related discussions
sumram99

Post by sumram99 »

I was invited for lunch at our fellow forumite Sri. Gopal Kumar's (mgkumars) residence on April 25th. Post lunch we had an excellent music session. I got to hear a young (13 yr old) musician Chi. Adithyanarayanan who is a disciple of Smt. Suguna Varadachari. He sang an excellent Kambhoji alaapanai followed by Evari Mata (with neraval and swaram) and then at another rasika's request he sang Karaharapriya raga alapana. He sang it with total ease and moved the audience with his singing.

As an appreciation of this boy's talent, Gopal took the notes that were not there in both the ragams he sang and instantly came up with a new ragam called Adijyoti which is similar to Shubhapantuvarali except for the Gandharam which is absent in Adijyoti.

Aarohanam: S R M P D N S Avarohanam: S N D P M R S (shuddha rishabham, prati madhyamam, shuddha dhaivatam and kakali nishadam)

What followed this was a simply amazing treat to the ears!! It was a jugalbandi by Sri. Gopal and young Adhitya. Together they elaborated the Raga. (Gopal on Veena and Adithya-vocal)

srinivasrgvn

Post by srinivasrgvn »

Oh!! I know Mr.Gopal. He is one of the most talented Vainikas. I have heard his presentations in YouTube. If you have recorded this jugalbandi, can you please upload it?

sumram99

Post by sumram99 »

Yes, you are correct! Gopal is an excellent Vainika with excellent inherent manodharmam. The jugalbandi was recorded by the Aditya's Uncle and he has promised to send Sri. Gopal the video and I am sure Gopal would upload the same as soon as he gets a copy.
Last edited by sumram99 on 07 May 2009, 19:01, edited 1 time in total.

mgkumars

Post by mgkumars »

Dear Smt. Sumati and Shri. Srinivasrgvn,

Thanks first of all for your kind and warm reception to this (hopefully and supposedly) new raga. It is to the best of my limited knowledge. I would be delighted if the experts here can provide verification to this proposition.

I will post clippings from the video as soon as I receive it myself.

Best regards,
Gopal
Last edited by mgkumars on 08 May 2009, 20:28, edited 1 time in total.

srinivasrgvn

Post by srinivasrgvn »

Mr.Gopal,
Your new raga has the arohanam(S R1 M2 P D1 N3 S) of jAlakEsari, a janya raga of ShubhapantuvarAli
and the avarohanam of (S N3 D1 P M2 R1 S) Godari, a janya of jAlavarAli. This does seem to be a new raga!! Please correct me if I am wrong.
[Source of janyas : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Janya_Ragas]
Last edited by srinivasrgvn on 09 May 2009, 20:20, edited 1 time in total.

mgkumars

Post by mgkumars »

Dear Shri Srinivasrgvn,

Thanks for your wonderful reference and quick research. Based on your reference and research, yes it does appear to be a new raga.

Another interesting observation is that with sruthi bedam of this Raaga (Adijyoti) we end up with 5 other ragas that also appear to be new (with 4 dwi-madyama ragas which are in themselves rare) to the best of my knowledge.

With R1 as Sa: We get Sa M1 M2 P D3 N3 Sa
With Ma as Sa: Sa R1 G1 M1 M2 P Sa
With Pa as Sa: Sa R1 G3 M1 M2 N3 Sa
With Da as Sa: Sa R3 G3 M1 D3 N3 Sa
With Ni as Sa: Sa R1 G1 Pa D1 N1 Sa

This Raga is really fun to elaborate and surprisingly provides good scope as well.

But, I won't be surprised if Dr. M. Balamuralikrishna has already found this one and has a composition in it already :-)

If some one close to Dr. BMK (perhaps Prince Rama Varma who is also a forumite) can shed more light if Dr. BMK has already done this.

Regards,
Gopal

VK RAMAN

Post by VK RAMAN »

If there is a song in this raagam I like to hear too.

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

Let us hear the aalaapana and 'chalan' of this raga, then myself/arasi/Ramaraj will try to compose a sahityam in it ...

mgkumars

Post by mgkumars »

Dear cmlover,

That is indeed such a wonderful offer. I will upload an aalaapanai for this raaga over the next few days and post it.

Thanks and regards,
Gopal

Lakshman

Post by Lakshman »

There is a rAgA called mayUradhvani with SRMPDNS/SNDPMRS as the scale under mELA 45.
This rAgA has been noted by Nadamuni Panditar.
Ref: Pg 196 - Ragapravaham by D.Pattammal & M.N.Dhandapani.

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

Lakshman
Is not mayUradhvani another name for AndOlika?

mgkumars

Post by mgkumars »

Lakshman,

Spectacular find. I am very happy to know the facts. Thanks so much.

Best regards,
Gopal

srinivasrgvn

Post by srinivasrgvn »

Lakshman sir,
Can you please tell me where can I get a copy of the "Ragapravaham" book you have referred to?
It will be very useful for me.
Last edited by srinivasrgvn on 10 May 2009, 10:28, edited 1 time in total.

Lakshman

Post by Lakshman »

It should be available at The Karnatic Music Book Centre in Chennai.

Lakshman

Post by Lakshman »

cmlover: There are four mayUradhvanis listed with different scales. They are janyas of 28, 44,45 and 62.

Vinay

Post by Vinay »

The four mayuradhvanis are listed in the Royal Carpet Expanded Reverse Raaga Janya List:

mayUradhvani S R1 M2 P D1 N3 S-S N3 D1 P M2 R1 S (The one being discussed here)
mayUradhvani S R2 G3 M2 P D1 N2 S-S N2 S D1 M2 R2 S
mayUradhvani S R2 M1 P N2 S-S N2 D2 M1 R2 S (Andolika)
mayUradhvani S R1 G2 M2 P D1 N2 S-S D1 N2 D1 P M2 P G2 R1 S

This mayuradhvani (adijyothi) is also listed as subhamyuradhvani:
shubhamayUradhvani S R1 M2 P D1 N3 S-S N3 D1 P M2 R1 S

Sundar Krishnan

Most appropriate Parent Ragas for each of the 5 GB derived R

Post by Sundar Krishnan »

In the 6th posting dt 08 May 2009 17:16, mgkumars (Mr Gopal) has given 5 Ragams that can be arrived at based on GB from MayUraDhwani = ShubhaMayUraDhwani = AdiJyoti.

I am curious to know what the most appropriate choice of the Parent Ragam would be for each of the above 5 Ragams.

For this analysis, let us assume the most likely choice out of the 4 flavours :
MayUraDhwani = ShubhaMayUraDhwani = AdiJyoti :
| S R1 . M2 P D1 N3 S . | . S N3 D1 P M2 . R1 S
is a (Gandharam varjya) janya of 45 - ShubhaPantuVarALi.

PS : I could only count 3 Ragams with both M1 and M2 (not 4 ?).
The last one is M varjya.

Thanks in advance.